Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an '06 Speed6 GT. My wife and I had test driven another Speed6 GT, and she commented on how weird the clutch action was, even though she doesn't read forums like this, and I hadn't mentioned the issue.

We decided to get a different vehicle from the one we test drove originally, and she commented immediately on the test drive about how the clutch felt better. It feels fine to me, but then I really didn't have a problem with the first one we drove, either.

I can't find the post (it may have been on a different website) saying that Speed6's built 05/06 and later have a clutch modification. Sure enough, the born on date on mine is 05/06.

Is this real? All I can say is, the clutch on mine took about five shifts to get used to, and then it was fine.

By the way, this is a great car. Nothing can touch it for the sub-25K price. I have an '02 WRX Wagon I am getting rid of, and the Speed6 is making me quickly forget the WRX.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have no issues with my clutch...10/05 build date. Every clutch is different. Go drive an '04 Cobra and you'll see that the clutch in the MS6 is gravy. I drove one of those till I felt like I needed a new knee. I can drive the MS6 like an automatic if I have the wife in the car. You guys just need practice.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have no issues with my clutch...10/05 build date. Every clutch is different. Go drive an '04 Cobra and you'll see that the clutch in the MS6 is gravy. I drove one of those till I felt like I needed a new knee. I can drive the MS6 like an automatic if I have the wife in the car. You guys just need practice.
[/b]
LOL ... yeh the 04 cobra clutch is heavy for sure .. I think he is talking about the over all feel of the MS6 clutch ... I have drove alot of different clutches and the MS6 clutch definately takes some time to get used to compared to other vehicles I have driven ....

Crowley

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wasn't talking about the clutch weight, since it is quite low. I was talking about the weird cam action that the other Speed6 I drove had. Mine shows almost none of that.

I've driven an '04 Cobra, and it isn't that bad. I had a '70 428 Cobra Jet Mach 1 that had a real man's clutch. After that, anything is light.

·
Registered
97 Posts
some speed6's have an on/off clutch and some have a normal clutch.

i drove an 07 speed6 and the clutch is totally different from an early 06 speed6 clutch. the difference is like night and day. so at some point mazda did indeed completely and utterly change the clutch setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts