Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last winter when I got my oil change and got my summer tires replaced to snow tires they did a fix for me they said when they test drove it they fixed the clutch shudder and I was happy about it. Now it seems like its back has anyone have similar problems?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I need someone to describe this clutch shudder people keep having....do I have and not realize thats what it is? I am simply going to replace the clutch and flywheel...that will be my solution, but may not be practical in other peoples case.

So fpallato...I'm intrested in a description of what it is...because in all honesty...I may very well have it, and I am ignoring it.

If clutch shudder is when i left off the clutch, and give it a bit of gas, but not quite enough....and I get hesitation from the clutch and engine (clutch feels like it wants to cut the engine) then yes, I have it.

My wanting to change the clutch is because I am at 74K kms...the clutch has never been changed, and I may very well be due for a new one....but if I put the car in fifth and let the clutch out I have a clean engine stall. No hesitation. If I do a third gear pull from 20 kph to 120 kph...I have no apparent clutch slippage when looking at the tach. Those two situations tell me my clutch is fine for now...maybe.

am I off the mark?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I get clutch shudder from time to time. I just get on the car a couple of times when launching and it seems to go away. Most of the time when it happens it is because I am feathering the cluth too slow.

CLaman,

If you had shudder you would know it. The hesitation you are feeling is from the engine and cluth RPM's not matching. Shudder fells like someone is shaking you car's engine around. I guess if you could imagine the hesitation you feel happening 5-10 times in a row really quick (1-2) seconds then that is it.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Last winter when I got my oil change and got my summer tires replaced to snow tires they did a fix for me they said when they test drove it they fixed the clutch shudder and I was happy about it. Now it seems like its back has anyone have similar problems?
[/b]
hey, do they charge u to change ur winter tires? cz the bolts for mine are freakin rusty, and i'd applied every method i have and every tools i've got, and it wont budge....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
once we get them off, I can sandblast them for you....but you'd have to come to my house and we'd take care of that here....

have you tried the breaker bar method?

but getting back on topic,.....so essentially I am a lucky SOB...and didnt get a lemon this time...woo hooo...thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
once we get them off, I can sandblast them for you....but you'd have to come to my house and we'd take care of that here....

have you tried the breaker bar method?

but getting back on topic,.....so essentially I am a lucky SOB...and didnt get a lemon this time...woo hooo...thanks for the clarification
[/b]
lol thanks for the offer.... my only worry is that i couldnt even get the tires off..... breaker bar??? what's that???? will i damage anything?

·
Registered
605 Posts
:huh: :laugh:

It's like brake "pads" all over again. Muhahahaha

·
Registered
46 Posts
[/b]
take it to your dealer and tell them what's up. Mazda has had problems with clutches in a few vehicles. My 2002 Protege 5 had it's clutch replaced (under warranty) at about 20,000K. a friend had his done on his '03 Miata for the same problem. there's a TSB for the 6:

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about2813.html

hope this helps.

-s

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
EVERY method??

Eeeeiiiiwww! Gross!!!! You f-ing sicko!
[/b]
Yes, every method... even my own personal lubricant !!! LOL... :jackoff: DAMN IT !!!

ok not to hijack the thread... LOL

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
He spits on it :)

Anyways, back to the topic at hand: clutch shudder.

My car's had it since day-1. On day-1, mind you, I already had 15K on the clock. I've already spoken to Mazda regarding the issue and I'm pretty much SOL since I approached them after 20K. The shudder was mild and intermittent up to about 30K, but after that it got worse and more regular. When I finally got around to talking to my dealer about it, it was too late (from a warranty perspective).

Clutch judder is quite obvious. As mentioned above, it feels like the car's being shaken (sometimes quite severely) when the clutch is being engaged. For me it gets more pronounced when the clutch surface has warmed up, after a period of driving, as well as when relative humidity in the atmosphere is high, like on a rainy day. Naturally, when I have more passengers in the car I get it more often as compared to when I'm alone in the car.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will drop it off to the dealer my problem is I have around 23K so I dont think they will honour the warranty. :(

take it to your dealer and tell them what's up. Mazda has had problems with clutches in a few vehicles. My 2002 Protege 5 had it's clutch replaced (under warranty) at about 20,000K. a friend had his done on his '03 Miata for the same problem. there's a TSB for the 6:

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about2813.html

hope this helps.

-s
[/b]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will drop it off to the dealer my problem is I have around 23K so I dont think they will honour the warranty. :(
[/b]
print that TSB and take it with you!! my P5 had 22,000K on it when they replaced the clutch. Downtown Mazda did it. flashing (updating the code/programming) the ECU won't do shit for your clutch. they're BS'ing you.

-s

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
TSB is not always applicable
you don't use it if it doesn't solve the problem
c'mon guys use your brain...

if you're out of warranty you request for a goodwill
it's totally up to the service manager

print that TSB and take it with you!! my P5 had 22,000K on it when they replaced the clutch. Downtown Mazda did it. flashing (updating the code/programming) the ECU won't do shit for your clutch. they're BS'ing you.

-s
[/b]
Flashing the ECU (Emission Control Unit) would not help your transmission --> hence Emission
Flashing the PCM (Power Control Module) would help your transmission
if the problem lies within a glitch in the PCM, it might help by updating it

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Blue they did flash my PCM last service but the shudder came back :(
TSB is not always applicable
you don't use it if it doesn't solve the problem
c'mon guys use your brain...

if you're out of warranty you request for a goodwill
it's totally up to the service manager
Flashing the ECU (Emission Control Unit) would not help your transmission --> hence Emission
Flashing the PCM (Power Control Module) would help your transmission
if the problem lies within a glitch in the PCM, it might help by updating it
[/b]

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
if the problem is intermittent
than it's hard to solve it
if it's a repeated problem and the dealer had 2 chances to fix it, I would consider addressing it to the service manager
or you can call Mazda Canada
they ll do an investigation and help you fix your car pronto
Mazda Canada has master tech that can assist them in fixing the car

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
11 Participants
Squireglig
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing