Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mazda just rejected my clutch replacement as goodwill. They said it was rejected because I dont get my service done at the Mazda dealerships. This is rediculous.

Due to all the problems that countless people have endured, I am going to look into the possiblities of a class action lawsuit. I really know nothing about this, but I think Mazda USA is trying their best to rip people off.

PS- I have negotiated a price to purchase a MazdaSPEED6. I don't know if I will make this purchase.

·
Registered
281 Posts
2 gravey
There are many people here has such problems. Just read topics and you will know what to do.

P.S. At Ukraine clutch have 100K km waranty

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did exactly what everyone else did. I have been fighting for over 3 weeks.

I hate Mazda right now.

·
Registered
281 Posts
How much that clutch last ? more than 30K miles ?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
wow that has got to be the most rediculous reason for a denial. What about a different dealership?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Mazda just rejected my clutch replacement as goodwill. They said it was rejected because I dont get my service done at the Mazda dealerships. This is rediculous.

Due to all the problems that countless people have endured, I am going to look into the possiblities of a class action lawsuit. I really know nothing about this, but I think Mazda USA is trying their best to rip people off.

PS- I have negotiated a price to purchase a MazdaSPEED6. I don't know if I will make this purchase. [/b]

I don't know your whole situation but you mention a "goodwill" replacement. I'm assuming that you're somehow past a warranty point or for some other reason the factory warranty doesn't specifically apply in this case.

You have to remember that Mazda or any other car manufacturer is not legally obligated to do any more than is stated in the written warranty. This also means that they can't legally deny you warranty coverage just because of something silly like your not bringing your car to their dealerships for routine service.

I worked for GM many years ago and we did a lot of that same sort of "goodwill" work, but it was strictly on a case-by-case basis. I've also been the victim in later years of GM sticking it up my ass over a transmission failure that was due to a known TSB issue. Because the car was "too far out of warranty" they refused to do anything and left me holding the bag for a $1800 trans rebuild. TSB's aren't automatic warranty repairs.

And class action suits usually take years to even get started, much less settled. At best, after all the lawyers have taken their cuts the people who are collecting for the damages get a pittance.

If you indeed feel you've been treated unfairly, you're certainly within your rights to bring it up with Mazda North America, and you can also definitely shop elsewhere for your next vehicle if you don't feel like giving Mazda any more of your money.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow that has got to be the most rediculous reason for a denial. What about a different dealership?
[/b]
this was the second dealership i went to. i first broguht my car to another dealership looking to get some things fixed that were messed up. i also explained that i was have reving issues only at speed. they told me i needed a new clutch and that my brakes and rotors were shot and needed to be replaced. i just had my brakes looked at and i was told they were fine. therefore, i was a bit suspicious. i then learned of all the clutch problems. i called mazda corporate. they told me to take it to another dealer. i took it to the dealer that i purchased the car from which was 44.8 miles away from my house at the time that i purchased the car. it now is over 32 miles away.

koya- my clutch lasted 45k.

my problem is that i had decided to replace my 6s with a speed6. now, i dont know if its a good idea. my delimma is that i dont really like any other cars all that much.

i guess the best thing for me to do is to file in small claims court like everyone else.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would bring up the fact you want to buy a mazdaspeed6, but if mazda isnt going to stand behind their products, screw them, go buy something else...

·
Registered
281 Posts
gravey
If you really want to buy it, then buy it.
Every cars have problems, some less, some more.
Just look thru this forum and find good dealer in your region.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Dude, your clutch lasted almost four times the warranty on it. And you actually expect them to replace it? Come on. I know 45K ain't all that long for a clutch to last, but it's also well outside the point where its failure could be reasonably caused by a manufacturer or assembly defect. That's more reasonable to occur in about half that time.

And don't waste your time on small claims. The judge is just going to say the same thing. In a civil case you have to prove with a preponderance of evidence that your claim is true. The evidence points to the early failures of clutches in the V6 to primarly occur within 15-25K miles -- half the time that your failed, and a much more reasonable time frame to conclude that the failure was a result of a manufacturer or assembly defect. The general assumption is that if you can make it to 30K miles you've got a "good one". Yours went 45K, so it's probably not a result of the same defect.

That's not to say that your failure isn't the result of similar circumstances. But there's no way that you can prove it and 45K is certainly well outside what most people would reasonably conclude is a defect that Mazda could have prevented. You can come up with all the evidence that a clutch should last at least 100K miles all you want; simple fact is that 45K is four times the normal clutch warranty and Mazda has absolutely no obligation whatsoever to even consider replacement, let alone actually do it.

And even if you could prove without a doubt that it was a defect, there is absolutely no way to win that in court. Mazda has ZERO obligation to repair something after the warranty is expired, no matter how much you think that they "should". Mazda fulfilled their end of the bargain 100% and that's all that's going to matter to a Judge. Your opinion on how long a clutch should last has no bearing at all.

And their explanation as to why they won't repair it might be completely stupid, but unlike warranty repairs, manufacturers can deny goodwill repairs for whatever reason they want. They can deny because you looked at them funny if they want.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
sigma is right on the money. keep in mind that the clutch is warrantied for replacement up to 12k miles. at some point driving style affects clucth performance. not everything comes defected from the factory. just my 2C.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
i work for a mazda service department, i'm just putting that out there for significance. ok, first off, as stated above 12k is the warranty, true it sucks, but mazda, or any other company cant warranty clutches all day every day, because there are alot of people who abuse them, i'm not saying you dont know how to drive so dont get me wrong.

what i will say with MAJOR emphasis, i can 100% tell you that if you had been getting your services done at a dealer they would have goodwilled it for you. i have been with mazda for 2 months and have seen them goodwill more shit then i had ever seen with jeep in 2 years, or nissan in a year. they stand by their customers. however, car companies make more money off service then they do actually selling cars, if you dont go to them for service your not a regular customer, you just purchased a car from the company. if you dont show loyalty to them, why do they need to goodwill you a clutch at 45k.

just some fuel for the fire. i apologize if i came off bad. just saying, think of it in their perspective. oh and forget about trying another dealer, once its been sent in for goodwill its done. no other dealer will have better luck, its MOA decision. either way good luck with the situation

1 - 12 of 12 Posts