Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Mazda 6 with the 4 Cylinder, Manual Transmission. It is my wife's daily driver. For the past few months the car has been getting harder to put in gear (especially reverse). It has finally gotten to a point where it does not want to go into gear at all. The pedal goes almost all the way to the floor with no resistance. The slave cylinder is moving once the pedal hits the floor. Then the pedal does not return. I do know a little bit about cars, so I attempted to bleed the slave cylinder. The first time I loosened the bleeder alot of air came out. Bled it a couple more times till we got all fluid. Wife said she had a good pedal, so she drove it up the road. Did fine for a while, but was doing the same thing when she got back home. Tried bleeding it again and got alot of small air bubble out of it. It still has the same problem. How often do the slave cylinders wear out in these cars. It has roughly 110,000 on it. Also, where would I find the master cylinder at? It looks like the brakes and clutch use the same master cylinder. Not really wanting to take it to a dealer to see what is wrong. Just wondering if anyone here had any ideas. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I do know a little bit about cars, so I attempted to bleed the slave cylinder. The first time I loosened the bleeder alot of air came out. Bled it a couple more times till we got all fluid. Wife said she had a good pedal, so she drove it up the road. Did fine for a while, but was doing the same thing when she got back home. Tried bleeding it again and got alot of small air bubble out of it. It still has the same problem.
If air is getting back into the system, then that is almost certianly the cause of your problems. There might be an issue with the seals in the master or slave cylinder, or a problem with the tubing between the two. Check carefully for signs of a fluid leak everywhere you can think of-- if fluid is getting out somewhere, then air is probably gettting in at the same location.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The fluid will also brake down after time. If you can not see a leak or if it is not losing fluid mysteriously (leaking in to master cylinder). try just changing the fluid its cheap and easy start.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My clutch pedal is hard and a crunching noise comes out of the gearbox when the clutch is depressed. There is no play on the clutch when it's on top. Does anyone know what the casue might be?

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
its not hard to figure out. its going to be 1 of 3 things. air in the system. or a failed clutch master, or slave cylinder. personally id just replace it all to cover your bases.

you can buy a new clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder, and even a braided stainless clutch line for less then $80 total. and after that, you will have fully brand new clutch hydraulic system.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
4 ^ i just solved this problem for ed4ward1982 its the pedal assembly
True, the whole thing moves left to right.

Thx again

Sent from my VZW Samsung Fascinate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
justsomeguy
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing