Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im new to the forum and just purchased a few weeks ago a 06 6s with an mtx. from the day i bought it, everytime i go to start it, i have to practicly stand on the clutch pedal to start it. the clutch doesnt feel like its goin out or anything, it shifts fine, it doesnt slip, just when i start it i really have to put all my weight on the pedal, its frustrating. can anyone help me, i have spent a long time on here trying to find someone with similar problems but found nothing. thanks guys and lookin forward to coming here for all my help. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (dcolpaert @ Feb 10 2009, 08:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1517868
Hi, im new to the forum and just purchased a few weeks ago a 06 6s with an mtx. from the day i bought it, everytime i go to start it, i have to practicly stand on the clutch pedal to start it. the clutch doesnt feel like its goin out or anything, it shifts fine, it doesnt slip, just when i start it i really have to put all my weight on the pedal, its frustrating. can anyone help me, i have spent a long time on here trying to find someone with similar problems but found nothing. thanks guys and lookin forward to coming here for all my help. :)[/b]

It sounds like you have a leak in your master clutch cylinder (the hydrolic thingy you push with your pedal) First, check your fluid level. The clutch and brake fluids share the same reservoir against the firewall behind the engine. This means that excessive brake wear can lead to low clutch fluid. If your fluid level is low, look into bleeding the lines. There are topics on it perhaps here, and def. one on another site:
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=206

If the fluids are fine, then likely your master cylinder is leaking, and this could just be internally. A dysfunctional Master Cyl. will cause the pedal to lose functionality, responsiveness, as if you're not getting anywhere by pushing it down. You can feel it. On the other hand, if the slave cylinder (the one below on the clutch that responds to the hydrolic pressure) leaks, or "done broke" your pedal movement will feel just fine, with little change in the same slip point, but to little effect: everything feels fine, but the clutch is not disengaging, shifting is difficult.

Beyond that, look around for how to "adjust the clutch pedal" there was a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) released by Mazda on fixing awkward clutch feel, involving replacing major clutch parts and the pedal, which the dealer should fix for free, and forum users have also posted info on how to make small adjustments in just the pedal yourself. Something that can adjust is something that could have moved on you.

Best of luck, and may your clutch live longer than mine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you mean that it wont crank at all unless you press the clutch really hard? If so, it could be your clutch safety switch is either bad or adjusted wrong (I'm not sure if / how it can be adjusted, someone else help me out here). Look at this thread, it is the main "adjust your clutch" thread that neoshade mentioned, it has a little bit of info regarding the starter safety switch. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
168 Posts
99.9% sure its your pressure switch. The same think happened to me a few months ago. If you duck down an take a look behind your clutch pedal there will be a small box with a button. The box has come loose. When you press the clutch to start the car the pedal depresses the button and allows you to start the car. I am a manager @ a trucking company and one of our mechanics taped the box back into position for me. It worked like a charm for a few days then came loose again. I finally decided to have him disconnect it entirely for me, so now the car starts without having to have the clutch pressed. It works for me but can be dangerous if you like to leave your car in gear. The only time I ever do so is when parked on an incline. In the beginning I had gotten used to not having to press the clutch and forgotten I had left the car in gear a couple of times and looked like a 'tard when I started the car and it lunged forward like a mf'er. I like it now and it has enabled me to add a remote start to the car too. Guarntee thats your issue!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
it's the switch...had the same issue on my speed6, dealership adjusted it for me....some others have added things to the bottom of pedal to activate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
6 Participants
06speedemon
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing