Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 6i 5 speed with 100K on it and the original clutch. For the last few months (about 8K miles) my clutch pedal has been creaking (for lack of a better word) whenever I push it in. I could feel it in the pedal, the function was fine, it just made noise. I was under the car this weekend doing an oil change and decided to find the source of the creak. I had my wife get in the car and work the pedal. Turns out the noise was coming from inside the transmission. So, I pulled the boot off the clutch fork hole and got my video scope out. Everything looked fine, just quite a bit of clutch dust. I took a can of brake cleaner and gave it 3 shots, about 2 seconds each inside the housing. One toward the top of the fork, one toward the middle and one toward the bottom. I had my wife work the clutch again, the creak was gone! I did the same 3 shots on the other side of the fork (the side toward the slave cylinder) for good measure. After I was done I got in the car myself and pushed the clutch pedal. It was so light, I thought I might have done some damage. I took the car for a test drive, the clutch pedal feels AWESOME, no problems at all. It feels like cutting through warm butter it is so smooth and light. I wish I had done this long ago!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Hmmmm.... very interesting. I have the same issue with my 6s. I might give this a shot next time I change my oil.

Edit: BTW.... excellent post.

·
Registered
135 Posts
QUOTE (the-commuter @ Aug 4 2009, 07:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1588611
I have an 03 6i 5 speed with 100K on it and the original clutch. For the last few months (about 8K miles) my clutch pedal has been creaking (for lack of a better word) whenever I push it in. I could feel it in the pedal, the function was fine, it just made noise. I was under the car this weekend doing an oil change and decided to find the source of the creak. I had my wife get in the car and work the pedal. Turns out the noise was coming from inside the transmission. So, I pulled the boot off the clutch fork hole and got my video scope out. Everything looked fine, just quite a bit of clutch dust. I took a can of brake cleaner and gave it 3 shots, about 2 seconds each inside the housing. One toward the top of the fork, one toward the middle and one toward the bottom. I had my wife work the clutch again, the creak was gone! I did the same 3 shots on the other side of the fork (the side toward the slave cylinder) for good measure. After I was done I got in the car myself and pushed the clutch pedal. It was so light, I thought I might have done some damage. I took the car for a test drive, the clutch pedal feels AWESOME, no problems at all. It feels like cutting through warm butter it is so smooth and light. I wish I had done this long ago![/b]
I also have a weird sound coming from my clutch. Is the sound kind of like a light knocking/creaking noise? I've personally never done any work on my clutch, so how difficult is this? Can I get any service shop to do something like this and how much do you think it would cost?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (Kimistry @ Aug 6 2009, 09:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1589366
I also have a weird sound coming from my clutch. Is the sound kind of like a light knocking/creaking noise? I've personally never done any work on my clutch, so how difficult is this? Can I get any service shop to do something like this and how much do you think it would cost?

Thanks in advance.[/b]
If you do your own oil changes, this cleaning is EASY. Just move the rubber boot that the fork runs through aside. If you are unsure where that is, with the car on ramps and blocked, have someone push the clutch pedal in then release it several times. You will see the salve cylinder actuating the clutch fork, the boot is around the clutch fork (you should also hear the creaking coming from inside the transmission). Pull the boot back and, using a can of brake cleaner, spray parallel with the clutch fork, toward the top, middle and bottom on both sides ofthe fork. Again, 3, 2 second sprays per side should do. Before you put the boot back in place, have someone actuat the clutch and verify that the noise is gone.

·
Registered
426 Posts
:TTIWWP:

Just for convenience a picture of the boot would help. Also, I would love to hear input with regard to this method, as my understanding is that if you are going to clean a boot then it needs to be greased afterwards to prevent rust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (ttshark @ Aug 9 2009, 07:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1590388
:
Just for convenience a picture of the boot would help. Also, I would love to hear input with regard to this method, as my understanding is that if you are going to clean a boot then it needs to be greased afterwards to prevent rust.[/b]

I will take a picture of the boot when I do my next oil change (around the first of September). There is no grease required as this is a dust boot (apparently it keeps dust out as well as in).

I have put 3000 miles on my car since the cleaning (a lot of stop and go commute traffic) the clutch pedal still feels great and has no creaking or popping at all.!

·
Registered
426 Posts
QUOTE (the-commuter @ Aug 13 2009, 11:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1591481
I will take a picture of the boot when I don my next oil change (around the first of September). There is no grease required as this is a dust boot (apparently it keeps dust out as well as in).[/b]
crazy. Well I look forward to getting rid of that annoying squeak. In fact i'm putting some MT-90 in tomorrow, I'll see if I can do without a picture.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Okay after the drags cooked the padding on my belly pan I decided to check why the smell of burnt clutch kept lingering. Following common sense I figured out which was the clutch dust boot and when I opened it dust spewed out at my face. I didn't want to clean it with brake dust cleaner (mainly because I don't have any), so I cleaned it with an old toothbrush and witnessed CHUNKS of clutch fall to the floor. Pics of the boot that should be removed as well as the crap that came out of mine is below.

Where it is:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9942/img307512.jpg

What to do:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5353/img30731.jpg

My Result:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7996/img30691b.jpg

·
Registered
135 Posts
QUOTE (ttshark @ Aug 21 2009, 02:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1593929
Okay after the drags cooked the padding on my belly pan I decided to check why the smell of burnt clutch kept lingering. Following common sense I figured out which was the clutch dust boot and when I opened it dust spewed out at my face. I didn\\\'t want to clean it with brake dust cleaner (mainly because I don\\\'t have any), so I cleaned it with an old toothbrush and witnessed CHUNKS of clutch fall to the floor. Pics of the boot that should be removed as well as the crap that came out of mine is below.

Where it is:

What to do:

My Result:
[/b]
Are you suggesting that cleaning it out made your creaking go away too?

·
Registered
426 Posts
QUOTE (Kimistry @ Aug 25 2009, 07:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1594887
Are you suggesting that cleaning it out made your creaking go away too?[/b]
Yes it did. It did not make mine so much easier to push in but it is definitely quieter now. Sorry about the massive images, don't know what happened. I posted them as links originally. Sorry to anyone on slow connections.

·
Registered
426 Posts
okay after further investigation into this issue I have deemed this method as USELESS!

I was driving on the freeway recently and the clutch squeak got so bad I thought my clutch failed. Cleaning out the dust boot does nothing but keep it... clean.

What you need to do is apply grease at the 90 degree angle where the slave cylinder piston meets the clutch fork (held together with a massive bolt that cannot be removed).

Also, peeling back the dust boot and spraying cleaner into the hole is a BAD IDEA! You are actually spraying very very very close to your clutch and flywheel. Also, do NOT peel back any rubber boots and apply grease under them. I will link an image from the lotus forum as reference.

Do NOT apply grease where the red X is. Do NOT Apply grease anywhere up part 21. In between part 11 and 12 is where the piston and clutch fork (21) meet. You need to apply grease in between the piston and fork. You may need to pry apart the piston and clutch fork to do so or get someone to press on your clutch. You need to apply ALOT of grease just make sure you do not apply it anywhere else as you may ruin your slave cylinder or make your clutch slip. ONLY AT THE LOCATION BETWEEN 11 AND 12

note: if you continue to hear a squeak even after greasing, try locate the squeak, chances are your clutch pedal needs a little greasing as well, just avoid the cylinder piston if you do.

[attachment=44701:clutch.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Clutch pedal Creak

I had this same issue, but I found that spraying some oil onto the actual pin that goes into the master cylinder inside the car stops the noise. Happens every few months for me. The rubber boot rubs against the pin.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay after the drags cooked the padding on my belly pan I decided to check why the smell of burnt clutch kept lingering. Following common sense I figured out which was the clutch dust boot and when I opened it dust spewed out at my face. I didn't want to clean it with brake dust cleaner (mainly because I don't have any), so I cleaned it with an old toothbrush and witnessed CHUNKS of clutch fall to the floor. Pics of the boot that should be removed as well as the crap that came out of mine is below.

Where it is:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9942/img307512.jpg

What to do:
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5353/img30731.jpg

My Result:
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7996/img30691b.jpg

I know this is a super old thread, but can anyone tell me where the clutch dust boot is located? I'm getting terrible creaks from my clutch and cannot find the sucker.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
james_ksx
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing