Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read through the "clutch issues" thread above, and while some of it seemed to be similar to what's happening to me - it didn't sound exactly like what I've got going on.

I have a 2004 mazda 6 (v6) that for some time (off & on, but now more "on") seems to have either a clutch or transmission issue. Many in the other thread mentioned a "shudder", but that's not exactly what I'm experiencing. As I let the clutch out from a stopped position, the transmission will engage...but will be very slow to respond (if that makes sense). The RPMs will rise....almost to red line if I let it. It's as if the speed of the car is "catching up" to the rpms. Same thing will continue to happen as I up shift, through every gear. Even crusing along at highway speed - if I go to accelerate, the tach/rpms will shoot up....but the speed of the car will be VERY slow to respond. I've now got about 28k miles on the car (purchased new in March '05).

It has done this since I first purchased it, and as I said was just every once in a while at first - but now seems to be a constant problem. Now, this morning - pulling into my work parking lot, I've also noticed a strange odor coming from the engine. I did take the car to the dealer over a year ago for regular oil change, etc & asked them to check it out....with the response they thought the clutch was going up (....and would not be a warranty covered repair, btw). The car only had about 12k on it then. I thought no way it could be the clutch - that it seemed more like a transmission issue because the car goes into gear fine, and I have no issues changing gears. But, then again, I'm no mechanic & don't claim to know anything & have had enough mechanics use every technical term they can think off to blow something by me.

Anyone experience anything similar? Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Tom

·
Registered
279 Posts
seem like your clutch is shot, but to test put it in fifth (at a stop), pull the ebrake, and pop the clutch. If engine doesn't die immediately your clutch is toast.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
you can also get up to 20 mph then put it in 5th and floor it. If the rpms fluctuate you'll notice, and that'll show your clutch is slipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses....yup, it's the clutch. Made an appt. to drop it off & it broke down on the way. The more I search the net on mazda6 clutch issues, the more it seems like this has been a problem for more than a few people. I'm 42 & have been driving M/T cars all my life & have never had a clutch go up....much less with 28k miles.

According to the service writer, unless there's a defect found once they get into the job - it's not covered under warranty. I told him to be ready to call the mazda rep. He even tried telling me he hasn't seen any issues with the clutches.....

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
As much as I like my service writer, I caught him in a lie the last time I had my car in for a repair. I've had 2 coilpacks take a dive in 4000 miles and he said he'd never had a 6 come in with that problem before, much less one car with 2 coilpacks.

I spoke with someone on a DFW Mazda board that says he's had 4 coilpacks replaced at my dealership. I find it hard to believe that my service writer hadn't heard about even 1 of his 4 visits.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Thanks for the responses....yup, it's the clutch. Made an appt. to drop it off & it broke down on the way. The more I search the net on mazda6 clutch issues, the more it seems like this has been a problem for more than a few people. I'm 42 & have been driving M/T cars all my life & have never had a clutch go up....much less with 28k miles.

According to the service writer, unless there's a defect found once they get into the job - it's not covered under warranty. I told him to be ready to call the mazda rep. He even tried telling me he hasn't seen any issues with the clutches.....[/b]
a defect such as the clutch exploding? cause thats what happened to mine but apparently thats not covered under warranty. mind you it was at 16k miles too, just out of the 12k warranty range.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the car back last Thursday & over the weekend I'm already getting the odor and the same play (the rpms would shoot up) that was happening before the clutch/fly wheel replacement. Took it back to the dealer yesterday - and the service advisor had the mechanic who worked on it go for a drive with me. No sooner had we pulled out onto the main road & he got into 2nd and the problem happened for him. He made the first turn & back into the dealership, saying "that's not right" - now says it must also be a bad slave cylinder. He took the time to explain how it works - but was a little cautious answering my questions....guess he could tell I was fishing for if this would be a warranty issue & would give me any recourse on my having the clutch repair covered as well. He did acknowledge that the bad slave cylinder could cause the clutch to go up prematurely.

By coincidence, from the mazda dealer - we had to go to the volvo dealer to pick up another of our cars that was in for a recall/software upgade. I've known that service writer for about 5 years & told him what had happened - he felt like I'd have a case that the clutch should have been covered - due to the premature wear caused by the bad slave cylinder.

Still can't believe they didn't detect that back at 20k miles when I had it in.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
If in the end you do have a bad slave cylinder and he told you that a bad slave cylinder can cause pre-mature clutch wear, then you should be able to get everything covered by warranty. The clutch going out would then be due to a mechanical failure, which is covered by warranty. Thats exactly what I was told when I was getting my clutch job, that if the clutch had exploded due to a mechanical failure (such as a bad slave cylinder) then it would have been covered by warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
xshellshock
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing