Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Been a while since I've been on. Clicking off the miles on my 2014 Touring 6MT, closing in on 70K miles.

Maybe it's because I'd been driving a lighter car for ever ('01 Focus), or I drive this one like an A-Hole, but getting a bit of chatter out of the trans. Sounds like throwout bearing. Trying to find options for clutch kit(s). Not having a whole lot of luck. Has anyone had a clutch job done? Done by dealer, other mechanic, DIY (looks like a BIG job)? Where'd you find the clutch kit/parts?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Gotta love Bob Tasca! List prices in parens.

2014 Mazda 6 Clutch Parts

YF08-11-303 $11.23 ($15.60) Pilot Bearing
PY01-16-520 $25.61 ($35.57) Release Fork
LF01-16-510 $37.45 ($52.03) Release/Throw-out Bearing
PY01-16-410 $110.63 ($153.69) Pressure Plate
PY01-16-460 $118.58 ($164.73) Clutch Disc
So, about $300 in parts. Probably a LOT more in labor. Saw a YouTube vid on what's involved. Yikes!

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Clutch jobs on FWD cars are a PAIN IN THE BUTT.

I've looked at the shop manual for the procedure and it looks roughly comparable to my TDI Jetta. With that said I have 150k+ on my 2015 "6" MT and the stock clutch is behaving just fine -- and my Jetta has 250k on it (!!), now owned and driven by my daughter who learned to drive on the car, and it TOO has the factory clutch in it.

The latter one I expect to have to change soon, and I'm not looking forward to it. I don't expect to be doing the one in my "6" for a while yet.

The big issue is that you need to use a support bar for the engine because disconnecting and dropping the trans means removing the mount on the driver side plus getting whatever is in the way of it coming out of the engine bay out of the way. BTW when you do the clutch take a CLOSE look at the rear main seal; if it is showing ANY signs of leakage change it as you really, really won't like having to pull the gearbox AGAIN if it's leaking and you don't!

If you pay someone to do it expect it to be around $1k or more. It's typically an all-day job no matter how you slice it and pay close attention to the one-time-use bolts in various places (don't even think about re-using anything that's torque-to-yield.)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I believe Spec makes a clutch kit for our cars as well if you want an upgraded version, Just contact them.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clutch jobs on FWD cars are a PAIN IN THE BUTT.

I've looked at the shop manual for the procedure and it looks roughly comparable to my TDI Jetta. With that said I have 150k+ on my 2015 "6" MT and the stock clutch is behaving just fine -- and my Jetta has 250k on it (!!), now owned and driven by my daughter who learned to drive on the car, and it TOO has the factory clutch in it.

The latter one I expect to have to change soon, and I'm not looking forward to it. I don't expect to be doing the one in my "6" for a while yet.

The big issue is that you need to use a support bar for the engine because disconnecting and dropping the trans means removing the mount on the driver side plus getting whatever is in the way of it coming out of the engine bay out of the way. BTW when you do the clutch take a CLOSE look at the rear main seal; if it is showing ANY signs of leakage change it as you really, really won't like having to pull the gearbox AGAIN if it's leaking and you don't!

If you pay someone to do it expect it to be around $1k or more. It's typically an all-day job no matter how you slice it and pay close attention to the one-time-use bolts in various places (don't even think about re-using anything that's torque-to-yield.)
I had a little over 154,000 on my '01 Focus before its first/only clutch job. Traded it in at 248,000 for the M6.

(Lack of) longevity is most likely driver-related. Either it's me still driving it like the lighter Focus (I think it's like 500lbs lighter), or just like an a-hole...probably the latter :smile2:

...then again, I got it used...so there's about 10K unaccounted for miles...I'll blame the previous owner!

Lack of garage & lift means this one's gonna be jobbed out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe Spec makes a clutch kit for our cars as well if you want an upgraded version, Just contact them.
Strange...when I go to the site, 2014-2016 aren't on the drop-down list. But, looking at the prices in your image, I'll stick with the OEM replacement and try to do a better job with the next clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts