Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be an odd question, but with all the clutch banter going on lately, I am wondering what is involved in a clutch job on these cars? I am driving an SVT Contour right now (my frist venture into FWD and Xverse motors), and a clutch job is something like $1500-1900 because of what is involved in getting to the clutch (what happens when you wedge a V6 into an I4 space). Namely removing the subframe, or removing the whole motor. I understand this is a problem with many transverse mounted engine/transaxle applications. Since the mazda 6, shares some design cues from the Mondeo/Contour lineage (namely the same engine applications aside from the 6), I was wondering if the clutch/transaxle is accessible? Has anyone seen what the labor costs involved in a clutch job are? Having dealt with clutch issue in my car, i have decided this will weigh heavily on my next car purchase. Subies are supposedly easy because the engine is mounted longitudally, and i have heard the VW's have plenty of room to work on the clutch too.

Also a quick opinion on many of your clutch complaints. My clutch also engages very high, and very short (like 1-2 inches). I can basically lay my foot on the pedal and dissengage the clutch. Now I happen to like this, it makes for very quick shifts, and very long clutch disc life (the disc is not what failed on mine). I found the transition to the speed 6 rather easy in my test drive.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
The work involved with the Mazda6 is exactly the same as that involved in the Contique.

But if you're paying $1500-1900 in a Contique I hope that's Canadian dollars or something. Clutch job should be ~$500 in labor on the outside and ~$1000 in labor at a dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The work involved with the Mazda6 is exactly the same as that involved in the Contique.

But if you're paying $1500-1900 in a Contique I hope that's Canadian dollars or something. Clutch job should be ~$500 in labor on the outside and ~$1000 in labor at a dealer.
[/b]

I dunno, $1500 total parts and labor seems to be the accepted number over on contour.org. From a dealer. I believe the manual lists it as 9 hours labor, ~300 or so in parts.

Argh on the 6 being the same. I wonder if its even tougher given the AWD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts