Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just wanted to get your input. Just changed the clutch out on my 06 6i. Everything seemed to go good. Torqued everything down including the new flywheel and pressure plate. When I installed the slave cylinder back on the transmission I noticed that it had to travel a lot further to hit the clutch fork than when I pulled it off. Anyone else run into this issue? Also, does anyone know the travel on the clutch fork between engaged and disengaged? I’m getting about 3/4” of travel. I’d just like to get this figured out before I put everything back together. I had to start it up, figure out it doesn’t work and have to tear everything apart again. Thanks for any help

·
Rally Racer
2,282 Posts
Manual Transmission Clutch Pedal Adjustment and Exploded Diagram for G35M-R & A65M-R

Hey everyone. Just wanted to get your input. Just changed the clutch out on my 06 6i. Everything seemed to go good. Torqued everything down including the new flywheel and pressure plate. When I installed the slave cylinder back on the transmission I noticed that it had to travel a lot further to hit the clutch fork than when I pulled it off. Anyone else run into this issue? Also, does anyone know the travel on the clutch fork between engaged and disengaged? I’m getting about 3/4” of travel. I’d just like to get this figured out before I put everything back together. I had to start it up, figure out it doesn’t work and have to tear everything apart again. Thanks for any help

Welcome to the forum.

When you put a new cover (pressure plate) and disk there is frequently a change in both fork throw (pedal height) and release force. The best thing is to make sure that everything is facing the correct direction (clutch disk) and torqued in sequence flat and centered.
I am attaching what I have for both the G35M-R and A65M-R transmissions as I don't know what you have in your 2006. Best of luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that info DrFeelgood. It’s been harder than usual to find any source of information on this car over the interweb. I definitely need to check my travel as soon as I get done.
I was hoping Mazda had a spec or something for the travel on the clutch fork or on the slave cylinder rod itself. Initially I pulled the clutch because the old one wasn’t engaging all the way. My car wanted to still move while the clutch was pressed in. I tore it apart and found some broken fingers on the pressure plate. Everything seemed to go back together fine. When I went to install the slave cylinder though the rod had to extend quite a ways before it made contact with the clutch fork. It had a Exedy clutch in it and replaced it with a Luk. It acts like either the throwout bearing on the old one was deeper than the new one or the pressure plate isn’t as thick and takes the throw out bearing traveling a greater distance before it hits on the pressure plate.
I did put the car in gear, made a mark in the differential and cranked over the engine by hand. The marked moved to a different spot. I then did the same thing with a person depressing the clutch and it stayed in the same location so I’m fairly confident the clutch is working, atleast while not under a load. Just kinda weird to me that the rod on the slave had to extend that far before it contacted the clutch fork after I changed out the clutch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts