Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so i've been having clutch problems like a lot of you on the board. I have taken it in to the dealer before, they "could not reproduce it." Problem is, it happens most of the time in the cold... now that it is SUMMER it does not happen very often, but i know it will return in the winter. So, I need some help to prove my case.

So, if you are an Mazda 6 owner with a manual transmission... and a clutch problem with shuddering. PLease state your case and also your results with the dealers... part numbers for replacements would be appreciated also.

Hopefully, this list will help me and countless other owners experiencing this problem. I hope this thread can be a reference used to print up and show dealers the extent of this problem. Please reply soon, as I need to take my car in ASAP.

1) Mazda 6i 2003, manual transmission. Encountered the shuddering problem around 8,000 miles especially in cold weather. Shifting between 1st and 2nd created MAJOR shudder and sounds like its tearing apart the car. The shudder goes away after the car warms up, but is still annoying, unsettling, dangerous, and unacceptable.

Took it into the dealership, they experienced some shudder, but said they had no other 6i manuals to compare it to. Left untouched and not fixed.

Please no discussion, unless you are experiencing clutch shutter, this thread is for the purpose of bringing it to a dealer. Something nice and clean. thank you.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Reading Topic: CLutch Issues

Same here 6S 5sp (duh)
Same thing happens the dealer cant get it to do it and wont touch it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Replying to Topic 'CLutch Issues'

Ours shudders usually on starts and sometimes on the 1st to 2nd shift but it only does it for 2-4 starts and then it works fine mostly. Ive noticed that when crawling along in traffic in 1st gear and i push in the clutch the whole car will jerk like the tranny fell off. Also every time i get out of the car after its been running for awhile you can smell the clutch burning very bad. So its going in monday and i seriously doubt they will find any faults with it. We are currentyly at 17.8k and it started around 16k miles. FUN TIMES! woo hoo. :(

·
Registered
680 Posts

I experience a very light shudder from time to time when I creep uphill in first gear. Nothing like what everyone else here describes. My car has less than 10k right now. I figured that my clutch is still breaking in because the vast majority of my driving is highway, and I rarely use the clutch anyway. It is definitely a problem if it shakes the entire vehicle.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Replying to Topic 'CLutch Issues'

Well, mine started around 11,000 miles if i remember correctly. At the time, it would only happen when I let out the clutch between 1,000-1500RPM. I took it to a Mazda dealer in Ypsilante, MI in November of 2003 for this issue along with a rattle coming from the rear parcel shelf. The technician diagnosed it as clutch glaze and recommended that I release the clutch between 1500 and 2000 RPM, which i have been doing ever since.

As I understand it, clutch glaze occurs when the clutch overheats. I know that I am not an expert stickshift driver, BUT i do know that I let the clutch out faster than most people I've ever seen drive stick. I can get off the clutch within half a car length, even in traffic. I do not drag race and dump the clutch at high revs, and about 3/4 of all shifts (whether up or down) i match revs perfectly so that there's no driveline jerkiness.

Now, 11,000 miles later, the shudder is consistent in the morning when i first start the car and drive off. Anytime there's a lot of humidity, or when it is cool in the morning, the car will shudder terribly, shaking the entire car when i release the clutch at a regular speed. The only way to avoid it is to ride the clutch. After about five minutes when the engine is totally warm, the shudder goes away, but is still able to be replicated at 1,000-1,500 RPM for a little while. Likewise, if i start in second gear, the car will shudder when cold, even worse than in first gear. The shudder i experience is NOT anything like me letting the clutch out too fast, the car doesn't bunny hop, just shake.

When i went in for my 20,000 mile service at Wellesley Mazda in MA, i told the service advisor about the problem. A technician once again drove my car, with me in it describing the problem. He took it out on a steep hill and let the clutch slip slowly and alas, no shudder! He did tell me about a cooing problem with the clutch on the 6 he had seen. He also described a cold shudder problem that Mazda had with the Miata. He said he would call the Mazda help hotline to see if the problem was known, but i don't know if he actually did. I've had nothing but good experiences at Wellesley Mazda, and i don't blame them for not being able to replicate the condition. Right now, I'm waiting for it to get bad enough so that the dealer can diagnose it and fix it, but it is definitely ANNOYING THE HELL OUT OF ME!:rant

·
Registered
229 Posts

I have a 6s, it shudders every morning so hard that the rear of the car makes knocking noise. I thought it was the muffler banging on the floor of the rear trunk but it is not. It is something else and I can't seem to figure out what it is.

One thing is certain though, this has been a characteristic of the car since it had about 1500 miles.

·
Registered
377 Posts

yeup.. sounds like my car.. 6i..

well..i jus dropped it off at the dealer.. they gonna try to reproduce the shudder tmr morning.. so wish me luk that it throws them around a couple times.. lol hopefully they won't bitch about mmy intake and exhaust... haha..

wish me luk.. i want a new clutch/flywheel

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've noticed the clutch shudder too, especially from 1 to 2 on a cold morning, but I haven't noticed any burning smell from the clutch. And the shudder is quite sporadic, so I'm not going to worry too much yet. If it gets worse, I may have to take it in to be looked at, though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The clutch on my 6i shudders also mostly from 1st to 2nd, happens even in the summer time before the car is warmed up. It's very annoying and my dealer also said "Couldn't reproduce it"

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yep same thing for me, I've booked mine in about a month from now, going to leave it overnight and see what they find in the morning. I will let you guys know what happens, mine happens everytime so they should almost definately encounter it themselves.

It won't be leaving the shop until it is fixed so I will let you know what they do and what caused it etc.

Cheers,
MC

·
Registered
323 Posts
Clutch glazing isn't unique to Mazda. A person blows their cluch in 30K so they replace it. That Friday night they take it to the strip to see how well their car runs with the new clutch. It heats up and goes away again.

I'll bet even money you all took delivery of your 6's and couldn't wait to race the first car next to you. Or see how the car came out of the hole under full power. I think your problem goes back to those silly salespersons you delt with.

"Mister or Mrs. Customer. You are taking delivery of a new car. Please no hard power starts. Please no hard stops. Until you change your oil. Sometime before 3K. We give you two free oil changes. My service department will contact you. For 25.00 I change the oil every 3 K. But it'sd your car and the service manual says you can go more miles. For the first 500 miles don't use the cruise." Have any of you ever heard that?

Stay after it though. If it's a problem you're covered 4 yr. or 50,000 provided mazda can't prove you abused your car. Trust me, I'll never tell.

I thought the clutch was a little soft in the V6. But I am just a dumb sales person. :lol:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
buzzard, trust me, i think we are more responsible drivers than that.

for me, it started around 5k miles, and i got my clutch replaced. this time i babied the clutch so much it got frustrating. still, 5k miles later...its starting to shudder again, even worse this time.

someone should send this thread to mazda immediately! i want a new rx-8. emotional distress.

B

·
0 Posts
I have noticed some pretty bad clutch shudder myself especially right when i pull out and start to drive in first, and even sometimes after i'm in second. I love my car very much and i'm very sad to see how many problems people are having with the clutch later on (seeing as how mine has only 600km on it!!!) to see this problem so early is scary, and like others have said the only way to get rid of the shudder is to ride the clutch which is bad for it in the end anyways! After a while it stops tho... i hope theres some kind of solution for this :swearin:

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's really refreshing to see everyone doesn't race. :love:

I would think since there are more 3's sold with standards they might be having the same problem. But then I think NO the 3 first came out in 04. Plus the fact it's 2.3 is pulling less weight than the 6.

Here is an area where I'll ask cause I don't know. Is the clutch size in the 3 S the same as the 6 I?

Call Mazda - Owners manual has an 800#. Each delivery I make I require the customer to read the Lemon laws. Mazda has put it into a book to protect YOU the customer. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
1st gear only for me. Cold mornings make it worse. The car has done 16,000 km (Australia) and I didn't give it too much of a hard time before the problem manifested iteself.

My dealer has spoken to Mazda and they've been given the go-ahead to replace mine but there is a delay due to short supply. I suspect there may be plenty of others out there with the same problem. The dealer says they've only had one other reported case but isn't this what would you expect?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have a 2003 6i and my clutch chatter started around 4000 or 5000 miles. I have reported it every time I went to the dealer and they finally addressed the issue at my 16000 mile oil change.

Fix 1, 16000 miles
"Bleed and Adjust Clutch"
No help, just made the clutch feel different but problem still existed.

Fix 2, 20000 miles(today)
They said they are overnighting a new clutch and pressure plate and replacing the assembly. They are inspecting the flywheel for wear and will replace that if it shows wear. I will post more detail of the fix when I get the car back and have a work order to reference.

C

·
0 Posts
I'm curious if anyone has noticed that the problem disappears after the vehicle warms up...I'm not talking about the coolant temperature but the entire drivetrain temp. It's a typical problem in all vehicles that you would get clutch shudder when the vehicle is cold, it should go away after the clutch heats up.

I've personally noticed the same issue but it's not a problem to be concerned with as it's simply a situation relating to temperature. Go easy on it to warm everything up and everything will be fine. Up here in Alberta we have some very cold mornings so I've seen this "issue" several times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
CanGTV6,

As the whole drivetrain warms up, the problem does all but disappear.

This clutch shudder is not normal cold clutch shudder - even if I do go very easily while the drivetrain is cold, there remains very pronounced shudder which passenegers comment on. I've had a number of other cars with manual transmissions but this is way worse than the worst of them. For a car of the 6's quality, it is unacceptable. The dealer agrees.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts