Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 mazda 6. Had to replace the transmission and clutch. I installed the new clutch and the transmission. When i had the car on jackstands i cranked it up. The car was in nuetrual and both wheels where turning. I tried to put it in gear. It wouldnt go into gear. When the car was off i put it into gear and the qheels still turned freely. I pushed the clutch pedal and can see the slave cylinder engage the fork. The wheels keep turning though. If i apply the brakes the car doesnt die. Any ideas. I jeep seeing that i might have put the disk in backwards. Any help would be appreciated. Im in the processes of pulling the transmission out again.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If your wheels were turning when in neutral, then it was not in neutral.
Considering that and the fact that it won't go into gear, I suspect you have to adjust your linkage to the new transmission.
If your wheels keep turning when the clutch is depressed then yes, your disk could be backwards.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Maybe, but very slow and will not match the engine's change in rpm. Guess we'll know if the OP provides further details.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay bear with me people. Trying to do stuff in the drive way in Arkansas weather while working full time during the day in the winter months is hard. Weather is so hit or miss. So here is an update. It's not good. So I pulled the trans again, pulled the clutch. First, the clutch was installed correctly. However, the bolts on the pressure plate where not tightened down. So I tightened those down. After installing the transmission I put the linkages in. Threw the axles in to test clutch engagement. Now, After I put the axles in, I had my wife get into the car, she put the clutch in and put the vehicle into gear. It wouldn't let me turn the axles with the car in gear. That's a good sign. We ran through all the gears and it worked. Last night I put the sub frame back in. Noticed the axles spun freely with the car in gear again. So it is not working again. I find this weird because it was working and now it's not working. Any ideas before I pull the transmission again. I am about through with this dang car. I don't want to be, I really like it however, I can't really see sinking more money into it, but I am so damn tired of working on a front wheel drive car and everything being awkward and tight as hell.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Not sure how you are doing the test. If both wheels are up in the air (or no wheels are on), when in gear, one axle will spin IF the other axle or wheel is free. One spins in one direction and the other one in the opposite one.
If one wheel is on the ground, the other one should only spin when in neutral or with the clutch pressed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure how you are doing the test. If both wheels are up in the air (or no wheels are on), when in gear, one axle will spin IF the other axle or wheel is free. One spins in one direction and the other one in the opposite one.
If one wheel is on the ground, the other one should only spin when in neutral or with the clutch pressed.
But there should be resistance with the vehicle in gear. Correct. If one person holds one axle and i spin the other I shouldnt get any movement correct?

·
Registered
559 Posts
If one person holds one axle:
- The other one should not spin if the vehicle is in gear and should only spin if in neutral or with the clutch pressed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Finally the clutch and trans replacement is completed. Got a few minor things to button up but it's done. Fired her up on some jack stands, went through the gears, everything seems to function as intended. I guess Ill find out on my next day off. Two things I learned. Do not do projects in the winter time in Arkansas. Weather is unpredictable. Do not do projects in the driveway in the winter. Sunlight doesn't last long after 4 oclock.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So what was the issue? loose pressure plate?
Yes, pressure plate wasn't tightened down. Now, I have another issue. I am burning something. I keep getting some burnt oil coming from the back side. I used a bunch of de-greaser got most of it off. Drove it around two days ago. It stopped. Well, this morning I cranked it up and let her idle for a while. Started to see a little bit of smoke. Smells like it's probably a small oil leak. I replaced the valve cover gaskets when I got the car. I knew that was a leak. I think the person who sold it to me got over on me. Any ideas before I sell it. I am in the car for less than 3 grand. I am almost sure I can get my money back out of it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts