Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im on my way home from work today and Im shifting through gears off of a light. Im not giving it much gas at all but when I get into third I do give it a little extra gas. When it reaches about 4500 RPMs the car starts to shutter a little (kinda like it does when u dont give it enough gas) and I dont get any acceleration. I looked down at the RPM gauge and after about 2 seconds it stops shuttering and all the sudden I have acceleration again. Now I noticed this once or twice over the past few days and attributed it to having the heat on, but the heat wasn’t on this afternoon and it was 75 degree's. Any ideas? Am I looking at needing a clutch? If so, should I purchase anything else like a flywheel at the same time, since Im already gonna be paying a mechanic to do the install? Any help would be great. I got a 8 month old that I take to and from daycare everyday and really don't wanna be stuck on the side of the road with him.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
it sounds like it could be your clutch. try getting up to 20 mph and dropping it into 5th and flooring it. just watch the rpms and see if they fluctuate. And you're going to need to either replace or machine the flywheel anyway, so I would personally upgrade to one of the lighter ones. I absolutely love my fidanza. It freed up some good power especially in the lower gears and rpms.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it sounds like it could be your clutch. try getting up to 20 mph and dropping it into 5th and flooring it. just watch the rpms and see if they fluctuate. And you're going to need to either replace or machine the flywheel anyway, so I would personally upgrade to one of the lighter ones. I absolutely love my fidanza. It freed up some good power especially in the lower gears and rpms.[/b]
I did what you mentioned and it didn't shutter at all. It went straight into gear without any shutter and the rpm guage just dropped to around 1100. What does that mean? Is that a good thing our a bad thing?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I did what you mentioned and it didn't shutter at all. It went straight into gear without any shutter and the rpm guage just dropped to around 1100. What does that mean? Is that a good thing our a bad thing?[/b]
if no fluctuation then the clutch is still good for now at least.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does it act when your on a hill and you have to use the clutch from rolling back?[/b]
It seems to be fine with that. The issue is starting to happen in 3rd 4th and 5th now, but only if I hit the gas. It also seems like the engine is "building up" before going when I do that (if anyone can figure out what I mean by that). I don't feel the clutch slip at all in any gear, it just seems like its not getting the power and then all the sudden the RPMs rev up and it goes like nothing wrong. I also noticed on a few particularly cold mornings since this started that when at idle the RPM guage is bouncing between 500 and 1500 pretty heavy, even after the car has warmed up for a while. Could this be a further symptom or most likely unrelated?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I'm gonna take my car in tomorrow and get it looked at. Im starting to think it may be a throttle body problem after reading through a ton of forums. I'll let you all know when I get back. Im sure they are gonna try to screw me, but we will see.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If it is your clutch, you will see the rpms shoot up faster than normal. You can be doing 50+ down the road, and hit the gas hard, and the needle will fly up, even though your not actually moving any faster.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
My clutch was replaced already as well and basically, usually in 2nd or 3rd gear or even 5th if you're on a highway, you just drive along and step on your gas harder to accelerate and the RPMs will shoot up and you won't go any faster and then it'll catch and your car will suddenly accelerate. It will totally feel like you're driving an automatic and you floor it, then there's that slight hesitation before the car downshifts and then you accelerate. It kinda feels like that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My clutch was replaced already as well and basically, usually in 2nd or 3rd gear or even 5th if you're on a highway, you just drive along and step on your gas harder to accelerate and the RPMs will shoot up and you won't go any faster and then it'll catch and your car will suddenly accelerate. It will totally feel like you're driving an automatic and you floor it, then there's that slight hesitation before the car downshifts and then you accelerate. It kinda feels like that.[/b]
That sounds exactly what I've been experiencing. So I know I said I was going to the dealership to get it looked at but they royally pissed me off. Basically, they told me one thing on the phone, I drove an hour and a half up there and got a whole new story when I arrived. Im just gonna go to my local AAMCO and have them look at it. If the clutch is the problem Im probably just gonna buy the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch that CVR Motorsports has for $297.00. Thats a great price. Any opinions on that clutch? Any opinions on if I should let AAMCO install it or the dealership?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To close out an old post I ended up getting the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and having Aamco install it. No more shuttering and much better all round feel. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
780 Posts
To close out an old post I ended up getting the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and having Aamco install it. No more shuttering and much better all round feel. Couldn't be happier.[/b]

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm at 74k miles and my RPM's surges when I'm cruising and i stomp on the gas and then drops back down. How much was your install? And, anyione how much longer i can drive with this clutch going out?

·
Registered
179 Posts
To close out an old post I ended up getting the Exedy Stage 1 Clutch and having Aamco install it. No more shuttering and much better all round feel. Couldn't be happier.[/b]
How much did labor cost you? Did you have to replace any other parts? Or did you upgrade the flywheel or anything?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
GerryB
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing