Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Speed is currently at around 3000 miles, and a few days ago, I noticed something strange. My clutch's engagement point changed. Before, when it was new, the engagement point was near the top of the clutch travel, requiring me to operate the clutch with my knees instead of ankles.

I might have been doing this for a while, but I just noticed that I now use my ankles to engage my clutch, and the engagement point is now in the middle of the travel. While I welcome the change, I was wondering if this was unusual and something I should worry about? It drives the same, everything is normal; it's just easier to start off now. Any one experienced the same thing?

·
Registered
676 Posts
My Speed is currently at around 3000 miles, and a few days ago, I noticed something strange. My clutch's engagement point changed. Before, when it was new, the engagement point was near the top of the clutch travel, requiring me to operate the clutch with my knees instead of ankles.

I might have been doing this for a while, but I just noticed that I now use my ankles to engage my clutch, and the engagement point is now in the middle of the travel. While I welcome the change, I was wondering if this was unusual and something I should worry about? It drives the same, everything is normal; it's just easier to start off now. Any one experienced the same thing?
[/b]
While I dont have a S6 yet... I have heard that the engagement points are different for different cars and I wonder why is this? I hope we get some xpert answers

·
Registered
583 Posts
it will change back. get it some time. mine has done the same thing and i have had two clutches in my speed. first change at 3800 miles and the second is at 5700 miles now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
it will change back. get it some time. mine has done the same thing and i have had two clutches in my speed. first change at 3800 miles and the second is at 5700 miles now.
[/b]
U have had 2 ,becides the stock ? please tell me thats not the case. if so ure driving habitts need to change..

·
Registered
583 Posts
i love the smell so i never take my foot off of the clutch. the smell lets you know its working.

jk. the first clutch was faulty and replaced under warranty and i am on the second. but i have noticed shifts in the engagement point on the two.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i love the smell so i never take my foot off of the clutch. the smell lets you know its working.
jk. the first clutch was faulty and replaced under warranty and i am on the second. but i have noticed shifts in the engagement point on the two.
[/b]
o- ok makes sence now.

·
Registered
238 Posts
the first thing i did when i got my 6 was adjust the clutch pedal. it sucks to havea clutch that grabs at the top of its travel. not to mention the throw was too long. you can fix both with a couple wrenches, 5 minutes and crawling under you dash with a flashlight.
there's a stop screw which adjusts how far out the clutch pedal will stop, (it comes from the factory higher than the brake peadal, real dumb) so shorten your throw that way. but then you must adjust the clutch plunger adjuster bolt which is what the pedal actually pushes in, make it shorter and lock the lock nut.
there, short throw early release clutch. enjoy

·
Registered
676 Posts
Broken08 I love you ... you are hear by elevated to god status on this board
:) - jk but seriously "I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you." - Anchorman

could you possibly get a couple of pictures of where these screws and bolts are under the dash... thanx

·
Registered
238 Posts
[attachmentid=12034]
Broken08 I love you ... you are hear by elevated to god status on this board
:) - jk but seriously "I wanna say something. I'm gonna put it out there; if you like it, you can take it, if you don't, send it right back. I want to be on you." - Anchorman

could you possibly get a couple of pictures of where these screws and bolts are under the dash... thanx
[/b]
Better than pictures, here's a picture i made. Did you know I'm a graphic artist? enjoy, let me know how it goes. i'll repost this as a whole new thread too.
-sean

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, it does explain well.. well done broken08..
but I seem to get used to the clutch now, can't be bother to adjust it so that I have to adjust myself.. unless there will be some way to make the engagement position wider.. not like on/off.

·
Registered
676 Posts
[attachmentid=12034]

Better than pictures, here's a picture i made. Did you know I'm a graphic artist? enjoy, let me know how it goes. i'll repost this as a whole new thread too.
-sean
[/b]
now that I have my car :D i have 2 questions
1) will making the clutch stop further back (even with the brake pedal) cause the clutch not to be fully engaged and therefore slip/wear faster
2)how the heck do you make screw the rod in further I tried to screw it in and out and wouldnt budge :huh:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
bump

has this idea died off in the last 6 weeks? i just got my car monday and compared to my 3's clutch, this one seems to be easy-hard-easy for effort, and off-on-off engagement wise. guess i'll hit the search

·
Registered
217 Posts
I am going to try this. I would venture to guess that this adjustment is meant to help dealerships help drivers. Therefore, I would be it won't cause any problems at all...but just a guess.

Nice job broken08!!! Thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
I am going to try this. I would venture to guess that this adjustment is meant to help dealerships help drivers. Therefore, I would be it won't cause any problems at all...but just a guess.

Nice job broken08!!! Thanks
[/b]
:nono: If you change the engagement point to be later, with out properly adjusting the stop point, you could induce premature wear because the clutch might not be fully engaged. Or if you change the point to be sooner, you might cause premature wear because the clutch face might not be fully disengaging from the fly. Just be careful as you could :swearin: up your clutch

:D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
yesterday i adjusted the clutch a few different times, and i got it close to what i'd like (aka feels like my mazda3) but it wasnt perfect. today my dad bought a new set of metric open ended wrenches so its much easier to adjust now, despite still having to lay on my back under the wheel.

i adjusted it to one spot where it was a much short clutch throw, but the pedal was vibrating a bit too much for me to feel comfortable that it wasnt fully engaged. so, i threaded in the rod a bit, but now im nervous that it wont fully DISengage. gar! :irate:

will someone post a pic of what it looks like from the factory so i can get it back to relatively factory spec, then adjust it little by little? :unsure:

thanks!!

·
Registered
676 Posts
yesterday i adjusted the clutch a few different times, and i got it close to what i'd like (aka feels like my mazda3) but it wasnt perfect. today my dad bought a new set of metric open ended wrenches so its much easier to adjust now, despite still having to lay on my back under the wheel.

i adjusted it to one spot where it was a much short clutch throw, but the pedal was vibrating a bit too much for me to feel comfortable that it wasnt fully engaged. so, i threaded in the rod a bit, but now im nervous that it wont fully DISengage. gar! :irate:

will someone post a pic of what it looks like from the factory so i can get it back to relatively factory spec, then adjust it little by little? :unsure:

thanks!!
[/b]
dude that sucks, you cant say we didnt warn you though. should have left well enough alone

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
dude that sucks, you cant say we didnt warn you though. should have left well enough alone
[/b]

i know you had warned against it, but it was worth the effort to try and change it. it was pretty unpleasant as it was so i am happy to have it better adjusted. what i was missing was the few mm's of play at the top and bottom by which to assure full dis/engagement.

anyways, i should probably introduce myself since I'll be hanging around (and ill get to it on the noob thread too). I just got my ms6 last week and its a VR Sport. :drive: i was previously driving a 3hatch in strato blue.

i live around DC and go to law school there, but im in Syracuse all summer where im working and have a great 20 mile commute each day, lol.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'm not a fan of this clutch either - not the smoothest I've ever used. I know I've become spoiled with the great clutch action on many imports today, however, this clutch has a terrible engagement point (very late) and is difficult to operate smoothly. Other than the majority who are probably just living with it, has anyone else dared to make an adjustment that has shown an improvement??

·
Registered
583 Posts
my friends won't stop making fun of me for the jerky driving. they don't udnerstand that its the clutch and not me. i can drive most mtx smooth as a baby's bottom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I've been using a clutch for the last 10 years but this is a bitch to use when your not thinking about it. My wife keeps asking me if I feel ok. :irate: I always stall it the in the morning because I want to raise my foot just a little but with that easy-hard-easy clutch pressure it takes a bit getting use too. Do you hear me Mazda, I know you guys could fix, this do you hear me Mazda! I have never seen this problem (I'm calling it a problem from now on) in any other car. I've have driven a Toyota that was too light, a Camero that was too heavy but within a day you could get use to them. By the way my Eclipse was just right even after a 2100 ACT clutch installed.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
22 Participants
cfdp
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing