Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a month of waiting on ordered vehicle, dealer called today to say that Mazda "kicked out" the order because of one of their infamous option mis-matches. Dealer also said there is a vehicle at another dealer that has everything except the leather interior, but that they could swap it out for us.

Anyone had the dealer swap out the cloth seats for leather? Did they do a good job? Anything for which I should be on the lookout?

I also seem to recall that the leather interior gives you different door panels (simulated leather instead of cloth?). Could someone w/leather verify that please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replying to Topic 'Cloth To Leather Swap'

Thanks for the replies. If the car looks like "crap" I certainly will not buy it, however, as I stated in my original post, this car has everything else we wanted.

According to this article in the Detroit News, Mazda will be shutting down production for a while to reduce inventory. I don't want to get into the back of a queue that's not even moving!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Reading Topic: Cloth To Leather Swap

pgmr,

I just posted this to another person on this board who also got their order kicked out. US dealers can start ordering the '04 Mazda6 in just 3 days (May 16). So if you can wait till Sep/Oct for delivery, this may be an option. There may be option packaging differences with the '04 though, so you'd have to work with your dealer to spec out a '04 with the options you want.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

pgmr,
one other thing you need to look at is if they swap out the cloth and put in leather, you also may not get the comfort package (heated seats, and heated side mirrors). Not sure if you care, but just wanted to let you know.

-yasir

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

I almost went this route myself. The dealer would've done the heated leather, but would not/could not do the heated mirrors, so it's not quite the comfort package. However, the dealer indicated the leather quality would have exceeded the OEM leather used.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Well if there going to guarantee the work then why not. If they want to put all the time into doing it I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

According to this article in the Detroit News, Mazda will be shutting down production for a while to reduce inventory.  I don't want to get into the back of a queue that's not even moving![/b]
4 cyl automatics, anybody?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Originally posted by davecoyne

I almost went this route myself.  The dealer would've done the heated leather, but would not/could not do the heated mirrors, so it's not quite the comfort package.  However, the dealer indicated the leather quality would have exceeded the OEM leather used.[/b]
I had a similar problem. I bought a 6 and the salesman assured me it had factory leather even though the online inventory said it did not have leather. The car was delivered to me -- minus any leather. I told him to stick it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

The whole point of doing this was so the wife could have the "bun warmers"! :) The dealer said it was no problem to install the leather and the heaters. Never thought about the mirror heaters. Don't really care about them, but if I'm not getting the entire comfort pkg, I shouldn't be paying for it.

Dave, you bring up an interesting question: Is the swapped leather an entire seat swap or just the seat material being changed? From your statement I'm thinking they are just reskinning the existing seats. I'll need to call them and confirm what they are planning on doing. Did they say anything re: the door panels to you?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

To your first point, yes lower price.

The dealer I dealt with indicated it would be a re-skin of the existing seats. It may be BS, but the dealer indicated it would not be a swap out because they would have to bust the bolts on the rear seats attached to the frame. I just think they were being lazy.

Nothing about the door panels. Also, keep in mind that the dealer installed option as presented to me did not include the side airbags, which I believe are built into the leather seats. I could be wrong on this last point, though.

BTW, where are you at in Indiana?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Thanks, Dave. This car has the SAB/SAC option (you're right, SAB is built into the seat); so I'm not sure how they would re-skin w/leather (which salesman just told me is what they would be doing). I then asked them why they couldn't just put the seat heaters in the cloth covered seats (which I would prefer anyway). He thought it was a safety issue, but I asked him to see if it could be done on an exception basis. He's checking into it.

I'm on the far north side of Indy and dealing w/Tom Roush Mazda.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

My guess for the re-skin is because Mazda doesn't have the parts available to do a "swap" outright. I hope they are able to do it for you.

I'm in Indy as well. Good to see another 6 owner (soon to be) in town.

·
Registered
652 Posts

I would never do that.

If you can't live with cloth, then just wait.
Or, look in another state. It's worth the drive to get what you want.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts

Originally posted by wongpres

pgmr,

I just posted this to another person on this board who also got their order kicked out. US dealers can start ordering the '04 Mazda6 in just 3 days (May 16). So if you can wait till Sep/Oct for delivery, this may be an option. There may be option packaging differences with the '04 though, so you'd have to work with your dealer to spec out a '04 with the options you want.[/b]
hmm thats interesting. wonder what changes will be in the '04? it may be worthwhile to wait (maybe illuminated power window switches, better heated seats, or even a HID option?)

·
Registered
1,059 Posts

Originally posted by ChoppaBoy

Originally posted by wongpres

pgmr,

I just posted this to another person on this board who also got their order kicked out. US dealers can start ordering the '04 Mazda6 in just 3 days (May 16). So if you can wait till Sep/Oct for delivery, this may be an option. There may be option packaging differences with the '04 though, so you'd have to work with your dealer to spec out a '04 with the options you want.[/b]
hmm thats interesting. wonder what changes will be in the '04? it may be worthwhile to wait (maybe illuminated power window switches, better heated seats, or even a HID option?)[/b][/quote]

Or maybe a hatchback Mazdaspeed 6s with a manual transmission?
Oh wait. Nevermind.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Cloth To Leather Swap

Just got off the phone w/salesman. They CAN leave the cloth and add the seat heaters! That's what I wanted in the first place! Still waiting on price for them to do that.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Cloth To Leather Swap

Really? Cloth and seat heaters? Send me a PM on the price, if you don't mind. I may have to have that done for my 6.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts