Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just in a big dilemma. i heard theres a new GB for leather seats. im just bouncing between getting leather seats or body kit for my car. planning on getting something simple like the erebuni shogun kit. i heard its kinda ricey but ehh i just want a kit. i really need some help on deciding.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Welcome to the world of mods....

That's a hard decision. Leather is awesome and this group buy is a fantastic deal. On the other hand, a body kit adds a nice touch. Personally, I'd go with the leather but, to be honest, it's all up to you.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Leather. You already have the sports package right? Then definitely leather, body kits always are expensive, but the leather group buy is a once-in-a-while way to save a bunch of money.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i was thinking leather seats too, but gahh i also want to get a body kit. thats why im having a hard time deciding. but thanks for ur opinions

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
If they were both on GB, then I would say get the kit; but, the kit will always be there, the GB for the leather will not. So take advantage of the opportunity.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Do you have leather already in your car? If not, 100% leather seats! :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
true. but i have one problem. guam's weather is very mild. we're about 13 degrees north of the equator. wouldnt the heat make the leather look weird after a while? like all wrinkly? just wondering

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Guam, eh? Hafa Adai!

Leather is a LOT cheaper than a bodykit. Shipping on that kit alone to Guam will, literally, cost more than a leather kit will. Then there's the price of the kit itself, which is always misleadingly low. Most of the cost of a kit is in the shipping (even within the US you're looking at north of $300, to Guam it would have to be in the $500-750 range at least), mounting it, and painting it. And being familiar with Guam, I know that mounting it and painting it there ain't cheap (you're looking well north of a grand, even here)

You're trying to decide between a $600 (guessing) leather kit, and a body kit that will end up costing you probably north of $2500 all said and done. BIG difference.

And then you have to consider the upkeep of the kit. Even in the US, even in a major city that has nice roads, I still have to my kit repaired or touched up twice a year, to the tune of about $500+ each time. Fiberglass doesn't take well to any sort of physical contact. Just a good size rock being flung up can crack your bumper -- a $300+ repair. Rocks, tires on the road, pulling up too far when I park and touching the parking stop or curb, a speedbump that's a little too big and touches (and I mean touches it doesn't take much to crack fiberglass) the sidesills -- all $300-500 repairs. The roads on Guam ain't that great even on Marine Drive and they can get a LOT worse than that and steep inclines are rather common. I remember quite a few speed bumps there that would just take off the kit I have on my car now if I were to drive it there.

And there's no need to worry about the leather and the heat or humidity. It'll look just fine. Heat actually draws wrinkles out of the leather, not put them in.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guam, eh? Hafa Adai!

Leather is a LOT cheaper than a bodykit. Shipping on that kit alone to Guam will, literally, cost more than a leather kit will. Then there's the price of the kit itself, which is always misleadingly low. Most of the cost of a kit is in the shipping (even within the US you're looking at north of $300, to Guam it would have to be in the $500-750 range at least), mounting it, and painting it. And being familiar with Guam, I know that mounting it and painting it there ain't cheap (you're looking well north of a grand, even here)

You're trying to decide between a $600 (guessing) leather kit, and a body kit that will end up costing you probably north of $2500 all said and done. BIG difference.

And then you have to consider the upkeep of the kit. Even in the US, even in a major city that has nice roads, I still have to my kit repaired or touched up twice a year, to the tune of about $500+ each time. Fiberglass doesn't take well to any sort of physical contact. Just a good size rock being flung up can crack your bumper -- a $300+ repair. Rocks, tires on the road, pulling up too far when I park and touching the parking stop or curb, a speedbump that's a little too big and touches (and I mean touches it doesn't take much to crack fiberglass) the sidesills -- all $300-500 repairs. The roads on Guam ain't that great even on Marine Drive and they can get a LOT worse than that and steep inclines are rather common. I remember quite a few speed bumps there that would just take off the kit I have on my car now if I were to drive it there.

And there's no need to worry about the leather and the heat or humidity. It'll look just fine. Heat actually draws wrinkles out of the leather, not put them in.
[/b]
niice write. i hope sweating wont be a problem. hahaha. thanks a whole bunch. i think i'll consider the leather seats now. maybe even a kit later in the year.

ever been to guam?

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
niice write. i hope sweating wont be a problem. hahaha. thanks a whole bunch. i think i'll consider the leather seats now. maybe even a kit later in the year.

ever been to guam?
[/b]
I remember you had a writeup for putting on some new rims and painting your calipers....did you get your car dropped?? Like MZBuckeye said you already have the sport package right? So a drop would make your car look fine. If you don't have springs, I would try and look for some used ones, some people sell their eibachs on here for pretty cheap maybe you can work something out with one....the only risk you take is buying shocks later if you feel like your ride isn't smooth...Money wise though your looking at about 300 for used springs shipped, at least....and about 700 shipped for shocks shipped, at least, so that being 1k, then to install about another 200 at least, depending, so overall close to 1200-1500 total....WAY cheaper than a bodykit not to mention the suspension upgrade, the money saver, and a drop....

In fact also to add, the only REAL damage you might experience to leather seats is the sunlight, and personal use....just condition the seats every so often and try ur best to keep it out of the sun....

Take it from a local boy in Hawaii, money is important to use being we don't have the luxury to spend it like the mainlanders do, so buying the seats will save $ and give you a chance to buy even MORE mods if you think about doing it later....

·
Registered
149 Posts
100% leather seats. Your car should have a sport package and body kit is more expensive then leather seats.
[/b]
If you have the mindset to "just get a kit on it" it sounds like you probably not gonna be up for the committment to maintain it. Money aside, kits require consistent maintenence and a neverending obsession to avoiding any bumps or holes you see or driving behind people. You sound like an impulse buyer....so take the leather GB deal and you wont regret it in a few months. At that point maybe you will be committed to going to the next level.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Yep..............................LEATHER would be your best bet! :yesnod:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay thank you!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts