Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago, I noticed a new rattling noise from my rear liftgate on my '04 6S 5-door. There was small black metal clip that had come loose and was floating about inside the trim on my liftgate. I removed the access panel on the inside that covers the right tail light and fished it out. It's roughly the size of a penny, painted black, has a wedge shaped head and a flange on the other end. Whatever the clip was holding is making an aweful rattling noise now. If anyone needs a picture to ID what I'm talking about, I'll take one this evening and put it up here. I took a look in the service manual to see if I could figure it out myself, but it's difficult to identify by the illustrations shown in there.

I've still got warranty left on the car (first titled in Jan. '05 and I've only got around 24,000 miles on it), so should I just try to get the dealership to look at it?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Since you're still under warranty, take it in and let the dealer repair it. :yesnod:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since you're still under warranty, take it in and let the dealer repair it. :yesnod:[/b]
That's basically what I figured, too, but I didn't know if Mazda was generally good about warranty claims on interior stuff like fixing squeaks/rattles. Some companies only want to honor warranty on mechanical parts or only when there's an obvious visual defect. Squeaks/rattles are sort of subjective since almost every car does it to some degree, but there's no clear-cut definition of what amount is acceptable, so everyone is going to have their own ideas.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
^^You're right but in this particular case, you have a broken piece to address as well, not just a rattle. I would hope the dealer would be more open to honoring that under warranty. Let us know what happens if you take it to a dealer. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^You're right but in this particular case, you have a broken piece to address as well, not just a rattle. I would hope the dealer would be more open to honoring that under warranty. Let us know what happens if you take it to a dealer. :)[/b]
I wouldn't really call it "broken." It just came out for whatever reason... I guess some people might consider that broken, though, now that you mention it. I fired off an email inquiry to Concours Motors to see what they say about it. That's where the car was originally sold and I've had them do some other warranty work for me before. They sell BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, and VW cars at the same dealership so they know how to treat customers well. Other dealerships in the area gave me a hard time and/or misinformation about Mazda's warranty when I had my other work done, but the guys at Concours were good and put the other guys to shame.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
i got a 06 hatchback... and i noticed a rattling noise also but i just ignored it and it has been like this for a few weeks now, can you take a picture of what you were talking about, i have to check if mine is like exact same case as yours...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.