Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here noticed that the climate control on the 2006 behaves differently than previous models? I have noticed that when starting up the car, the climate control will blast cold air from some of the vents. My 2003 would let a small amount of cold air escape but it was barely noticable. On the new car, the fan speed operates on 3 bars when the car is ice cold and the temp is set to 77 degrees. It's not a good feeling to get in a cold car in the morning and feel cold air up your pant leg. I can't understand why the system doesn't just remain off until the engine is warm enough to pruduce heat.

I have also noticed that temperatures are generally cooler than my 2003. When I set the temp to 75 degrees, I can actually feel cool air coming out of the vents. Whereas in my previous 6 I used to leave it at 75 degrees all the time, I feel the need to leave the Speed6 temperature at 78-79 just to remain at the same comfort level. It's almost as if AC is cooiling the air more than it should.

Perhaps these changes are simply because the AC unit is brand new and it's overproducing. Has anyone elese noticed these subtle changes?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I can't speak from experience (i still have my 2003), but it could be a calibration difference between the two model years. Best way to find out is have the dealer check it out. Don't just let them tell you it's normal, though. Make sure that they have checked Mazda Tips to see if there is a valid reason for the difference.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Has anyone here noticed that the climate control on the 2006 behaves differently than previous models? I have noticed that when starting up the car, the climate control will blast cold air from some of the vents.....I can't understand why the system doesn't just remain off until the engine is warm enough to pruduce heat.

I have also noticed that temperatures are generally cooler than my 2003. When I set the temp to 75 degrees, I can actually feel cool air coming out of the vents. Whereas in my previous 6 I used to leave it at 75 degrees all the time, I feel the need to leave the Speed6 temperature at 78-79 just to remain at the same comfort level. It's almost as if AC is cooiling the air more than it should.

Perhaps these changes are simply because the AC unit is brand new and it's overproducing. Has anyone elese noticed these subtle changes?
[/b]
I do not believe I've experienced the first anomaly and there have been some very cold mornings here in the NorthEast. I've found that the heating system waits to pump out warmer air if I set it to the upper 70s (I should point out that I run Auto Eco (by turning off the AC after I hit AUTO)).

The second problem I've definitely noticed, not that I am a former M6 owner. When I set the auto temp to lower 70s (thinking that would be comfortable), I find that the air is actually uncomfortable & too cool (and usually pumped out through the dash vents versus floor vents, even when the AMB temp is 40-50s). Thus, I, too, keep my Auto Eco temp at 78/79/80 as well.

Anyone know whether our temperature settings can be recalibrated/finely tuned?

·
Registered
829 Posts
yeah, my old car used to have the vents off until the engine's warm enough, but my MS6 just blows air out, cold or warm.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I know one thing. When I hit the defrost button my AC doesn't come on anymore. My 03 AC came on everytime you hit the defrost button. Hated that!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have figured out that the cold air at startup is coming from the vents under the windshield. So the car immediately starts these defrost vents if the ACC is set to "Auto". Previously, it used do that with the defroster on only.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone here noticed that the climate control on the 2006 behaves differently than previous models? I have noticed that when starting up the car, the climate control will blast cold air from some of the vents. My 2003 would let a small amount of cold air escape but it was barely noticable. On the new car, the fan speed operates on 3 bars when the car is ice cold and the temp is set to 77 degrees. It's not a good feeling to get in a cold car in the morning and feel cold air up your pant leg. I can't understand why the system doesn't just remain off until the engine is warm enough to pruduce heat.

[/b]
I have no previous experience with Mazda products but my previous vehicle was equipped with a truly "automatic" climate control. My experience with the Speed6 is that the system is challenged at best in the automatic mode.
It seems in moderate temps the system is somewhat capable. Any temp below 30 degrees and the system cannot maintain temperature in the car. I am not talking by a few degrees either. The system in the car is programmed to only blow heat out the floor vents while there is a demand for heat in the vehicle. The theory that hot air rises doesn't work that well in anything that has very little insulation to maintain the heat in the vehicle.
There does appear to be a significant discrepancy from the indicated temp and the actual cabin temp. I'm not sure if it is a calibration issue or the placement of the sensor being so low on the dashboard that it is measuring that temp down low in the vehicle. I find that I need to keep the setpoint at 75 degrees to keep it comfortable in the vehicle.
I am able to get the system to direct airflow out the floor and dash vents if I play around with the setpoint in relation to the actual temp. The problem with that is when it blows air out the dash vents in Auto it blows out ice cold air. Great in the summer but not when it is January in the Northeast.
I haven't had any experience with the AC system yet. I assume it will be equally as challenged at the higher temperatures since it does rely strictly on the theory that cold air drops. I have cycled the setpoints to get the system to work and in cooling mode it only turns on the dash vents. I can see hot feet in the summer.
Since one of my criteria for a new car purchase was "Automatic Climate Control" I have already been back to the service dept. concerning this issue. It was checked out and according to my dealer it is working as designed. I have requested to talk to the district rep and a month later I am told that I am not forgotten but he hasn't been in the area??? I guess I should be happy that it still has manual capability. Having been in many other manufacturers vehicles with climate control that are truly "Automatic" and you "set it and forget it" I am not satisfied either.
I would be curious to see what another dealer has to say about it. If enough complaints are raised maybe Mazda will address the issue and reprogram the systems if they are all working as designed.

·
Registered
297 Posts
yeah, my old car used to have the vents off until the engine's warm enough, but my MS6 just blows air out, cold or warm.
[/b]
My MS6 doesn't let cold air out when I start it. It waits until the air is warm, then it starts supplying warm air.

Maybe my case is different because I run it in semi-auto. I press auto, then I select feet+dash, so the car only controls the fan speed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Like many above, my experience with my 2004 Mazda6 was that the temp setting was miscalibrated. I had to keep it in the 24C to 25C range to get it to be comfortable. Same goes for the MS6. As for the full blast cold air on start up, it has happened to me one or twice since I've had the car (November) but doesn't happen all the time.

I'd be interested to know if Mazda has a tech tip to fix this. The sytem is supposed to have a sunlight and interior temp sensor and obviously has an exterior sensor as well. You would think with that kind of info they could set it up to give an accurate performance. It's not bad once you get used to it, but any time someone borrows my car they end up setting the thing to like 21C thinking that's what it should be and then freezing their arses off.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no previous experience with Mazda products but my previous vehicle was equipped with a truly "automatic" climate control. My experience with the Speed6 is that the system is challenged at best in the automatic mode.
It seems in moderate temps the system is somewhat capable. Any temp below 30 degrees and the system cannot maintain temperature in the car. I am not talking by a few degrees either. The system in the car is programmed to only blow heat out the floor vents while there is a demand for heat in the vehicle. The theory that hot air rises doesn't work that well in anything that has very little insulation to maintain the heat in the vehicle.
There does appear to be a significant discrepancy from the indicated temp and the actual cabin temp. I'm not sure if it is a calibration issue or the placement of the sensor being so low on the dashboard that it is measuring that temp down low in the vehicle. I find that I need to keep the setpoint at 75 degrees to keep it comfortable in the vehicle.
I am able to get the system to direct airflow out the floor and dash vents if I play around with the setpoint in relation to the actual temp. The problem with that is when it blows air out the dash vents in Auto it blows out ice cold air. Great in the summer but not when it is January in the Northeast.
I haven't had any experience with the AC system yet. I assume it will be equally as challenged at the higher temperatures since it does rely strictly on the theory that cold air drops. I have cycled the setpoints to get the system to work and in cooling mode it only turns on the dash vents. I can see hot feet in the summer.
Since one of my criteria for a new car purchase was "Automatic Climate Control" I have already been back to the service dept. concerning this issue. It was checked out and according to my dealer it is working as designed. I have requested to talk to the district rep and a month later I am told that I am not forgotten but he hasn't been in the area??? I guess I should be happy that it still has manual capability. Having been in many other manufacturers vehicles with climate control that are truly "Automatic" and you "set it and forget it" I am not satisfied either.
I would be curious to see what another dealer has to say about it. If enough complaints are raised maybe Mazda will address the issue and reprogram the systems if they are all working as designed.
[/b]
If you search the main forum you will read that the Mazda6, in any flaor, has had a subpar Automatic Cimate Control system. Most find it "adequate", as I do. However, it has a few quirks and the members here have discussed those other issues to death.

Too bad you didn't read about them before purchasing, as it seems this is a major issue for me. For me, the 274HP kind of makes up for it. :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
My brother's wife's Jetta VR6 has a sweet climate control system. Sadly it would seem Mazda can't compete.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I don;t get that whole auto setting thing....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
speedgal
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing