Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2003 Mazda6 2.0 L with Sportronic transmission. The problem I am having is this. When I turn the car on, there is a slight click/rattle from under the hood. When I put it in gear, reverse or Drive, the sound gets louder. The sound gets louder when it is in park and the fan for the air vents is turned on.

I looked under the hood and the sound is coming from the rear of the engine compartment underneath the engine. It seems that the sound is coming from the area of the transmission. So myself and a few others who also looked at the car, thought it was something with the transmission.

We let the car idle in park and we could still hear the sound. It just wasnt as loud. When we turn on the fan for the air vents, the noise gets louder. Also when we put the car into gear it gets louder. It seems that whatever is rattling is looser once the car is in gear.

I am thinking that the problem is one of these. Transmission, engine, or a loose part somewhere. I am also thinking it could be some sort of engine mount.

Does anybody else have any ideas as to what it could be? Will it hurt the car more if I drive it? Would this be covered under a warranty?

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
<< Having the same issue. Not ALL the time, but it is more frequent now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got the same problem at 1700 rpm. It sounds like a bag of nails running around I the engine.
I have located the problem to around the exhaust. I had a Mondeo once and this could do the same and that was the gasket between the exhaust and manifold.
Mine is a petrol 2.0, 5 shift manual drive from 2005.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi again.

I found the problem I Think.
It is the "tensioner pulley" under the generator (2.0), when I turn the center it screams as two peaces of aluminum against each other with no grease.
When the engine runs at low rpm and pulling at the same time it moves and it sounds like a loud rattle.
I have tried to grease it but it seems no different.
Is there a way of greasing it or do I have to change it ?

Christian..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oz1cd, I have no idea. The best thing to do probably would be to contact a Mazda dealership and talk to a repair technician.

I guess I should post what the actual problem was with my car last year. There was a fan shroud that had come loose and was vibrating. Thats all it was and it was covered under warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
bnash10125
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing