Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.. I finally received my clear taillights I bought from a guy online... They look awesome on my car and cant wait to show you guys, so without further ado...

The Clear Taillight Install!

OK.. first things first.. we need to remove the lining that is covering the taillights. Grab a screwdriver and carefully pop off the clips. These are one of the easiest clips I have seen. The center part will pop out and simply remove the entire clip from the hole.

I found it easier to just remove a few of the clips to bend the cloth lining down so you have enough hand room to do everything. Here is a shot once the lining has been removed. Here is where I recommend you remove the wiring harness from the actual taillight. Show of the back of the inner taillight.

Grab a socket wrench and undo the 2 screws that you (this show can only show the first one..) Once those are removed the taillight is free to remove.

Now for putting it back in... For the inner lights its kind of tricky. There are 2 little plastic pieces shown here...

These pieces need to clip on to the outside of the car.. then you need to push the inner part of the light in so it locks in place. You will hear 2 clicks. It will seem kind of tough to push in, but it will not do any hard to the car or light. Once the taillight has been put back in place, screw the bolts back on in both places. Should look like this... Also remember to wire everything back up.

Do the same thing to the other side...

SIDENOTE: This is actually kind of interesteing... This doesnt look half bad with the clear inner lights and the red outer ones.. Thought I would post it to see what you guys thought.

Half-way point...

Once this is done you can go ahead and push the clips back in so the liner is tight and back in place.

Let's move on to the outer lights. Again we need to remove the clips on the bottom portion of the trunck. To do this there, find the 4 points on each side. 2 are located on the plastic piece that the truck lid will sit on and the other 2 are located in the middle of the liner on either side. Once these are gone, just remove the liner just enough to reach your hands in.

The above pic shows what you will see when the liner is removed. The 2 arrows show you the 2 screws you need to remove. Once these are gone, pull out on the taillight and it should come loose. The outside corner is not held in by very much, so use some elbow grease.

I also found it alot easier to remove the wiring harness from the taillights on the outer ones easier when the light was already pulled out. The same goes when I hooked the wiring back up... Wire it up then place it back in.

Repeat the process for the other side.. And... Then replace all the clips and pull back the lining....

AND DEN...

You're DONE!

Other facts...

The lights cost me $200 flat including shipping
Install time took less than an hour, ITS VERY EASY!

Tools needed...

A screwdriver to remove the lining clips
A socket wrench to remove some of the bolts on there... I believe the size used was a 12mm or 1/2" I cant remember :)

If you have any questions.. Post them here or PM me... I love how they look!!!

_Abs

·
Registered
117 Posts
Reading Topic: Clear Taillights INSTALLED

Your pictures are not displayed!

·
Registered
683 Posts

sweet! no more bulge!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Clear Taillights INSTALLED'

That looks great Absolut !! :D

As a fellow 6 owner, But from Australia, where we have the Clear rear lenses as standard, I think they look a whole lot better ....;)

I think you may have started a new trend for 6 owners in America !!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts

yes he did (start a new trend in the states!). After tinting my windows, this will be the first thing I fix. As in fix, I mean...Mazda made a mistake with the red lights and they need to be fixed. LOL. Again, Absolut awesome job!

·
Registered
526 Posts

Looks great on silver. Really does.

I don't care for it with yellow though - the contrast the red generates really works.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Two questions:

What are you doing with the original tailights? Just curious, not interested in buying them, don't worry.
What do you guys think of clear on my redfire? I personally think it would look good, but just would like to hear some opinions.

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Right now I have just packed the OEM ones in the boxes that the new ones came in. No idea what I want to do with them...

Im sure you could get someone to photochop them in for you to see how it would look...

·
Registered
167 Posts

I actually learned some photoshop 7.0 stuff while sitting here, I think I did a damn good job, what do you think?

Hope this picture shows up:

I cut the taillight from one picture, skewed it and trimmed it and viola!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts

What, do you think about those lights on a lapis blue 6. I want them partly to get rid of the bulge. Maybe painted?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts

Thanks for the install write up. I should be getting mine beginning of next week. I'll post pics on how they look with the steel gray.

·
Registered
526 Posts

I think they look cool on Lapis Blue.

What I don't get is what's the big deal about the so-called 'bulge'? On my car I think it looks good and don't want to get rid of it. It's cool.

Lose it and it starts looking like a UJC (Universal Japanese Car)

·
Registered
5 Posts

Originally posted by davecoyne

Thanks for the install write up.  I should be getting mine beginning of next week.  I'll post pics on how they look with the steel gray.[/b]
I can't wait :) That's the color I'm looking for, and, luckily, found cheap at a few local dealers. Anyone who is still shopping around (like myself) would do themself alot of good by using mazdausa.com to send out quotes to local dealers, they responded quickly, and gave me a good price right from the start.

Anyways, great job Absolut!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I'd like to see them on a lapis blue as well. I was thinking the blacked out taillights would look better, though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Clear Taillights INSTALLED'

On the blue?!?!? I do not think the blacked out tailights would look that good. The black would look good on yellow, silver, red, and white. The other colors i am not so sure about....but hey this is just my opinion!

Edit: Sorry I was thinking you wanted to put the blacked out on the lapis blue 6.....the clear lights on the blue would look sharp!

·
Registered
526 Posts

Here are two good shots of how they'd look against yellow & blue.

IMHO - Yellow - no. Blue - definitely.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts