Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I just installed my Clear side markers...they look great. I decided to use the new bulbs, theyre much brighter than the stock I think. Anyway, After i finished my right side light didnt work?!? The old bulb worked fine, and the new bulb did wok right when I turned it on. My friend who was with me told me it blinked on and off like 5 times then just turned off o_O I didnt check the bulb with the other side because it was too late so I just unplugged it and left it until I do

but I wanted to ask if anyone used clear bulbs for their markers? Not amber...I dont even know if thats illegal in philly but I think it would look nice.

If you do or if there are any could you let me know where you got them from? I did a search but didnt see anything about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Clear bulbs are not legal. You can purchase chrome tipped bulbs though. Do a search for "chrome bulbs"...should find info about them. Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clear bulbs are not legal. You can purchase chrome tipped bulbs though. Do a search for "chrome bulbs"...should find info about them. Enjoy! :)
[/b]
Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why are white lights for the turn signals not legal.
[/b]
sidemarkers have to be orange. the stock sidemarkers are orange plastic so they can use a white bulb, since it lights up orange (just like taillights are white bulbs but red plastic, so they light up red). when you switch to clear sidemarkers and keep the white bulbs, there is nothing to make it light up orange, it will light up white and that's illegal. just buy some chrome dipped amber bulbs like i, and many others have. autolumination.com sells them, they're #194 for size. they blend in when they're off, but light up orange when they're on.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
You can go chrome bulbs, or put some amber LEDs in the side markers, which is what I'm doing. I had PIAA super whites in my last set of clear corners and never had any trouble from the cops. They were mostly white with a faint blue-ish tint, but I didn't care too much for their appearance at night. But in the day, the blue color of the bulbs when not lit matched my Lapis Blue paint :D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
1) Side markers do not have to be orange... Front Blinkers have to be orange... No other color.. Amber only for front blinkers... Side markers are different...

2) Rear Blinkers can be Amber OR Red...

3) Front Headlights cannot be red.. amber... or purple blue green... Front headlights have to be "white" or an off-color of white... Most are a yellowish tint... newer HID's have blue or purple tints... but are all legal..

4) Side-markers are a special addition not required by DMV... however they cannot break other lighting rules.. BLUE for example is for Police vehicles only... so they cannot be blue... Strobes are for emergency vehicles only so they cannot be strobes...

5) Side markers can however be amber.. or a white / off color of white...

Now.. you can get away with a lot of different variations.. based on your location and driving habbits... You can have clear / white front blinkers... and get away with it usually... You can have "Purple.. or blue.. or multi-color neon reverse lights... as its not often a cop or anyone else who cares will be around when you are using them...

Point is... Get whatever you want.... just remember that anything other than stock will probably draw attention... and if a cop wants to pull you over.. every extra thing you do is 1 more excuse for him to do it... And most often they'll make mention of the "mod" they pulled you over for... however they'll check your registration.. insurence... and license... and let you go usually... They are "fishing" for people who suspended licenses.... no insurance... and so on... I've had tinted windows and unique colored / white lighting on my vehicles for as long as I can remember.. i get pulled over "because" of them but never ticketed "because" of them.. they use them as an excuse... but are really just looking for something they can't get you for from a distance (insurance... license... so on)....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts