Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
After the front end of my last 6 looked like it had permanent bug splatter from all the paint chips, I got one this time for my MS6.
Yes, it is expensive. Yes, you should have a professional do it. Yes, for me it was totally worth it.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After the front end of my last 6 looked like it had permanent bug splatter from all the paint chips, I got one this time for my MS6.
Yes, it is expensive. Yes, you should have a professional do it. Yes, for me it was totally worth it.
[/b]

Anyone know of a good, cheap place to get it done in the Irvine, CA area? I want to get it done before it gets shipped to me in MN.

·
Registered
232 Posts
when i repaint the whole front end next spring i'm gonna put a layer on the front

·
Registered
286 Posts
Does it protect against keying?
[/b]
You need a shield generator for that :D .
Usually film is only installed on the front end of the car where it's most likely to get hit by rocks. The film will make keying a bit harder I assume but I've never seen people with film on the entire car. Nothing can protect your car from vandalism. You can minimize the chance by not leaving your car in shady neighbourhood and being a good person. No parking your car in the middle of two stalls would help too.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the article:

Additionally on the mirror I have covered in the film as my test sample I attempted at using a serrated kitchen knife to see how much pressure it took to cut through. With light sawing action and pressure, the knife did nothing. With moderate sawing action and pressure the knife was cutting the film, however it did not damage the paint or cut through, with heavy pressure, over 10 lbs the knife cut through and cut the paint. The point here is even with sharp objects it is effort to cut the film.

So it might protect someone from keying the front of you car, or whatever you have protected. But that won't stop them from messing with the rest of your car.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I regret not getting it... paint is very soft and chips a lot easier than I thought. After one year, my 6 looks like my Ford did after about 5.

·
Registered
814 Posts
thats amazing...I've got to find some one who does this and does it well. Because it seems it is just something else to add to a list of f-ups that people swear they are qualified to do. Its terrible that there is no quality control these days LOL. I'd love to have that though.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
i have it done on my tiburon. every once in awhile when the car is really dirty. people notice the thin line where it ends, and asks about it, but thats my only complaint.

i still would highly recommend it. it has done a great job protecting the paint, mainly cause i drive alot on the highways, and after the repaint, i wanted to keep it as nice as possible.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i'd like to do this, but the front is so chipped up already it isn't worth it. has anyone complained to the dealer about the quality and gotten it repainted under warranty? just curious. I've had the car one year as well, and it looks awful up front.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
A buddy of mine had one on his grey VW GTI. If you wax the front of the car where the clear film starts, you will be able to tell it's there. You will also be able to tell if you look closely.

It's expensive, but would a front end bra do the same trick? It's just that you have to make sure the front of the car's REALLY clean before installing the bra, and you have to remove it in the rain and bad weather to prevent discoloration.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I got one and it's worth every penny. It was hard at first to get on but after some practice I was able to get most of it on without too much bubbles which go away after some time. It's saved me from a bunch of rock chips already and you can't even see it from a distance that it's even on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts