Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've had my cpe-intake for about year and half now, and i was wonder how often we should clean the filters. It seems to have got pretty dirty. On revolutionsix.com i saw a part for cleaning their filters available. Has anybody else tried this, or think it's a good idea to buy? It could be hurting the performance and engine right? Never cleaning it can't be that good! Anybody think about this to that has the intake?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
according to the AFE instructions your filter should go 30-50K miles between cleanings. How many miles have you put on it since the install?

P.S. they should have full directions on their site at http://www.afefilters.com

As far as cleaning kits, id go with the one CPE provides for this filter.

·
Registered
635 Posts
according to the AFE instructions your filter should go 30-50K miles between cleanings. How many miles have you put on it since the install?

P.S. they should have full directions on their site at http://www.afefilters.com

As far as cleaning kits, id go with the one CPE provides for this filter.
[/b]
The one RPM is selling is the same one that CP-E sells, so it really doesn't matter where you get it from.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
30k to 50k? I really think it depends on your environment condition. I know that so far at around 14k, my filter is dirty and dusty as hell. Don't want any the filter to be constricted or any more containments to get into the engine.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You should rotate the filter. Assuming you have the vented wheel well 1/2 your filter would be more openly exposed to dirt.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Unless you did like me and drilled out your front vents, in which case the whole thing IS exposed to moving air :cheers:

Most all of those cleaning kits and oils are the same. Primary difference between AFE's and K&N's oils is that one is blue and one is red. Both do the same thing, even though both companies will say that their's is better than the other's because of this or that. Just about the only thing that will happen is your filter will be an orange-red color instead of greenish-blue.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
The only thing I would advocate is to clean it when you won't need to drive the car for a day or two. These filters can take a while to dry thoroughly (24-48 hours depending on conditions), which they need to before oiling. I had one of these on my SVT Contour, and I freaked the first time I cleaned it, as it was humid and took almost 48 hours to dry, even after shaking out as much water as I could.

Otherwise, the instructions on the kits are good. One thing I have found useful is a full sized paintbrush (2" +/-) to help remove debris.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I clean mine approximately every 3-4 months, but I live in Reno, NV where it's a giant dustbowl and I get more dust and buildup than you'd expect normally. I'd suggest buying 2 filters, one on the car, the other a spare. That way you can just switch them out easily and clean the other and not have to worry. I have the AFE filter, but I use K&N cleaning kit because I have a Summit Racing warehouse in town (one of the only 2 in the U.S.).

Remember, that filters actually run better when SLIGHTLY dirty, but if it accumulates too much dirt then you're hurting horsepower by being restricted for airflow.

Otherwise, the instructions on the kits are good. One thing I have found useful is a full sized paintbrush (2" +/-) to help remove debris.
[/b]

Yeah, A paintbrush helps a lot. I personally have a toothbrush I use, but I should get something bigger. OH, and when you clean, clean from the inside out. You don't want to push dirt further into the filter.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
i noticed my wheel wells had slits in them, big vents actually so i think my filter gets pleanty of air just from that. Not sure though, good question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
9 Participants
RoX
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing