Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally going to replace the spark plugs. Once I get the intake manifold off of the car, what is the best way to clean out all the oily residue? It looks like the manifold is two separate pieces. Does it come apart easily?

What about fogging through the throttle body or a vacuum line? Has anyone tried that yet? For those who don't know, it involves spraying some cleaner down the intake while the car is running.

Edit: Topic & Description

·
Registered
456 Posts
Buy a can of sea foam, disconnect the breakbooster line, attach a funnel, and pour in 1/3 of the bottle slowly, the car will run rough for a little while then shut it off for 10 min, when you start it back up white smoke will pour out of the tails, seafoam cleans out the intake runners, the top of the pistons and acutally the cats as well, put the rest of the seafoam in the gas tank too, it will hesitate for a while after but the results are present, better throttle response, n better gas mialage, i did it 2 monhs ago almost time for another treatment, do it every oil cahnge to get the carbon build up out : )

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am definitely using the seafoam per what I've read on bob's. Do you think that fogging will thoroughly clean out the IM though? It seems like a lot could be missed especially due to the shape of our IM's. Also, does it make any sense to fog through the throttle body to try and clean that?

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
seafoam wont get all the nooks and cranies.

if you have the mani off, use a foaming oven cleaner. spray it into any openings, and just let it sit for about 30 min. after that, just rinse it off with a hose.

then take a step back, and look at the aluminum instead of the black grime thats been calling your intake mani home.

·
Registered
456 Posts
true, all the nooks and cranies wont come out, but its still good for the car, i got my can at pepboys, and i know autozone carries it too, i usually put a little more than a half of a can in, and let it sit for a while, then fire it up, it smokes for a while but damn make it a lot cleaner than it was : ) then i put a full can in the tank

also, sure use some carb tb cleaner in the tb wont hurt

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is it even possible to open up the IM once it's off the car? I'd like to clean it out entirely if possible.

As far as fogging goes, I was thinking about taking off the accordion tube and spraying the Seafoam directly at/ through the throttle body instead of through a vacuum line. Will it clean the TB just as well as carb cleaner? Does the MAF need to be disconnected when fogging?

Sorry for making this a complicated topic...

·
Registered
456 Posts
That i dont know, they tell you to put it though a vac line, plus its a liguid not a spray, use as directed on the can. as far as the maf, you should take the whole box off, and the tube, use carb cleaner in the vb, and also get some electronics cleaner and spray the maf itself, its prolly all gunked up, just got done iwth mine again, use the seafoam as directed, use the carb cleaner for the tb clean the maf, and you should be good to go, and if you want to take the whole im off to do what XXX said, then why not go nuts

·
Registered
426 Posts
So is it even possible to open up the IM once it's off the car? I'd like to clean it out entirely if possible.

As far as fogging goes, I was thinking about taking off the accordion tube and spraying the Seafoam directly at/ through the throttle body instead of through a vacuum line. Will it clean the TB just as well as carb cleaner? Does the MAF need to be disconnected when fogging?

Sorry for making this a complicated topic...
[/b]
I'd suggest just pulling the IM. It's maybe a 45 minute job since you've never done this one before. Really straightforward uninstall. Nothing tricky about it. :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does that big plastic hunk of solid intake manifold come apart though? Once it's off the car, can I split it in two? I want to clean the inside of it very, very well.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Does that big plastic hunk of solid intake manifold come apart though? Once it's off the car, can I split it in two? I want to clean the inside of it very, very well.
[/b]
I don't think so. there is a pic of it taken out off of the car over on 6tech, you'll have to dig it up. Its a single piece.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Click this BG Products and look for information on the air induction/fuel injection service. You can also click Find-a-Shop to find a place near you to do it. This service slowly fogs a chemical into your throttlebody while the engine is running. It usually takes about 20-30 minutes to complete. It will clean up your intake better than you can even off of the vehicle short of soaking it in some solution. Plus it cleans up the tops of your intake valves. There is also a gas additive that goes in the tank after that will clean up the injectors, combustion chamber and even the O2 sensors.

Using a vacuum line is dangerous because you can actually hydrolock your engine if you suck a chemical through too quickly. Spraying an aerosal in is too quick. It won't thoroughly clean everything out. I am in the auto repair business and have been around these services for a long time. I have no vested interest in you buying in on this, but simply know that it really works. :yesnod:

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday I changed my spark plugs. I used foaming engine degreaser to clean out the intake manifold while it was off the car. That worked very well.

What I also found to be noteworthy was the condition of the lower intake manifold. It was absolutely loaded with grease and carbon. Though I made no attempt to clean it, I will definitely cosinder a Seafoam treatment before the next time around - whenever that is.

I'll try to post some pics of what I found this time.

TheMaz39: If you ever wind up changing your spark plugs, be sure to take some pictures of the lower intake manifold. It would be great to know how well the Seafoam cleaned it.

EDIT: This is the best picture I got of the lower intake manifold:

http://i8.tinypic.com/25i4u4w.jpg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Click this BG Products and look for information on the air induction/fuel injection service. You can also click Find-a-Shop to find a place near you to do it. This service slowly fogs a chemical into your throttlebody while the engine is running. It usually takes about 20-30 minutes to complete. It will clean up your intake better than you can even off of the vehicle short of soaking it in some solution. Plus it cleans up the tops of your intake valves. There is also a gas additive that goes in the tank after that will clean up the injectors, combustion chamber and even the O2 sensors.

[/b]

interesting, i have a shop just around the corner that does this.... know any price ranges?

·
Registered
900 Posts
interesting, i have a shop just around the corner that does this.... know any price ranges?
[/b]
Usually the full service that includes using the tool to fog the intake and installing the additive in the gas tank for cleaning your injectors is between $110-$150. Check that "find-a-shop" link and shop around.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
9 Participants
zoomnbyu
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing