Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What technique do you guys use to clean the Engine bay of the Car?

I know there are many electrical components in there....My friend's dad Uses WD 40 on each rusted bolt, and then simple green sprays everything inside.

Afterwards he lets it rip inside the engine bay with a water hose...is that safe???

·
Registered
444 Posts
id be very interrested to know

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i would hose off my engine just like my car everytime i was at the quarter wash. spray on some degreaser, then soap then rinse...every time. we don't have any parts that are super worrisome (like a dist. cap) about getting watter inside. you can ask anyone that has seen my car in person, the engine was just as clean if not moreso than the outside...and it's damn hard to do with a big hole in your hood.

i just make sure i dray everything off in there really well, don't like standing water sitting on any parts for a long period of time.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Engine degreaser and a hose. Remove the excess water with a shop vac. Either suck it out like you normally would, or use the reverse feature to blow it dry. An air compressor works well too, if you have it of course.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
i would hose off my engine just like my car everytime i was at the quarter wash. spray on some degreaser, then soap then rinse...every time. we don't have any parts that are super worrisome (like a dist. cap) about getting watter inside. you can ask anyone that has seen my car in person, the engine was just as clean if not moreso than the outside...and it's damn hard to do with a big hole in your hood.

i just make sure i dray everything off in there really well, don't like standing water sitting on any parts for a long period of time.
[/b]
So there is nothing in the engine you cover with a plastic bag at all? just take a hose to the engine compartment and spray it?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Don't think you have to cover anything. I've seen my mechanic clean my old car, he sprayed on some engine cleaner, let it sit for a bit, spray it with a pressure washer then used a air compressor to blow off all the water. As long as there's no water pooling you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i use a pressure washer, not covering anything, no need

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I take my engine cover off then hit it with a power washer works nicely just dont spray in one spot for to long your bound to knock something off with continuous pressure. Ive only done it once but everything worked fine afterwards and my enginebay was clear of salt, sand and dirt.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You guys are CRAZY! I would never use pressure while cleaning under the hood, too many connectors that could get water forced into. But hey, that's just me. I use simple green and a trickle of water and then wipe the excess water dry. Sounds like nothing bad has happened doing otherways but I'm just too cautious!

·
Registered
168 Posts
i do the pressuar wash thing and use armal tire foam wipe all excess

·
Registered
680 Posts
So there is nothing in the engine you cover with a plastic bag at all? just take a hose to the engine compartment and spray it?
[/b]
Sure. You want to avoid soaking the alternator, but the solution to that is to spray while your car is running. That way any water that gets in there is ejected by the spinning armature. In any case, don't point the hose directly at and you'll be fine.

You guys are CRAZY! I would never use pressure while cleaning under the hood, too many connectors that could get water forced into. But hey, that's just me. I use simple green and a trickle of water and then wipe the excess water dry. Sounds like nothing bad has happened doing otherways but I'm just too cautious!
[/b]
SimpleGreen is not the best thing either, chief. Go down 8 about paragraphs where they [SimpleGreen] talk about using it on aluminum:

http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_faqs.php

Pressure washing is fine if you just use common sense. Don't douse any wiring harnesses at close range or pump a bunch of water down your intake. If you're really worried about it, you could put some electrical contact grease in the wiring harnesses. I've been pressure washing my engines for years without problems.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sure. You want to avoid soaking the alternator, but the solution to that is to spray while your car is running. That way any water that gets in there is ejected by the spinning armature. In any case, don't point the hose directly at and you'll be fine.
SimpleGreen is not the best thing either, chief. Go down 8 about paragraphs where they [SimpleGreen] talk about using it on aluminum:

http://industrial.simplegreen.com/ind_faqs.php
Pressure washing is fine if you just use common sense. Don't douse any wiring harnesses at close range or pump a bunch of water down your intake. If you're really worried about it, you could put some electrical contact grease in the wiring harnesses. I've been pressure washing my engines for years without problems.
[/b]
Hey, Who said anything about using it on aluminum? Believe it or not, this is NOT my first car! I also know how to follow instructions. Thanks for calling me "chief". I had no idea you knew I was a former "Crew-Chief" in the AF and made the rank of "Chief" in the local Fire-Dept. I appreciate the respect. ;) :thumbup:

·
Registered
135 Posts

[/b]
I wouldn't do this on the new high voltage ignition systems, like my speed6 has, but thats just me.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
*salute*

No matter how many cars you've owned, the engine in your Mazda is still aluminum.
[/b]
The thread topic is "Engine Bay" not the engine itself. If you want to get technical! :nana:

J/K, My bad! I've only had this car for a few months and it stays in the garage. Engine and the "engine Bay" are still as clean as it was when I bought it. I tend to use simple green on a rag when I've used it in the past. I guess when the time comes I'll have to go a different route. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I'm another wet-rag wiper. Too nervous to shoot water down there.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
18 Participants
Disko Fleshpot
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing