Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on my subframe for my 2007 2.5 swapped 6 for a bit. Just thought I would post some pics for you all to see! The frame has been stripped of all extra tabs and mounts, sandblasted (Car had typical Michigan rust), Painted, and Clear coated. Has flowflex subframe bushings, Whiteline 24mm swaybar, Energy swaybar bushings, and a Spoon rigid collar set. Can't wait to throw it back in the car after the bay is done!!!

Attachments

·
Rally Racer
2,188 Posts
I've been working on my subframe for my 2007 2.5 swapped 6 for a bit. Just thought I would post some pics for you all to see! The frame has been stripped of all extra tabs and mounts, sandblasted (Car had typical Michigan rust), Painted, and Clear coated. Has flowflex subframe bushings, Whiteline 24mm swaybar, Energy swaybar bushings, and a Spoon rigid collar set. Can't wait to throw it back in the car after the bay is done!!!
I'm in love...that is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. uh, would you like to do mine?

·
Registered
782 Posts
You say typical Michigan rust? I have seen some pictures of just how bad these subframes can degenerate to... The work you did to restore looks spectacular.

One thing that strikes me about the Mazda6 (at least my 3rd generation 6) is that the subframe and the suspension members are so very poorly painted / coated. I think they are simply phosphated - which is the cheapest of all. The car really should have all of these components finished with a good primer (after some abrading of the phosphated members) and topcoat - adequate mil-thickness - and all impossible-to-reach interior-of-member areas should be coated with a good fog-in rustproofing spray. Me, I'm trying to import Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 from the UK or from Australia, and also Dynax UB - for more reachable areas (it is a more waxy, more substantial coating).

In any case, Nascar1555 - you did a great job!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You say typical Michigan rust? I have seen some pictures of just how bad these subframes can degenerate to... The work you did to restore looks spectacular.

One thing that strikes me about the Mazda6 (at least my 3rd generation 6) is that the subframe and the suspension members are so very poorly painted / coated. I think they are simply phosphated - which is the cheapest of all. The car really should have all of these components finished with a good primer (after some abrading of the phosphated members) and topcoat - adequate mil-thickness - and all impossible-to-reach interior-of-member areas should be coated with a good fog-in rustproofing spray. Me, I'm trying to import Bilt Hamber Dynax S-50 from the UK or from Australia, and also Dynax UB - for more reachable areas (it is a more waxy, more substantial coating).

In any case, Nascar1555 - you did a great job!
Thank you! Much appreciated. Im trying to go for a full shaved bay this year and make the car my beach cruiser!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts