Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2018 GT-R Soul Red Crystal almost four months. Love the car but this has to be the softest paint/clearcoat I have ever seen. In addition to many chips it seems to scuff just by breathing on it. I am super careful around all of my vehicles.

I'm getting ready to give it a first wax job and I'm wondering about using a clay bar before waxing. I'm just so scared of this paint I don't want to screw it up.

Also wonder how people feel about Meguiar's polish and wax. I've used Zaino product for years with great results but it is a time consuming process every time. My brother uses Meguiar's and is very happy.

So clay bar and wax, or clay bar, then polish and wax?

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You are driving the wheels off that car if you need to clay bar or compound it after only 4 months. I’d give it a good bath, hit it with some pre-wax cleaner, and top it with the polish/wax of your choice.

Personally, I use Majestic Solutions products and they are fantastic. If you want to put the time in, they make a great ceramic sealer that will last for several years and give much better protection to the clear. Once a year you can go over the car with their Boost product, which is a spray on-buff it in with a microfiber cloth touch up product. That will bring the shine back out and restore its ability to repel water.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always used Zaino on my previous car (03 BMW 540i/6 M-tech). It’s a great synthetic sealer with a realistic 6 mos to 1 year life expectancy. When I bought the 2018 Mazda 6 (soul red crystal), I did research on newer products. Ceramic Coatings are supposed to be the next level in paint protection and shine.

I used clay bar, then used my random obital and SMR to polish it and remove any swirls and holograms.. Then had Xpel Paint Protection film applied to the entire front (headlights, front fenders, hood, side mirrors, door handle areas, and the strip of roof in front of the sunroof). Wipe down with alcohol to remove any oils or residue and applied Sonax Ceramic Coating to the entire car, including the Xpel protected area. With an occasional spray and buff with a ceramic recharging detail spray, it’s supposed to last years and gives that same kind of amazing shine you get from Zaino. It’s actually a bit more work than Zaino, but if a full days work can yield more than a years protection, it’s a fair trade off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts