Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinkin of gettin some chromed tip exhausts...(i cant really afford to buy a new exhuast system since i'm savin up for the audio system/wheels or bodykit)

i've checked at the mazda dealers, they're hammer-on's...and they cost like $100AUD each...i was like, o m g...r u joking...i see perfectly fine chromed tips in autobarn for like $30 each...

only thing is, the classic..not sure bout the luxury version of the mazda6, the normal exhaust kinda tapers down...i'm not sure how hammer-on's would actually fit onto these, but assuming they're from mazda they would work...other wise, if i'm lookin to buy outside of mazda, does anybody have any ideas as to what i'm meant to look for...like is there some kinda spiecal name for chromed tips that accomodate tapering down exhaust tips???

btw, is it just me, or does our exhaust tips look remarkablly short???

·
Registered
189 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Chromed Tip Exhausts'

I have a Blue Pacific "Classic" riding on the optioned factory 17inch wheels but with upgraded RE 010 tyres ( a little better than the stock RE 050) and optioned the chrome exhaust extensions amongst many other options.

Yes they do point 45' down but they look great, excellent quality and built to last - I would recommend them if its in your budget.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: Chromed Tip Exhausts

I hafta say that while I like my tips, they are starting to look tatty because every time I'm reversing outta my driveway they scrape on the ground... they're just too damn low.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Ive got the mazda tips for my classic and they look great, my brother who has the luxury sports hatch actually likes mine better. If you can afford it go the mazda parts, better quality, long lasting finish.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

ummm..to be frank, i don't like the 'down' type of tips..they look a bit dodgy IMO...but also, i don't like the tips on my luxsport either.. they got reallly black afterawhile and can't be cleaned.I've tried everything i could but still hasn't got any luck.so they aint shiny on the bottom bit no more... :(

·
Registered
124 Posts

Hi Kuning-6,

I use a panel beater's polish called T-Cut. It is horrible stuff on modern clear coat paint finishes, but because I got given a huge tin of it a while ago to strip back an earlier car, it is great to use on things like the exhaust tips. - BUT DON'T USE IT ON YOUR PAINTWORK!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

but um, so everybody thinks i should just go buy the chromed exhaust tips from mazda???

i mean, i never thought u can get a quality difference in chromed tips...hence there really isnt any "name brands" for chromed tips...of course exhausts are a different story, but chromed tips???

i've always thought that making a chromed tip is quite standard, not much innovative technology involved...its just...making a shinny pipe to fit onto a steel pipe...how complicated can it get??? surely the difference in quality aint a big difference to warrant a $90 tip as opposed to a $30 tip??? I mean...is there a material difference in the tips??? i figured all chromed tips were made of stainless steel???...but just chromed...right???

·
Registered
131 Posts

Like Kuning, I don't like the down type, and the chrome tips just making it even more prominent. It's kind of dangling.

·
Registered
124 Posts

I haven't done it yet, but I was thinking I would actually paint the exhaust tips and rear mufflers black, so you can't see them hanging down like the proverbial.
In the past I have used Pot Belly Stove paint (about $15). It has a really high metal content, gives a matt black finish, and, obviously, can cope with higher temperatures than the exhaust tip should reach.
I don't think it would look all that good if you have the body kit fitted because you would see nothing in the little arches over the exhaust tip, but on my Classic wagon, I think it will finish off the rear of the car very nicely.
For 15 bucks, you will even save heaps on buying non-genuine exhaust tips, and the tin of paint will last you ages (unless you use it to paint your pot belly stove at the same time.)

·
Registered
32 Posts

Hey,

As I said in the Melbourne forum, the Madza tips I got a price for this morning.
They quoted me $70 bucks each.

As for mine. I'm getting my custom tips tomorrow.

My local exhaust dealer is making some chrome tips. I'll post a pic when I'm able.

Not sure how much though.
I'm just doing it to be unique i guess

Bye

·
Registered
156 Posts

Hey show us your tips!:p

With so much tips talk I couldnt resist, but seriously I talked to mazda the other day and they said they have other new tips coming out that are straight and dont point down, I mean really tips pointing out instead of down look better right? My droopy tips look fine to me, everyone has straight tips pointing out, its good to be a bit different. So the question is do you go droopy or pointy.:D

·
Registered
461 Posts

sorry to talk like a party pooper, but do exhaust tips actually do anything (other than for aesthetic reasons)?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

no, tips dont do anything, they're just aesthetics. a new exhaust system on the other hand may (or may not) improve the performance of the car power wise.

now...personally i dun really have a preference as to droopy or straight tips. everybody has straight ones...and they look normal and fine. droopy looks a bit diff...and i'm thinkin if one can get the right tips, would probably look better than a straight one.

btw, HUM, u know how u said with the mazda dealer that he mentions he has new tips that point straight out and not droop down? errr...how is that gonna work? our exhaust systems' pipe points down..tips are just meant to be either hammer on's...or weilded on....they dont actually change the direction or shape of the original pipe. the exhaust pipe on the lux sports however is a different shape and points straight outward...it has a slight diff exhaust system i THINK...

·
Registered
156 Posts

Going by what he told me the add on tip is angled in itself that once fitted it looks straight and not pointing down. But it will only work with the rear aero bumper, otherwise the standard bumper will show to much tip.

·
Registered
922 Posts

Originally posted by Hum

Hey show us your tips!:p  

With so much tips talk I couldnt resist, but seriously I talked to mazda the other day and they said they have other new tips coming out that are straight and dont point down, I mean really tips pointing out instead of down look better right?  My droopy tips look fine to me, everyone has straight tips pointing out, its good to be a bit different.  So the question is do you go droopy or pointy.:D[/b]

Yeah i told you guys that ages ago :p i ordered them for my car about 5weeks ago they come in next week...Fully imported from japan... here is the info my the old tread in case you are interested;)

Well after some online research or lack there of, I finally called Mazda HQ in Melbourne and got all the answers I needed!

Well as expected the Exhaust system across the range is the same, I also found out that there is a specific Exhaust extension tips designed and now available for M6's with the rear aero kit (not sports m6 ) Most mazda dealers are using the wrong ones.

They will needed to be ordered and the Part Numbers for those interested are as follows.

One if for left and the other one is right .lol not sure which is which now.

G22B V4 250
G22B V4 260

CHEERS

·
Registered
922 Posts

Picked up my new tips today and they look great:D but damn $253.00 the pair :( anyways i tried them on for size and seems perfect, but im waiting for my first service this week to get Mazda to fit them;)

They are actually bigger/fatter then those standard on the M6 Sports, perfectly sized for the cut outs in the Aero rear bumper:D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Chromed Tip Exhausts

so are your new tips from mazda??
or are they aftermarket ones from some japanese company?
cause i wanna get some tips for my classic...but i dun have the rear aero bumper...would it look really weird? how big are they? in inches pls!

thanx!
:)
and oh, send us pix when u get em!!!
;p

·
Registered
237 Posts

im not sure what tips you guys are talking about. i got the sedan with tips. and my tips (seriously) are about 3" wide. its wider than the ones that come with the top sports model, actually it looks quite overly done up, i love it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Thanks for the pic Ozzie.Nice looking tips indeed I may keep this in mind when I going to have the bodykit done up.But the 250 something for a pair is a bit stiff though :( are they just the tips?are they hammered or welded on?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts