Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I must have done a search on this topic at least a several dozen times to avoid a double post, but it seem nobody has even brought it up. What is the method of removing the stock chrome exhaust tips? You know the covers that surround the actual exhaust pipes that are about 3 1/2' - 4" long...

Is there a write-up somewhere? and are they welded? I've heard some people say yes, and some people say no. If they are what is the least damaging method to remove them?

go easy, I'm new.

Pictures will help tremendously.

·
Registered
192 Posts
One of the first things I did to my 6 was remove the ugly ass stock exhaust tips. I went to a muffler shop, had them cut the stockers off w/ a plasma torch and weld on my Magnaflow 3" exhast tips. It cost me ~85 for the tips, and about 60 bucks in labor to have the old ones cut and new ones welded on.

If you go to the shop to get this done, make sure you let them know explicitly how much you want the tips to extend from the bumper. I actually drew them a picture with measurements and such, it helped out a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks alf. I dont want to bump such an old thread, but I have a lot of questions. Is there any way to remove the exhaust tips without actually. cutting them off at the ends and shortening the pipe?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
QUOTE (V6mafia @ Feb 20 2010, 10:55 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638394
thanks alf. I dont want to bump such an old thread, but I have a lot of questions. Is there any way to remove the exhaust tips without actually. cutting them off at the ends and shortening the pipe?[/b]

If you're patient you can break/cut the spot welds. However you will destroy the chrome covers in the process.

·
Registered
239 Posts
One of the first things I did to my 6 was remove the ugly ass stock exhaust tips. I went to a muffler shop, had them cut the stockers off w/ a plasma torch and weld on my Magnaflow 3" exhast tips. It cost me ~85 for the tips, and about 60 bucks in labor to have the old ones cut and new ones welded on.

If you go to the shop to get this done, make sure you let them know explicitly how much you want the tips to extend from the bumper. I actually drew them a picture with measurements and such, it helped out a lot.
I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but I would also like to do what was done above by greg.

Could someone please post a direct link to purchasing the "Magnaflow 3'' exhaust tips." How are you supposed to just buy the tips, I thought you had to buy the complete system in order to get the tips. They sell them separately?

Please help!

Thank you!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Go to summit racing.com

From there, you can choose any tip, on the stock exhaust, its a 2.25" inlet, and the outlet size would be your choice.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Go to summit racing.com

From there, you can choose any tip, on the stock exhaust, its a 2.25" inlet, and the outlet size would be your choice.
I went there like you suggested. I didn't like any of the designs... :( And I couldn't find the right size and such.

On magnaflows website they depict the length of the tip as 4.5 inches vs 7.5. Which one should we purchase?

Im looking at the round straight one - 3.5 inch round but don't know what length to choose.

MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust

Where can I find one like that?

·
Registered
192 Posts
I got the 7.5" ones. 3" outlet. They had to cut pretty close to the muffler when welding them on, but they flare out of the bumper perfectly. Now, anything 4" - 8" should work, it just depends on how much of the exhaust pipe after the muffler they cut off.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Vibrant #1207 ss tip, Round, angle cut, 4po
Vibrant Universal Exhaust Tips 1207

On my car:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b272/hurricane_sr/Mazda6/Vibrant1207.jpg

The guy at the shop had to:
- Cut the ugly tail pipe
- Weld a short piece of pipe on the tip, enlarged at one end to build a reducer
- Then weld it on the muffler
Hmmm, it looks awesome and the price for the tip is just right, but I have a feeling it will cause problems given it is flush with the bumper? How much did the shop charge you?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I got my tips from Summit Racing,
welded onto the stock exhaust.
I like it quiet in the car.....

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hmmm, it looks awesome and the price for the tip is just right, but I have a feeling it will cause problems given it is flush with the bumper? How much did the shop charge you?
As fas I can remember, 50-60$ to install both.

Depth was adjusted the way I wanted them, so it was possible to put them more inward/outward and about the gap btw the pipe and the bumper, it's about 1/2 inch so it never touch the bumper unless you hit something. Just enough gap to clean it right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts