Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Everyone,

I want to delete the chrome trim pieces on the window and back trunk piece and was wondering if anyone has done this. How much did it cost?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good Evening Everyone,

I want to delete the chrome trim pieces on the window and back trunk piece and was wondering if anyone has done this. How much did it cost?
Yep, I removed the "Mazda6" and "Skyactiv" badge off the rear decklid and plastidipped the chrome on the trunk black with a clear gloss layer. It came out alright for a first attempt I guess... I am real happy with the look. Makes my GJ stand out from the others without being offensive or ostentatious. I am particularly pleased with how the front Mazda badge came out in contrast with the black grille. If you're going to paint the chrome pieces around the window as well I suggest taking them out first will make things much easier.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I removed the "Mazda6" and "Skyactiv" badge off the rear decklid and plastidipped the chrome on the trunk black with a clear gloss layer. It came out alright for a first attempt I guess... I am real happy with the look. Makes my GJ stand out from the others without being offensive or ostentatious. I am particularly pleased with how the front Mazda badge came out in contrast with the black grille. If you're going to paint the chrome pieces around the window as well I suggest taking them out first will make things much easier.
Can you post some pictures? I've gotten ridiculous quotes from $400-600, I'm definitely not going to pay that much might just do it myself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Can you post some pictures? I've gotten ridiculous quotes from $400-600, I'm definitely not going to pay that much might just do it myself.
If you search "mazda 6 aesthetic modifications" into google images the very first two pictures are mine. I tried to upload it here but didn't feel like playing around with the file type to get it to work.

I think it's a great idea and you should def try considering you have the pretty rare red paint. I think it will look amazing. The key here is to take your time when taping up the area around whatever you want to plastidip. If you leave some space around the chrome, peeling the excess plastidip will be easy and it'll come out perfect as long as you're careful. As for the chrome around the windows, you may want to try and find a youtube video how to take those pieces out. If you're having trouble finding videos specifically for the third gen try looking for videos of the second gen mazda 6 or even the ford fusion for ideas as they are all the same cookie-cutter chassis design. I doubt most cars are very different.

I would also tint your windows all around, get a front plate re locator and wrap your roof carbon/gloss black. For me painting the emblem on the front grille was super easy and came out perfectly, I'll probably need to get a better picture of that if you're curious to see what the front looks like.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Depends on how you want to do it, Plasti-Dip will run you about $20 tops.

Definitely might go with Plasti-Dip because vinyl is way too expensive.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you search "mazda 6 aesthetic modifications" into google images the very first two pictures are mine. I tried to upload it here but didn't feel like playing around with the file type to get it to work.

I think it's a great idea and you should def try considering you have the pretty rare red paint. I think it will look amazing. The key here is to take your time when taping up the area around whatever you want to plastidip. If you leave some space around the chrome, peeling the excess plastidip will be easy and it'll come out perfect as long as you're careful. As for the chrome around the windows, you may want to try and find a youtube video how to take those pieces out. If you're having trouble finding videos specifically for the third gen try looking for videos of the second gen mazda 6 or even the ford fusion for ideas as they are all the same cookie-cutter chassis design. I doubt most cars are very different.

I would also tint your windows all around, get a front plate re locator and wrap your roof carbon/gloss black. For me painting the emblem on the front grille was super easy and came out perfectly, I'll probably need to get a better picture of that if you're curious to see what the front looks like.

I definitely am looking into doing this because I think it'd look really good as you said! I will look into the videos you suggested thanks for the advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts