Mazda 6 Forums banner

161 - 178 of 178 Posts

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
That is so awesome you can just drive to Summit and pick up whatever you need! Closest one to me is in Nevada...

·
Registered
110 Posts
That is so awesome you can just drive to Summit and pick up whatever you need! Closest one to me is in Nevada...
The closest one to me is probably the one that Chris was at...only 9 hours away!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Without too many spoilers about what is happening right now, and believe me it a lot more than just the frame, I wanted to share with all of you the full extent of my frame rot.
In the photo the welds (red) for the rack mounting point were also broken halfway across I pulled that side of the sway bar off without even unbolting it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Oh wow!! It makes me kinda glad that my car leaks oil lol. I was joking with a friend of mine Sunday night about how much oil is under the car but no rust. I said that I'm going to start calling it my "Chassis lubrication mod" for rust prevention lol. I'm glad that you found it before anything drastic happened. That's a great save!! Definitely a point earned for the saved a 1st gen badge!!!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Daaamn! That is serious. I'm so happy that I don't live in the rust belt...

·
Rally Racer
1,899 Posts
Got really lucky and found a replacement frame, it’s solid all the way around it’s a huge relief I was afraid I was going to have to try and patch mine. This is a much better option especially for only $73

Hey Chris, good score. I happened across another user ( @Nascar1555 ) and his sub-frame renewal project.

The thing that got me about this (other than being very pretty) was the bushing collars that were used.
Since I am always in search for things that improve rigidity this was a natural eyebrow raiser for me.
With your location, powder coating may not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
The day is finally here!! It has been a painstaking four weeks between work and rusted bolts and tight spaces but the result is absolutely amazing. I did take some pics along the way as well as a bit of a photo shoot today, unfortunately most of the work isn’t visible as it all took place under the car but here’s the list and pics

Front:
wheel bearings (both sides, passenger side twice...)
Passenger control arms (Detroit Axle)
Outer tie rod ends (both sides- Detroit Axle)
Struts (KYB Excel G)
Front lowering springs (Eibach)
Subframe (scrapyard ‘06)
Rear engine mount (Anchor)
Sway bar/polyurethane bushings (Steeda)

Rear:
Wheel bearings (TRQ)
Lower rear control arms/spring seats (both- Duralast)
Camber Bolts (OEM Mazda)
Outer bolts, rear control arm (OEM Mazda)
Toe control arms (Ultra-Power)
Lowering springs (Eibach)

Basically in the end I replaced everything under the car that was more than two years old, more pics below.
IMG_1553.jpg IMG_1554.jpg -2420937101927662376_IMG_1822.jpg -1644896924221563553_IMG_1823.jpg 2594295889159856446_IMG_1825.jpg -6876185759385197800_IMG_1836.jpg -1128598565087563776_IMG_1837.jpg

·
Registered
110 Posts
Outstanding job Chris. All of your work had definitely paid off.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Nice!!!! I bet she handles real nice now!

Where's that "saved a 1st gen " badge lol. Great work and I'm sure you'll get many more years out of her now.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Did another ATF flush today to swap out the cheap Valvoline ATF with some RP Max. I’ve only put about 6 miles on it but it does seem happier than before especially once it gets hot 175+

·
Registered
460 Posts
You've done a lot of work! Great job!

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Awesome to hear you have her back on the road again, I bet it feels like a different car once you replaced all those parts!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
The current state of the Blue Devil...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Soooo, I've been a little absent from here lately, mostly due to that crazy thing called life, but anyhow time for an update! Let me start with saying this is the first time I've logged on here on a computer in months and I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm more than a little pissed to see that my badges have disappeared with this god awful so called "update" which leads to my next complaint, who the f**k designed this its terrible maybe its partly because I haven't used it much yet but so far even after a few hours I still HATE it...moving on!

The hood just kept getting worse and worse as it was sanded so I ended up having to buy a replacement, then long story short I got f****d over for 6 and 1/2 weeks straight on getting the car painted in the end the ONLY things that got painted were the hood and bumper. :mad:

Moving on to this past weekend, it was time for the annual Midwest Mazda Club meet in Louisville KY the meet starts at the meeting point just off the interstate, then becomes a "spirited" drive along Taylorsville Lake with a couple of well timed "cool-down" stops along the way ending at a restaurant. It was and awesome time, the Blue Devil handled great for the 5 hour drive down and he stood up to everything I put him through during my "spirited" driving, and by spirited I mean I beat the hell out of the poor thing for about 3 1/2 hours of awesome windy back roads high rpms, tires screeching and pushing it as close to the limit as possible through every single corner...unfortunately I do not have a GoPro to really do all this justice, I think we broke more than a few laws if you know what I mean :ROFLMAO:
in related news I had no problem keeping up with the rx-7s, miatas, rx-8s, 3rd gen 6's, and even the speed 3s through all of it

Here's a few pics the rest will be in an album linked HERE

Untitled

Untitled

IMG_1894

IMG_1899

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Cool Update. Glad to hear the 6 handled the spirited driving well. Car looks good with the new hood and painted bumper :)

FYI I read somewhere they are trying to fix it so we get our badges back. The site is a bit more aesthetically appealing IMO but you're right it takes a bit of getting used to the new format when navigating it.

161 - 178 of 178 Posts