Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Very nice! Maybe it's been posted here before, but this vid looks like it works and the kids has a gift for making really helpful vids. https://youtu.be/UEJbKLZ7RmM
interestingly that's almost exactly what the turtle wax kit was minus the clear coat ( I did end up using some I had on hand) it had these two really fine sandpaper squares each with two sides so four different grits it had a "clarifying compound" which was basically a cutting compound that you are supposed to use a cotton terry cloth to buff the lights in the end, a "spray lubricant" which seemed like water with a little soap mixed in and it also had two wipes, one said base coat and the other said sealing top coat which I used over the clear coat.
Yeah, wet sanding then a clear coat seems to be the universal fix, haha.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Well it was a whopping 56 degrees here in Ohio today so I gave it a good wash inside and out and then went a little crazy with pics

Before

After

More down below
IMG_0616.jpg IMG_0618.jpg IMG_0617.jpg IMG_0623.jpg IMG_0626.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Scored big at the scrapyard today, found 4 new rotors. They are basically brand new just some surface rust from siting in the rain there’s no pitting at all on them and they’re drilled/slotted. Only cost $10 each

·
Registered
458 Posts
Scored big at the scrapyard today, found 4 new rotors. They are basically brand new just some surface rust from siting in the rain there’s no pitting at all on them and they’re drilled/slotted. Only cost $10 each
Nice score! Is there any truth to drilled rotors being more prone to warping, especially on the front of a FWD? I don't really know crap about brakes.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Nice score! Is there any truth to drilled rotors being more prone to warping, especially on the front of a FWD? I don't really know crap about brakes.

I too don’t have a lot of knowledge when it comes to this, this is only the second car I have put drilled/slotted rotors on, but the ones that were on the car were also d/s and they were warped it wasn’t extremely bad but it was annoying hence why I bought these when I found them. But mine were also very worn I can’t properly measure them but there was a decent lip on the edge of all of them. If you ask me it just comes down to the quality of the rotors you buy and your driving style.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Well my back is sore, my knees are sore and I am filthy it was a productive day lol
Installed my new rotors
The front wasn’t too bad because I’ve had those off before

But the rears were difficult someone had them off before me and rounded most of the bracket bolts so I had to get creative to get a couple of them off

All in all it was a good day.
IMG_0660.jpg
IMG_0661.jpg

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I noticed some paint bubbles on my door a while back and since I had some sunshine I thought I would investigate expecting a little rust but ended up finding something much worse than I anticipated

Then came to realize that the driver door on the car has obviously been replaced at some point... and found more rust

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
All better now at least for winter hopefully

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Finally got the hatch tinted today thanks to Horizon Audio
Before forgot to take one today so here’s an older pic

And after

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Now I just need to learn how to paint so I can take care of the body work...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
No work on the Mazda today but had to put a fuse box in the truck, started it on Monday and the parking lights, taillights cab lights and a bunch of other stuff wasn’t working and then I found this, it was a first for me never had to replace a whole fuse box before.

Now, what are you still doing here? GO VOTE FOR MY BABY TO WIN 6OTM!!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Went to the junkyard...again today found a standard and decided to do the auto shift boot conversion

Also found this

All together cost $15.06

·
Registered
109 Posts
in your video it shifts out of first really early. does it always do that? does it panic shift if you start in 1 and move the shifter to D? just curious. that would drive me nuts.

i'm admirous that you car DRIVE to SUMMIT RACING.

can you get a manual shift bezel with the ashtray door like the older ones and have it match up with your nicer upper one?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
in your video it shifts out of first really early. does it always do that? does it panic shift if you start in 1 and move the shifter to D? just curious. that would drive me nuts.

i'm admirous that you car DRIVE to SUMMIT RACING.

can you get a manual shift bezel with the ashtray door like the older ones and have it match up with your nicer upper one?

It doesn’t necessarily shift early, I wasn’t giving it WOT at the time if you look closely you can see how rough the road is in that intersection and with the amount of extra torque I gained with that intake it was breaking the wheels loose. I could probably get the bezel I have considered it I’m just not sure which one I like better lol.

And yeah its awesome to live this close to summit racing, I literally live about 35 minutes (depending on traffic) from the original summit in Tallmadge Ohio I live just outside of Massillon Ohio

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Did some shopping today

Can’t wait to install it and finally get rid of this

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
Installed the radio, as usual it didn’t happen without some hiccups,
I found out he hard way that my junkyard install kit was missing part of its harness

So I had to improvise...luckily there are a few pics of it online so I could figure out what went where

A little solder and heat shrink tubing later—

I think I’m going to paint the radio bezel and the rest of the console a semi-gloss black eventually I think it will look better

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think I’m going to paint the radio bezel and the rest of the console a semi-gloss black eventually I think it will look better
I did exactly that with mine and am very happy with the results...

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
I did exactly that with mine and am very happy with the results...

Did you use any kind of clear coat?
EDIT- never mind I went back and found your post in the “what did you do to your 6 today” thread

·
Registered
110 Posts
Did you use any kind of clear coat?
EDIT- never mind I went back and found your post in the “what did you do to your 6 today” thread
No problem, yes; multiple coats of semi-gloss black followed by multiple coats of semi-gloss clear. Here's a better picture of the completed paint job before I installed the radio & shifter bezels back into the car

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Finally found a way to fix the issue of my high beam indicator coming on with my fog lights, ended up completely tearing apart the fuse box and doing some wiring of my own. And painted the center console/radio bezel,
3 coats krylon bonding primer

4 coats of krylon fusion satin black

Lost count of how many coats of krylon satin clear but the finished product looks good

41 - 60 of 178 Posts