Mazda 6 Forums banner

121 - 140 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
I HAVE AN IMPORTANT QUESTION IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER FOR ME!!
I WANT TO BUY THEM 19" BBS RIMS.THE HAVE A 2" CHROME LIP IN THE FRONT AND 3 " LIP ON THE BACK.THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL RIMS.THE GUY SAID HE CAN GET THE RIMS I WANT WITH A BOLT PATTERN OF 114X 5 FOR MY CAR.EVERYTHING FITS PERFECT EXCEPT IT HAS A 38MM OFFSET.WILL THOSE FIT MY CAR.THE MAZDA6 5- SEDAN V6???
WHAT SIZE TIRES WOULD I NEED FOR THOSE RIMS?[/b]
I'm pretty sure it will, the worst scenario you ill have to roll the fenders

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I'm pretty sure it will, the worst scenario you ill have to roll the fenders[/b]

you just quoted a 2 year old post. and btw, widths would be needed to answer this question, since +38 will rub and with his description of the wheels, probably were 8.5's which would not fit at that offset

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Fellow M6 Owners,

I'm new to the forum and a 2007 Mazda 6 owner. I have a black hatchback,grand touring model with 18" tires. The stock tires I got with the car are Pirelli PZero Neros (215 45R18) and at 12,000 miles, they pretty much suck. They are feathering like mad and of course Pirelli won't do anything about them and so far Mazda hasn't said they would do anything either.

The Manager at Mr. Tire (this is where Mazda sent me to have them send in a claim to Pirelli) said, "I wonder why they put such a high performance and high mileage rated tire on this car?" I wondered that myself since I don't plan on going much faster than 100 or so but they did.

Anyway it seems I have to replace all four tires now and I'm frustrated in finding the right tire size and a tire that will last longer than 12K miles. My questions are as follows:

1 - What sizes will fit on the wheels that I have other than 215 45R18s? I read the first post on this thread and if I'm reading it correctly, I can put the following sizes on my rims:

215/45R18 7.0"-8.0" 35 psi (6s, 6i), 38 psi (Mazdaspeed6) *original equipment size*
225/40R18 7.5"-9.0" 38 psi
225/45R18 7.0"-8.5" 38 psi
235/40R18 8.0"-9.5" 38 psi
245/40R18 8.0"-9.5" 38 psi

If this is correct, no need to answer that question.

2 - I don't want to get Pirelli's again and I've found other brands in my size (I only checked the 215 45R18 sizes so far). They are:

Bridgestone Potenza RE 92 (all season tires)
Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 (summer only)
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS (all season tires)
TOYO Proxes T1R (summer only)

Can anyone give me their opinions on these tires or another brand I could look into for my car? I want a comfortable ride, low noise, fairly decent treadware and good handling year round.

I love my car but the ride right now sucks. Any help would be appreciated!
Shades
Baltimore, MD

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
1 - What sizes will fit on the wheels that I have other than 215 45R18s? I read the first post on this thread and if I'm reading it correctly, I can put the following sizes on my rims:

215/45R18 7.0"-8.0" 35 psi (6s, 6i), 38 psi (Mazdaspeed6) *original equipment size*
225/40R18 7.5"-9.0" 38 psi
225/45R18 7.0"-8.5" 38 psi
235/40R18 8.0"-9.5" 38 psi
245/40R18 8.0"-9.5" 38 psi

If this is correct, no need to answer that question.[/b]
You left out a critical piece of information that was included on the first page. Your original equipment wheel is 18x7. There are only two sizes on that list that will work on an 18x7 wheel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2 - I don't want to get Pirelli's again and I've found other brands in my size (I only checked the 215 45R18 sizes so far). They are:

Bridgestone Potenza RE 92 (all season tires)
Bridgestone Potenza RE 050 (summer only)
BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDWS (all season tires)
TOYO Proxes T1R (summer only)

Can anyone give me their opinions on these tires or another brand I could look into for my car? I want a comfortable ride, low noise, fairly decent treadware and good handling year round.

I love my car but the ride right now sucks. Any help would be appreciated!
Shades
Baltimore, MD[/b]
I can't speak for the 18" version...but I would STAY AWAY from the Potenza's. I had to deal with the RE92's as the stock tires on my last car, a Scion tC. Some of the optional wheel and tire packages for that car had the 18's with the potenza summer only but I can't say for sure that they were the same tires. The people that had those were unhappy as well.

Have you checked tire rack to see what options there are? I don't see a couple brands that should make the correct size for your car. The "off" brands aren't mentioned anywhere here like Falken and Hankook. Both make great tires that are still "sporty" but not hard-core sport tires.
Good luck to you...I feel tire shopping is like trying to buy shoes when you have weird sized feet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You left out a critical piece of information that was included on the first page. Your original equipment wheel is 18x7. There are only two sizes on that list that will work on an 18x7 wheel.[/b]
I don't know if my wheels are 18 x 7. I'm assuming they are if that is what they put 215 45R18 tires on. I'm clueless when it comes to tires as you can see. So if I do have 18 x 7 wheels, are these the only two tire sizes I can use?

215/45R18 & 225/45R18

I did go to Tire Rack and other tire sites. I see reviews that say good things about Potenza's and bad things. I told the Mr. Tire guy I was thinking of getting the Toyo's but he said, "STAY AWAY FROM THOSE". I was so frustrated because I've read good reviews on them. I see they make the Toyo Proxes 4 (all season performance) in the 225/45R18 size. I wonder if they are any good? The Mr. Tire guy said the Potenzas are good but now I'm not so sure.

Any more feedback would be very helpful!
Shades
P.S. I hate shoe shopping!!!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
I don't know if my wheels are 18 x 7. I'm assuming they are if that is what they put 215 45R18 tires on. I'm clueless when it comes to tires as you can see. So if I do have 18 x 7 wheels, are these the only two tire sizes I can use?

215/45R18 & 225/45R18

I did go to Tire Rack and other tire sites. I see reviews that say good things about Potenza's and bad things. I told the Mr. Tire guy I was thinking of getting the Toyo's but he said, "STAY AWAY FROM THOSE". I was so frustrated because I've read good reviews on them. I see they make the Toyo Proxes 4 (all season performance) in the 225/45R18 size. I wonder if they are any good? The Mr. Tire guy said the Potenzas are good but now I'm not so sure.

Any more feedback would be very helpful!
Shades
P.S. I hate shoe shopping!!![/b]
If you have the factory wheels, then you have 18x7, so the two sizes you mentioned are the only ones available. As far as Toyos go, well, I worked for Toyo for 6 years and can attest they are good tires. Maybe Mr. Tire was only trying to sell you what he has in stock.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Hi Fellow M6 Owners,
I'm new to the forum and a 2007 Mazda 6 owner. I have a black hatchback,grand touring model with 18" tires. The stock tires I got with the car are Pirelli PZero Neros (215 45R18) and at 12,000 miles, they pretty much suck. They are feathering like mad and of course Pirelli won't do anything about them and so far Mazda hasn't said they would do anything either.I love my car but the ride right now sucks. Any help would be appreciated!.......
Shades
Baltimore, MD[/b]
Going up to 225-45-18, and an SL rated tire like the linked continental, will give a better ride quality and allow lower pressures like 32 psi.

Hi-po all season tire

also handy when winter arrives in baltimore.

to avoid feathering, get alignment done right, and not just in spec:

alignment, in spec not good enough

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok I think I'm going to go with the Continental ContiExtremeContact 225/45 R18 91W BSW tires. I found them at tire-easy.com for $128 each and that includes Road Hazard for all four tires. With shipping it comes to about $560. After all is said and done, it should cost me under $800 (tires, installation, road hazard and alignment). Compared to Mr. Tire's price of $1300 for the Potenza RE050's, I should be happy. I guess I'll see how these tires work out.

Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it!

Shades

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got an email from my Mazda dealer. They are offering to install the 4 new tires I purchase and align the wheels for me per their "Goodwill" policy. I'll take what I can get. So I just have to buy the tires. I asked the Service Manager if he knew for sure if 225/45 R18 tires would not be a problem in replacing the 215/ 45 R18 OEM tires. He didn't really have a clue so I just want to verify one last time before I purchase these tires online.

I'm either buying the Continental ContiExtremeContact 225/45 R18's ($570 total includes road hazard insurance for each tire and shipping) or the Toyo Proxes 4 225/45 R18's ($676 total includes road hazard insurance for each timre plus shipping). Both seem like very good quality tires at a reasonable price.

Will these DEFINITELY fit my 18 x 7 OEM wheels? I'd hate to buy them and have the service guys tell me they will interfere with the traction control or ABS sensors (Firestone guy said he wasn't sure if this size would interfere with any sensors).

You guys seem real knowledgable about this stuff and I'm 99% convinced but a few more feedbacks on this would push me that extra 1%. Sorry if I'm being a Pain but I don't want to have to ship these back and incur more expenses than I'm already incurring.

Thanks,
Shades

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Will these DEFINITELY fit my 18 x 7 OEM wheels? I'd hate to buy them and have the service guys tell me they will interfere with the traction control or ABS sensors (Firestone guy said he wasn't sure if this size would interfere with any sensors).[/b]
Yes they will DEFINITELY fit. They will not interfere with any sensors because they are within 3% of the original tire's overall diameter. :yesnod:

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I have a strange one for someone... I have some wheels that I took off my 1994 BMW 325i right before I sold it two cars ago. I have been storing them in the garage for a while now and would like to see if there is anyway I can put them on my 2007 Mazdaspeed6. The wheels are 18x8.5 with an offset of +45mm. The bolt pattern is standard BMW of 5x120mm. H&R makes wheel adapters that will allow me to physically bolt them to the car, but they are 20mm or 25mm thick. with the use of the spacer/adapter from my understanding it will bring the effective offset of the wheels down from 45mm to 25mm or 20mm.

Is it at all possible or am I just dreaming. When you refer to rubbing, where does it rub? I have a huge gap in my fender well and stiff enough suspension that it doesn't look like it would bottom out onto the fender if it was out too far. Would it rub in the front when I try to turn?

Right now the wheels have 225/4ZR18 88W on them, I suspect that if I was able to fit them that I would have to get new tires with a higher load rating? What is all in a load rating? On the side of the tire it states max load of 1235 LBS. 1235 X 4 = 4940. Car of 3600 lbs plus cargo doesn't weigh that much. Anyone have a good link to info on load rating so I can better understand this?

Sorry if I have asked any blatantly stupid questions, just saw that they made adapters and thought it would be cool to see the wheels used again.

Thanks,
Trever

[attachment=29381:BMW_325i...e_Wheels.jpg][attachment=29380:Foose_BM...5i_Wheel.
pg]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
^^^ Trever, this is a bad idea for several reasons:

1. Tire size is okay, but the load index is WAY too low. That tire won't carry enough load for the MS6.

2. With the spacers (already a bad idea), bringing the offset down to +20 or +25 is WAY too low. Your wheels will stick out of the fenderwells at least two inches (probably illegal in your state) and they will hit the rear fender upon compression.

With the offset so out of whack, even if you got this setup to work, your handling is going to totally suck.

Best thing to do is to get on ebay or some other website, sell your wheels, try to get some money back out of them and buy something that is MADE TO FIT the MS6.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all,

Surprisingly I've seen few posts here regarding the widest tire size yet mounted. I guess that's because there is a lot of risk involved in not having the wheels fit and paid for. Regardless, I've been researching this and want some tire/wheel experts feedback. As we all know these car are not light, therefore I'd like get as much rubber down as possible. I'm going to fit the 245/40/17 or the 245/45/17 to the car. At first I thought the way to go was 245/40/17 but many of the Bridgestone tires (my preference) don't have the appropriate load rating of 93 or better in the 40 size. So I thought about using the 245/45/17 on the car which has the appropriate load rating and putting it on an 8.5" rim with a 50+ offset. There are a few wheels offered in this size but they are available and they don't come cheap.

What are your thoughts on the 8.5" rim fitting with the 50+ offset. Should the offset be larger? Am I better going with the lower profile due to its smaller diameter for clearance reasons.

Before someone asks, yes I'm more than willing to roll the fenders.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hi all,

Surprisingly I've seen few posts here regarding the widest tire size yet mounted. I guess that's because there is a lot of risk involved in not having the wheels fit and paid for. Regardless, I've been researching this and want some tire/wheel experts feedback. As we all know these car are not light, therefore I'd like get as much rubber down as possible. I'm going to fit the 245/40/17 or the 245/45/17 to the car. At first I thought the way to go was 245/40/17 but many of the Bridgestone tires (my preference) don't have the appropriate load rating of 93 or better in the 40 size. So I thought about using the 245/45/17 on the car which has the appropriate load rating and putting it on an 8.5" rim with a 50+ offset. There are a few wheels offered in this size but they are available and they don't come cheap.

What are your thoughts on the 8.5" rim fitting with the 50+ offset. Should the offset be larger? Am I better going with the lower profile due to its smaller diameter for clearance reasons.

Before someone asks, yes I'm more than willing to roll the fenders.[/b]
Yeah there are very few trailblazers with the Mazda 6 crowd. I'm more worried about not clearing suspension arms than rolling my fenders. Wish there were more people pushing the limits. I have heard of 265's being fitted under stock fenders with some rolling, however I have no specs.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
As we all know these car are not light, therefore I'd like get as much rubber down as possible. I'm going to fit the 245/40/17 or the 245/45/17 to the car. At first I thought the way to go was 245/40/17 but many of the Bridgestone tires (my preference) don't have the appropriate load rating of 93 or better in the 40 size.[/b]
You seem to have conflated several concepts.

A wider tire will not necessarily either help you "get as much rubber down as possible" nor address the issue that the car is not light.

For a given inflation pressure, the contact patch -- the area of the tread that actually is touching the pavement at any given instant -- will be the same size whether the tire is wide or narrow, low or tall. Going to a wider tire will just change the shape of the contact patch, not make the contact patch any larger. You can increase the size of the contact patch by running the tires at a increased inflation pressure, up to a point. (That point is an inflation pressure of about 35-36 psi with standard load tires, or about 41 psi with extra load or reinforced tires.) Decreasing tire pressure to get more rubber on the road, therefore, decreases the tire's load-carrying capacity.

However, if your main concern is to maximize the load capacity of your tires, there is a more straightforward way to accomplish it: get tires with a higher load index and inflate them to the proper pressure for the load you require. Appendix B of this document will assist you in that endeavor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You seem to have conflated several concepts.

A wider tire will not necessarily either help you "get as much rubber down as possible" nor address the issue that the car is not light.

For a given inflation pressure, the contact patch -- the area of the tread that actually is touching the pavement at any given instant -- will be the same size whether the tire is wide or narrow, low or tall. Going to a wider tire will just change the shape of the contact patch, not make the contact patch any larger. You can increase the size of the contact patch by running the tires at a increased inflation pressure, up to a point. (That point is an inflation pressure of about 35-36 psi with standard load tires, or about 41 psi with extra load or reinforced tires.) Decreasing tire pressure to get more rubber on the road, therefore, decreases the tire's load-carrying capacity.

However, if your main concern is to maximize the load capacity of your tires, there is a more straightforward way to accomplish it: get tires with a higher load index and inflate them to the proper pressure for the load you require. Appendix B of this document will assist you in that endeavor.[/b]
Interesting point. However, all things being equal the wider tire will have a larger contact patch. Just check the overall section width and tread width. You mention the patch shape changes. I'd say yes it does. It become bigger or smaller. I realize we can play with preassures to achieve slight changes in character. My question was assuming we are starting with an optimal tire size for a given wheel. Otherwise we'll spend the next ten pages debating opinions. It's like economics. You have to hold some variables as given to talk about the bigger picture. Otherwise there becomes to many moving parts to have meaningful conversation.

I'd agree too with gusto that the wheel needs to clear the arms. I just wish some people had tried something a little wider. Even just placed the rim on the car to see where it sits.

I think what my concern is that the load capacity must be enough to handle forces upon it during agressive driving such as an autocross. I think we all would agree this car would most likely make a better road car than track due to the limited tire size. Evo's and the like have a huge advantage on an autocross track where, in my experience, size of your contact patch matters. Again. Yes a skilled driver helps.

Anyones input regarding fitment is welcome.

Anyway, I hoped someone could give me a starting point to work with. Rims at $350/each aren't fun to test with.

Thanks for the reply's

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Interesting point. However, all things being equal the wider tire will have a larger contact patch. Just check the overall section width and tread width. You mention the patch shape changes. I'd say yes it does. It become bigger or smaller.[/b]
Not true. The tire at rest, supporting the mass of the vehicle, is a closed system. The inflation pressure inside the tire must be in equilibrium with the pressure on the outside of the tire. The inflation pressure is measured (in the English system) in pounds per square inch (psi). On the outside of the tire, that same figure also is measured in pounds per square inch (psi). The inflation pressure inside the tire and the size of the contact patch on the outside of the tire are mutually dependent variables. While a wider tire has a wider contact patch than a narrower tire does at the same inflation pressure, the wider tire's contact patch is also shorter, front-to-rear; conversely, mounted on the same vehicle (and inflated to the same pressure), the narrower tire has a longer contact patch, front-to-rear, than the wider tire's contact patch. While the shapes of the two contact patches differ, the total area of each of the two tires' contact patches is the same. All of this arcane stuff is explained in much greater detail - - here (clickable link).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not true. The tire at rest, supporting the mass of the vehicle, is a closed system. The inflation pressure inside the tire must be in equilibrium with the pressure on the outside of the tire. The inflation pressure is measured (in the English system) in pounds per square inch (psi). On the outside of the tire, that same figure also is measured in pounds per square inch (psi). The inflation pressure inside the tire and the size of the contact patch on the outside of the tire are mutually dependent variables. While a wider tire has a wider contact patch than a narrower tire does at the same inflation pressure, the wider tire's contact patch is also shorter, front-to-rear; conversely, mounted on the same vehicle (and inflated to the same pressure), the narrower tire has a longer contact patch, front-to-rear, than the wider tire's contact patch. While the shapes of the two contact patches differ, the total area of each of the two tires' contact patches is the same. All of this arcane stuff is explained in much greater detail - - here (clickable link).[/b]

Thank you again. Looks like some light reading this weekend.

I checked out the Toyo site, along with many others, and noticed on the 245/40/07 Toto requires a 9.0" rim, others don't. While with no certainty my guess is that a 9" rim doesn't fit the car. Most other tire manufacturers recommend the 8.5" rim. This I'm thinking of getting. What's your thoughts on this. Can the 8.5' rim be adequate. I like the load rating on the tire.

121 - 140 of 304 Posts
About this Discussion
303 Replies
146 Participants
mozz
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing