Mazda 6 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ya if he suggested it, dont eat it man. Guys i just ordered a set of Kuhmo 225/45/18's for my 06 6s. It has the factory 18's on it. Has any one had any rubbing problems from this size tire on the factory 18" wheel ? the tire guy is a friend of mine, he said if i dont like them we will send them back till i get what i want :D[/b]
Same setup on my 6i with MS6 wheels. No rub-a-dub. You won't have any issues.

·
Registered
406 Posts
So I dropped off my wheels on Tuesday. For some reason Town Fair Tire won't take your wheel off if it was not bought from them (aftermarket wheels only). Anyhow I called yesterday (Friday). They said they are still waiting for the plastic piece so my wheels don't get stratch??? Anyhow I found out they ordered the Toyo T1R's and not the Proxes 4's. I said fine but as long as they match the internet price ($171 mounted). I know the T1R's will handle better, but the proxes 4's will be more for wet or snow.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I know the T1R's will handle better, but the proxes 4's will be more for wet or snow.[/b]
T1R good in wet.

Proxes4 better in snow.

Designing a tire for good wet traction compromises its snow traction; designing a tire for good snow traction compromises its wet traction; they are basically inconsistent goals in tire design.

·
Registered
406 Posts
T1R good in wet.

Proxes4 better in snow.

Designing a tire for good wet traction compromises its snow traction; designing a tire for good snow traction compromises its wet traction; they are basically inconsistent goals in tire design.[/b]
OK, thanks. I think I will be happier with the T1R, they do look sick. Ater the tires comes the coilovers. :drive:

·
Registered
84 Posts
So I dropped off my wheels on Tuesday. For some reason Town Fair Tire won't take your wheel off if it was not bought from them (aftermarket wheels only). Anyhow I called yesterday (Friday). They said they are still waiting for the plastic piece so my wheels don't get stratch??? Anyhow I found out they ordered the Toyo T1R's and not the Proxes 4's. I said fine but as long as they match the internet price ($171 mounted). I know the T1R's will handle better, but the proxes 4's will be more for wet or snow.[/b]

Better be glad they are ordering the plastic piece for you. The company I used scratched my rims when i had the kumhos put on. Nothing drastic but i notice a spec of dust if it gets on the car. I pointed this out to them as well.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Yeah, be careful. I had the tires on my 3s replaced March of '06 by Mr. Tire and they scratched all 4 rims on every single spoke, putting a gouged line on each one about an inch or so in from the lip of the rim. They tried to tell me that they couldn't have possibly done it but after making them take the wheel off and lining it up on their mounting machine they came back and said yeah it could have probably done it. And just to get them to confirm that took almost 2 months of fighting. They initially wanted to pay me back for the damages with store credit. I told them no because I only come to the for tires, rotation/balance, and alignment. And since I had the tires replaced on both cars within the past 6 months, what would store credit do for me.

After that it took until December of '06 to this January to actually get any compensation for it. They initially wanted to just "repair" the rims by repainting but I wouldn't accept it unless they can ensure me the repair would look and last as good as if not better than OEM. They weren't sure if it would, besides they couldn't find a shop that would do it. Then they offered to replace them but I wanted them to replace them for OEM. What did they do? They went to an aftermarket company that works with insurance companies that specializes in "refurbished" wheels. So I would get a wheel that looks like mine but may have been made by someone else or was damaged previously then fixed later.

They cut me a check for about $900 to get the work done. I was unsatisfied with this since I wanted them to replace them for the exact ones that Mazda sells (the exact ones on my car), but it would cost around $1800 to replace all 4. Also they were to replace the valve stems with this and I noticed on the estimate that they put the valve stems down as aftermarket solid stems instead of the TPMS stems that they were, which I called and fought about but didn't get anywhere (they told me that if they got replaced and their check didn't cover it to pay out of my pocket and submit them the receipt and they would compensate for it).

Needless to say, after fighting with them for almost a year, I decided to keep the check and cash it and not get the wheels done. I was tired of fighting on the phone with someone out of state. The wife said she didn't mind the scratches, but I did. Oh well, I basically put the money into buying the 6s to replace my POS 94 Taurus. Who would have thought that getting something as simple as tires can turn into such a fiasco. This is why I prefer to do my own work or have the dealer work on it, but I figured tires and alignment is simple so how can they mess it up. I was wrong.

I am now in the situation of needing my tires rotated/balanced and possibly need an alignment. I was thinking of going to the dealer but they want $60 to balance/rotate the tires and $100 for alignment while some of the local shops here will charge only $20 for rotate/balance and $70 for alignment after coupon. Do I pay the extra money and have the dealer do it or do I take the chance from a local shop and save $60-$70?

Paul

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
Paul,I would go to the dealer and see if they will match the advertised prices of the competition.Mazda and Ford both have programs that compensate the dealers for market competition and if you talk to the service manager he/she will probably go for it.Again,on some things you do get what you pay for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just a quick question... I see most people run 235/40/18, on 18" inch rims. Today when I bought my Evo6's, the guy at wheelsnext said he wont sell me that size, becasue there is no way they'll fit my car. He said the best size for the Toyo Proxes 4s would be 215/35/18..

..does this sound right?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Just a quick question... I see most people run 235/40/18, on 18" inch rims. Today when I bought my Evo6's, the guy at wheelsnext said he wont sell me that size, becasue there is no way they'll fit my car. He said the best size for the Toyo Proxes 4s would be 215/35/18..

..does this sound right?[/b]
215/45/18 (25.61 in. diam.) is the stock size. If you go to a 215/35/18 (23.92 in. diam.) there will be a 6.6% difference in size. You should not go more than 3% difference when changing tire sizes. That is why the most common sizing you see for the MS6 besides stock is 225/45/18, 225/40/18, and 235/40/18 is you have a wide enough rim.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculato...p?action=submit

·
Registered
51 Posts
215/45/18 (25.61 in. diam.) is the stock size. If you go to a 215/35/18 (23.92 in. diam.) there will be a 6.6% difference in size. You should not go more than 3% difference when changing tire sizes. That is why the most common sizing you see for the MS6 besides stock is 225/45/18, 225/40/18, and 235/40/18 is you have a wide enough rim.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculato...p?action=submit[/b]

well the evo6's are 18/7.5, but he said there is no way that 225/40/18 or 225/45/18 will fit my car, according to his "book". The guy was a young guy and seemed to know what he was talking about, but it just didnt make sense from what I was reading on the board.

Should i ask for a larger size then??

·
Registered
6,686 Posts

..does this sound right?[/b]

You want me to send you a pic of those tires on my car???????I have P235/40/ZR18's on my Motegi RT5's with a 45mm offset and Mazdaspeed hatch springs with around a 1.5" drop on it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sure, did you have your fenders rolled?

Also, dont forget to help me out, do I need a larger tire size?

·
Registered
51 Posts
made separate post..

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sould I be worried mounting a 225-40-18 on my stock mazdaspeed6 rim? Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Sould I be worried mounting a 225-40-18 on my stock mazdaspeed6 rim? Thanks, Scott[/b]
Did you read the very first page? Your answer is there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Did you read the very first page? Your answer is there.[/b]

I read it but I keep hearing that it is bad. The only thing I want to know is it safe? I dont want to lose a tire with my 2 year old son in the back. Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I read it but I keep hearing that it is bad. The only thing I want to know is it safe? I dont want to lose a tire with my 2 year old son in the back. Thanks, Scott[/b]
No, it is not particularly safe. You run the risk of premature tire failure, likely by cracking of the bead area and/or shoulder area. Does this happen overnight? No. It takes time. But if I were you, I'd switch to an appropriate size for your wheel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
No, it is not particularly safe. You run the risk of premature tire failure, likely by cracking of the bead area and/or shoulder area. Does this happen overnight? No. It takes time. But if I were you, I'd switch to an appropriate size for your wheel.[/b]
I just e-mailed discount tire direct and the said that I should try 235-40-18. Will this work without fender rolling?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
I just e-mailed discount tire direct and the said that I should try 235-40-18. Will this work without fender rolling?[/b]
On your stock wheels? You can't go wider! :nono:

215/45R18 or 225/45R18 are your only choices.

101 - 120 of 304 Posts
About this Discussion
303 Replies
146 Participants
mozz
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing