Mazda 6 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my rim size question.I want to purchase 19" Axis Hiro wheels, Will this size rim give me any trouble rubbing wise?
[/b]
In this thread there's alot of info that can help you out. generally the more you plus size the tire the you have a chance of rubbing. some people rub on the stock set-up if i'm not mistaken. as much as i hate to tell you this, the best thing to do is search, there are other thread talking about 19's but they may not be helpful. Hope this helps but I didn't do an in-dept search, consider it a starter kit. One more thing, this isn't the thread for rim size :nana:

·
Registered
787 Posts
Is there list of what in a Speed6 *without* rubbing? I've searched, but haven't found a thread similar to this one for the S6. In the list of changes from 6 to Sp6 larger clearance is one of them, but there sure is not a whole lot of room.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've herd the term fits rather easly through out this post. What are we talking about when we say easy? easy like purchase rims and install ? or easy like stand in drive shaking fists at the sky?

225/40/18 on a 8 inch rim with 48mm offset fit a 06, 6s five door ?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Just bought some 18" wheels. They are 18" by 8" with an offset of 35mm. What size tires should I get for the rims? 2005 6i by the way, unrolled fenders, though rolling is an option...

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Just installed some RX8 wheels tonight. Had to use the stock tires tho. I wanted to go with some 225/40/18s from Yokohama but none were in stock.

Also waiting on one damn rim from Rays so I can finally mount my 19inch G-game Sidewinder 2-Piece wheels. And for those that will PM me later about pics of them mounted. I will take pics for you. ;) And NO I don't know who that chick is in my avatar. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've searched and searched but no luck.
Out of sheer desperation I had to put tires on my car in Podunk, Tx and all they had were 215/55R17's. They are on the front and fixed my speedometer error. I have a 2004 Mazda6 S V-6. They seem fine on the front but will they fit on the back? The tires themselves I REALLY like and will probably keep and the store I went to has a 30 day return policy (and a location NOT in podunk).

Thanks for your input in advance,
Andrew

·
Registered
406 Posts
Looking for some here guys:

I just bought a set of the ALT Meka 18x7.5" 5x114.3 rims (I think the offset is +42).

If anyone has these that would sweet......

I was wondering a couple of things:

What size tire will fit without rubbing? I was hoping to go with 225/45/18.
I have no idea how to fender roll if I had to. Still resourcing that option. I would pay someone if they can direct me in the right direction.

What brand/model tire is everyone swearing by? Keep in mind the ALT will be used for spring-summer only

I appreciate anyones input.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
What brand/model tire is everyone swearing by? Keep in mind the ALT will be used for spring-summer only[/b]
Hard to speak for everyone; this_ one thinks the Yokohama ADVAN Sport is the best tire available today for street use.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Tire Load Ratings, Min for Mazda6=?

Posttosh has a great link for checking eurometric and pmetric tire sizes, load ratings vs pressure, rim widths, etc.

Tire Mega Chart

The tire load rating and pressure is spec'd by mazda, based on a federal front axle weight:

Federal Guide For Max Tire Loading

FWD: For all mazda6 models, a plaque on the car shows GFAW, or gross front axle wt limit. This is 2372 lbs, or 1186 lbs per tire. The Fed standard says multiply this by 1.064 and then select a tire based on the right load rating and pressure. New load is 1262 lbs. Mazda chose a P215-50-17 93XL tire at 32 psi. From mega chart, the load rating for that tire at 32 psi is 1268 lbs. The 18" 93XL option appears to be a eurometric size, and is also rated at 1268 lbs at mazda's specified 36 psi. No coinsidence. The P205-60-16 91SL at 32 psi exceeds this 1268 lb rating.

MS6: GFAW = 2449 lbs, x.5 x 1.064 = 1303 lbs per tire rating required by Feds. The oem euro-215-45-18 93 XL, at 38 psi, is rated at 1312 lbs. Feds are happy.

The load capacity of a tire must be expressed by the Load Rating (91, 93 etc) and the cold pressure spec. To stay in spec, glancing at the chart, it looks like you could go down to about and 89 rated tire for the Mazda6, if pressures are bumped up accordingly.

If you drive solo at low speeds and no cargo, you can run lower rated tires/pressures, and be within the spirit of the rating system.

Federal Tire Regulation

K2 10-07

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Tire Load Ratings, Min for Mazda6=?
. . .
The load capacity of a tire must be expressed by the Load Rating (91, 93 etc) and the cold pressure spec. To stay in spec, glancing at the chart, it looks like you could go down to about and 89 rated tire, if pressures are bumped up accordingly.

If you drive solo at low speeds and no cargo, you can run lower rated tires/pressures, and be within the spirit of the rating system.[/b]
Nice post, KevinK2. One minor quibble: A standard load (SL) tire is rated for increasing load with increasing pressure only up to an inflation pressure of 35psi (36psi for Euro-metric tires). Above 35psi, there is no gain in load capacity with increased inflation pressure. With an extra load (XL) or Reinforced tire, you can gain extra load carrying capacity by increasing pressure to as much as 41psi, but you get no gain in load capacity by increasing pressure above 41psi. So if you are fitting a tire with an 89 load index to a Mazda6, you may run into the upper limit of increasing inflation pressure gain before you reach the needed load capacity.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Nice post, KevinK2. One minor quibble: ....So if you are fitting a tire with an 89 load index to a Mazda6, you may run into the upper limit of increasing inflation pressure gain before you reach the needed load capacity.[/b]
At 89 you are about at the limits: E=euro, P = pmetric, target = 1268 lbs

P-SL, 1257 at 35 psi (close enough)
E-SL, 1279 at 36 psi

P-XL, 1279 at 41 psi
E-XL, 1279 at 42 psi

For XL's you want to be in the 90's for more reasonable required pressures.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I just bought a set of 235/40/18 for my ALT Meka 7.5" wheels. I was concerned the the tires were too wide for the wheels, but the tire "tech" said it would work; and his reason sold me. The tire do ever so slightly are wider than the wheel, but nothing over done.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
I just bought a set of 235/40/18 for my ALT Meka 7.5" wheels. I was concerned the the tires were too wide for the wheels, but the tire "tech" said it would work; and his reason sold me. The tire do ever so slightly are wider than the wheel, but nothing over done.[/b]
Did you ask him where he got his engineering degree? Because he apparently knows better than the RMA (Rubber Manufacturers Association) and ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation) who publish the specifications for what wheel widths are acceptable for which tires. Go demand your money back and report this "tech" to the manager. Makes me shiver to think how many other people he's done this to. :nono:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Help me out here. Explain to me why I should have this. So when I go back I will explain to him why he is wrong. Yes, I am ignorant to the tire world. I specially asked him about the contact on the road how it showed on Tirerack and here that the recommended size wheel is 8"-9.5" for that tire. BTW it was Town Fair Tire I went to. He did say that they have a 30 day exchange program that if you don't like your tire you can exchange it for another tire minus the mount price. If it is dangerous than I will eat the mounting cost.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Replied to you by PM. There is NO WAY you should eat the mounting cost if they recommended that setup. Talk to the manager and be firm. Go with 225/40R18 on those 7.5s. Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ya if he suggested it, dont eat it man. Guys i just ordered a set of Kuhmo 225/45/18's for my 06 6s. It has the factory 18's on it. Has any one had any rubbing problems from this size tire on the factory 18" wheel ? the tire guy is a friend of mine, he said if i dont like them we will send them back till i get what i want :D

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
81 - 100 of 304 Posts
About this Discussion
303 Replies
146 Participants
mozz
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing