Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 304 Posts

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
Remember Toyoguy, it's ALL about the LOOK!!

Safety, handling, noise, traction, durabilty, speedometer/odometer accuracy... F*ck all that! :sarc:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by Mz6GreyGhost@Aug 18 2005, 12:05 PM
Remember Toyoguy, it's ALL about the LOOK!!

Safety, handling, noise, traction, durabilty, speedometer/odometer accuracy...  F*ck all that! :sarc:
[snapback]487455[/snapback]​
Word!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Can anyone tell me i can mount a 17' wheel with an ET of 35 - the offset - with a 215/45/17 tire or 225/45/17 tire. Thanks.
Does anyone knows or has on the m6 the TSW RIB wheels??

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Originally posted by ezeQuel@Sep 27 2005, 07:46 AM
Can anyone tell me i can mount a 17' wheel with an ET of 35 - the offset - with a 215/45/17 tire or 225/45/17 tire. Thanks.
Does anyone knows or has on the m6 the TSW RIB wheels??
[snapback]518724[/snapback]​
I'd hazard a guess that an 35 offset is just too low for the 6, even with 17's.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's too small of a tire. 245/50R16 would be better, as long as the wheel is at least 7 inches wide. But it's probably going to rub on either the fender or suspension.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Nice list.

225/45/18 also seems to not fit in the rear (according to a recent thread), though 225/40/18 fits rather easily. Those examples are all on +48mm offset wheels, an otherwise very usable offset. I'm sure there are many other sizes on the 'omit' list too.

[/b]
I have 225/45/18's on my wagom with ASA's AR-1's wheels 52mm offset, no rubbing at all!

·
Registered
151 Posts
quik question, do you think i would have to roll my fenders rx8 16's and tires with 235 width? same question for 225 width

·
Registered
151 Posts
ok no one answered my last question thats kool :D here's another, can the stock lug fit with rx-8 16's? please answer :bowdown:

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
quik question, do you think i would have to roll my fenders rx8 16's and tires with 235 width? same question for 225 width
[/b]
Are you lowered? What type of tyres (R-comp/street?)? Regardless, I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you will rub if you're lowered, and most more than likely not if you're not lowered - although it will look kind of funny... (Big car, tiny rims, huge fender gap).

ok no one answered my last question thats kool :D here's another, can the stock lug fit with rx-8 16's? please answer :bowdown:
[/b]
Yes, the stock lugs will fit.

·
Registered
151 Posts
thanks banghatch for the reply, i'm not lowered yet but i think i'll go with 225's in front instead. i plan on lowering the car in a couple of months, plus i plan on staggering the tire's 225 in front 215 in the rear. in theory it should help undo some of the understeer :D

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have a question. I am going after market wheels and tires now.... I have chosen my wheel, Kazera KZ-V, offset +50, but I havent chosen the size. It comes in 17x7 and 18x7......

If I ran 17x7 with a 225/45/17 tire, then my tire would be roughly .5 inches smaller in diameter than my stock tires (215/50/17 on a 17x7 rim). This would result in a 1/4 inch larger wheel gap, correct?

If I ran 18x7, should I use a 225/45/18 or 225/40/18? I have seen guys on here running both sizes. The 225/45/18 puts me .4 inches larger diameter than stock and would therefore result in the wheel gap lowering .2 inches?

The 225/40/18 would put me .4 inches smaller than stock and would result in a wheel gap of .2 inches greater? Also, because its a 7 inch rim, I would get more of a bulge with the 225/40..... so Im assuming that is one of the reasons why you reccomend a wider rim with the 225/40 tire.

Therefore, what would be "better" in terms of mounting the proper size tire on the proper size rim, having the least sidewall bluge, and not changing the wheel gap as much, a 225/45/17 or a 225/45/18?

I have been leaning towards the 225/45/18s.....

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If I ran 17x7 with a 225/45/17 tire, then my tire would be roughly .5 inches smaller in diameter than my stock tires (215/50/17 on a 17x7 rim). This would result in a 1/4 inch larger wheel gap, correct?
[/b]
Correct.

If I ran 18x7, should I use a 225/45/18 or 225/40/18? I have seen guys on here running both sizes. The 225/45/18 puts me .4 inches larger diameter than stock and would therefore result in the wheel gap lowering .2 inches?
[/b]
Correct regarding the wheel gap, but if you go 18x7 then you have to use 225/45R18. 225/40R18 requires at least a 7.5 inch wide wheel.

Therefore, what would be "better" in terms of mounting the proper size tire on the proper size rim, having the least sidewall bluge, and not changing the wheel gap as much, a 225/45/17 or a 225/45/18?
[/b]
In these low profile sizes, you have very little sidewall bulge to begin with, but the 18 will have less bulge because it is a shorter sidewall. The 17 will have a slightly larger wheel gap and the 18 will have a slightly smaller gap, but it will be difficult for you to notice this to the casual eye. Is this appearance your only criteria for choosing 17 vs. 18? There are a lot more important performance characteristics to consider when choosing a size...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
interesting.

im running 225/55 on my 16x7 stockies at the moment. im looking to get either the FD3S RX7 (16x8) wheels or the RX8 16s (16x7.5)

are the 16x7.5 wheels the sweet spot for performance/comfort? i dont want to lose too much sidewall by going to 16x8...
[/b]
You're not going to lose any sidewall by going to a wider wheel. Since the 225/55R16 can fit on a 6.0-8.0 inch wheel, the 7.0 is going to give you the middle ground between ride comfort and handling. The 7.5 will decrease ride comfort slightly and increase handling slightly.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
In these low profile sizes, you have very little sidewall bulge to begin with, but the 18 will have less bulge because it is a shorter sidewall. The 17 will have a slightly larger wheel gap and the 18 will have a slightly smaller gap, but it will be difficult for you to notice this to the casual eye. Is this appearance your only criteria for choosing 17 vs. 18? There are a lot more important performance characteristics to consider when choosing a size...
[/b]
There are a handful of things I am considering, but I wanted to clear up what I speculated on the fender gap. I wanted to go to a lighter weight wheel and run a 225 series tire. The 17x7's weigh 17.2 lbs and the 18x7's weigh 18.5 lbs, so both are a good weight loss compared to stock.

I wanted a wider tire than stock, so Im going 225. I wasnt planning on rolling the fenders, so I tried to get a wheel with the offset around 50 and I wanted a lighter weight rim and I liked the look of the KZ-V's so it was a perfect match. Plus, they dont cost an arm and a leg.

I plan on using an all season tire, so its either going to be the Toyo Proxes4, Avon Tech M55 A/S, or Continental Contiextreme Contacts. All are within 20 bucks each of each other but im leaning towards the Proxes or Techs...

I cant decide between the 17x7s or the 18x7s........ im slightly leaning towards the 17s because even though they increase the fender gap slightly and would have more of a sidewall bulge, the tires alone would be 100 bucks cheaper for the set and the rims would be 100 bucks cheaper for the set and the 17 combo would weigh much less.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I would like to use the current 235/40/18 tires that I have sitting around the house. I noticed that in the first post that i should use an 8 inch wide wheel. Is there any way a 7.5 inch wide wheel would work? I like the Koseis and they are 7.5 inches wide (reason for asking). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I would like to use the current 235/40/18 tires that I have sitting around the house. I noticed that in the first post that i should use an 8 inch wide wheel. Is there any way a 7.5 inch wide wheel would work? I like the Koseis and they are 7.5 inches wide (reason for asking). Thanks in advance.
[/b]
Let's put it this way. Sure, you could squeeze that tire onto a 7.5 inch wheel, but the result is the tire will not be positioned at a proper angle. Therefore, the area just above the bead (on the sidewalls) will crack (due to excessive stess in that area), and the center of the tire will wear out very quickly due to the increased pressure in the center of the contact patch. So, the short answer is no, it's not recommended.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
[/b]
Negatory. You need to find a 18x8 wheel to put them on.

21 - 40 of 304 Posts
About this Discussion
303 Replies
146 Participants
mozz
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing