Mazda 6 Forums banner
281 - 300 of 304 Posts
I literally just purchased the wheels so I wont have them for atleast a week

changing my tire size

Hello.I am new to the site. I have read the post on tire sizes. However. I would like to change the tires that came on my car from 225/40/18 to a 225/45/18. Can I do this without modifying my fenders? I have a 2005 mazda 6s. Thank you for your help in advance.

Hello, I just bought a 2005 Mazda 6. It has the stock 17" wheels with 215-50-17 tires. I am due for new tires and want to keep the stock wheels but was wondering what size tire would give the best handling. Thanks! Brenda:)

I have a problem with aftermarket 17's I have on my 1st gen 6, I have P225-45-R17's on there and if I go over a bump the wrong way, even on a straight stretch, the back wheels are shearing rubber off where the sidewall meets the tread and tearing up the inner quarterpanel... the front has been fine so far... Are these tires not recommended or should i look at possibly faulty shocks in the rear? It seems predominantly in the rear right but is visible on the rear left.

Also if it's relevant, the tires are a full set of Continental ContiPro's and the rims are a either an 8 or 8.5 inch wheel base, I believe it's 8.5

I have a problem with aftermarket 17's I have on my 1st gen 6, I have P225-45-R17's on there and if I go over a bump the wrong way, even on a straight stretch, the back wheels are shearing rubber off where the sidewall meets the tread and tearing up the inner quarterpanel... the front has been fine so far... Are these tires not recommended or should i look at possibly faulty shocks in the rear? It seems predominantly in the rear right but is visible on the rear left.

Also if it's relevant, the tires are a full set of Continental ContiPro's and the rims are a either an 8 or 8.5 inch wheel base, I believe it's 8.5
Yeah it sounds like you just need to roll your rear fenders. It's a very quick and easy process and will completely eliminate the issue you are having as long as they are rolled all the way down to the bottom of the side skirt, close to where you are getting rubbing when the suspension compresses.

Without the rear fenders rolled, the tolerance for any non oem spec wheel is tight and more or less hit or miss wether you will rub or not.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

I watched this video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZEgi-Fa6Hw

Does it seem like a smart way to do it? The front doesn't need to be rolled, it's just the rear.

Thanks again!
Please do not roll your fenders with a bat, and especially not without a heat gun, preferably infrared. You can and most likely will crack your paint as you roll the fender edge, and you can even end up with fenders that look like lays wavy chips.

Just pay the $50-$100 bucks a shop charges and get it done right the first time so there isn't a second time. You only need your rears rolled, but it won't hurt to roll the fronts too if there is some kind of discount or savings on all 4 fenders. Especially if you plan on lowering the car at all in the future.

Make sure you get them rolled completely flat, all the way down to the side skirt. This area is the most important (from the 12 o'clock position to the 2/2:30 position is where the wheel will make contact when the suspension compresses).

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: DragonLord3688
Hey I just bought some HD Tuning 18" Rims 225/45/18 and the rear rubs but only when I have weight in the car. I have replaced the shock absorbers and put adjustable spring locks on the rear and put them almost all the way out and it still rubs if there is weight in the rear of the car. Is there anything else I can do or is rolling the fenders pretty much my only option at this point? If so about how much does that cost? Im in the Richmond, VA area.

Been reading through this thread and found lots of good information. Bought my daughter a 2005 Mazda6 S last year. Going to put tires on it before winter, and now starting to shop. The car looks like it has stock rims, but they are 17". The placard inside the door has the standard tire size as 205/60 16. The tires on the car when we bought it last year are 235/45 17.

Been trying to research it, and it looks as if the optional 17" wheels were used, the size that came standard was 215/50 17. Is this correct?

Other than the cosmetic appeal of the low profile tire, are there any reasons NOT to switch back to the standard 215/50 17? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Other than the cosmetic appeal of the low profile tire, are there any reasons NOT to switch back to the standard 215/50 17? Thanks in advance for your opinions.
If you go higher profile, you'll get a little better ride but lose a little handling. So it depends on if you want comfort over grip. If you want grip, stay low profile with the wider tread. If you want comfort, go high profile with the narrower tread.

No. Not particularly.

Yes, the width of the tread will be narrower, but with most tire brands, you're talking less than an inch difference.

Other than that, there shouldn't be any issue.

281 - 300 of 304 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.