Mazda 6 Forums banner
261 - 280 of 304 Posts
This list has been thoroughly researched. If you don't see a size listed here (ie 215/45R17), then it is not recommended for the US-spec 6.

17" (original equipment wheel is 17x7)

215/50R17 6.0"-7.5" 32 psi (93+ load index), 33 psi (91 load index) *original equipment size*
225/45R17 7.0"-8.5" 35 psi
225/50R17 6.0"-8.0" 32 psi
235/45R17 7.5"-9.0" 32 psi
245/45R17 7.5"-9.0" 32 psi

NOTE: Section widths of 235 and above will probably require fender rolling. Check the offset of your wheels carefully before purchasing replacement tires. I was going to also include the overall diameter for each tire, but this can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer by .1-.2". Suffice to say that these tires fall within the "-2%, +3%" rule, meaning they are not more than 2% smaller or 3% larger than the original equipment tires, which have an overall diameter of 25.5 inches.

TAKE NOTE: When selecting replacement wheels and tires, the relationship of the wheel width to tire section width is very important! For maximum handling benefit, mount the tire on the widest wheel that size will allow. Mounting a tire on the narrowest width allowed will give better ride comfort, but won't give the best handling. In many cases, handling may be worse than before by mounting a wider tire on a narrow rim (ie. 235/40R18 on an 8 inch wide wheel vs. 215/45R18 on an 8 inch). Installing wider tires on your 6 will likely yield a handling improvement only if you have a wheel wide enough to take advantage of the extra tire width.
Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the 27 pages of this thread, but I was wondering if somebody could tell me exactly why 215/45R17 is not recommended. I see a good deal on Craigslist for a set of snow tires this size. I thought they would work being only slightly smaller. :confused:

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the 27 pages of this thread, but I was wondering if somebody could tell me exactly why 215/45R17 is not recommended. I see a good deal on Craigslist for a set of snow tires this size. I thought they would work being only slightly smaller. :confused:
The 215/45s are above the 3% difference from the OEM size. Basically, when your speedo says you're doing 60 MPH, you're actually doing 58. That may seem well to keep you from getting a speeding ticket, but you'll also get inaccurate odometer readings as well.

Reactions: Sean486
I have these on my 6 and they have held up for about a year and a half, but the ride is a bit on the rough side (they weren't very expensive tires to begin with) but if you go to any tire place, some will tell you that they will not install that size on our stock wheel. That is below the required load index rating and may be more prone to a blow-out while driving.

can i run 245/45r18's with a 7.5inch rim and +42 offset? i hope someone chimes in beacsue im going to pickup the tires today hopefully

can i run 245/45r18's with a 7.5inch rim and +42 offset? i hope someone chimes in beacsue im going to pickup the tires today hopefully
That should be fine. If your lowered or have a heavy load in the back you might experience a slight rub but nothing extreme.
I ran a 18x8 with 245/40/18 with +35 and it rubbed when I had a heavy load but not always. So those shouldn't be a problem worst comes to worst roll the fenders and its an easy fix.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

That should be fine. If your lowered or have a heavy load in the back you might experience a slight rub but nothing extreme.
I ran a 18x8 with 245/40/18 with +35 and it rubbed when I had a heavy load but not always. So those shouldn't be a problem worst comes to worst roll the fenders and its an easy fix.

awesome, no lowering, infact i just stiffend the rear end and lifted it to compensate for spring sage, thanks

nevermind deal fell through all the guy has is 235/55/18's and im really sure that 55's will scrap like crazy

Searching this old thread for info on using 18"
RX 8 (not sure which years they all looked same)
wheels on my 2006 6i.

and the recommended (Toyo Proxies4) size ??????

Ive used the search functionbut just havent entered correct word(s) to find info
on using OEM 18" RX8 wheels. Thanks

I have a 2006 Mazda 6 with 225/45R/18 tires on stock 18" rims.

I am wanting to lower the car a little to improve the rake and get some aftermarket wheels. The spring kit I have found is the H&R Mazdaspeed 6 lowering springs.

Will this kit cause my size wheels to rub? What offset should I be looking at?

What is fender rolling and how much does it cost to get it done? (sorry, noob here)

how is the tyre size 215/45zr17 91wxl ?? is it good can it create any problems? like bumpy rides.
That would be a little small in diameter. You will notice it once intalled. And your speedometer will yun faster than you car. ie: 45mph on your speedometer but your really going 40mph.

That would be a little small in diameter. You will notice it once intalled. And your speedometer will yun faster than you car. ie: 45mph on your speedometer but your really going 40mph.

Wow that is so true. I actually installed the tyres 6 months back and whatever you have suggested has happened. The space between tyre and fender had increased and i always felt slower than speedometer. Thinking of taking them off now. I am also having suspension problems, Any suggested tyre size ? 215/50r/17 is good?

Wow that is so true. I actually installed the tyres 6 months back and whatever you have suggested has happened. The space between tyre and fender had increased and i always felt slower than speedometer. Thinking of taking them off now. I am also having suspension problems, Any suggested tyre size ? 215/50r/17 is good?
Yeah, 215/50 is the original size but you can go 225/50 with no problem.

Needing info

I just purchased my first Mazda6i and it has 215/55/17's on it and I am wondering if I can put 16" rims and tires on for winter as it will save me big $$$. The are 16" on a I sport model will these fit on mine. ???????

I just purchased my first Mazda6i and it has 215/55/17's on it and I am wondering if I can put 16" rims and tires on for winter as it will save me big $$$. The are 16" on a I sport model will these fit on mine. ???????
Its not rim size that causes problems, its the offsets, widths and tire sizes.

Tire Handling Characteristics Based On Size

18" (original equipment wheel is 18x7)

225/40R18 7.5"-9.0" 38 psi
225/45R18 7.0"-8.5" 38 psi

TAKE NOTE: When selecting replacement wheels and tires, the relationship of the wheel width to tire section width is very important! For maximum handling benefit, mount the tire on the widest wheel that size will allow. Mounting a tire on the narrowest width allowed will give better ride comfort, but won't give the best handling. In many cases, handling may be worse than before by mounting a wider tire on a narrow rim (ie. 235/40R18 on an 8 inch wide wheel vs. 215/45R18 on an 8 inch). Installing wider tires on your 6 will likely yield a handling improvement only if you have a wheel wide enough to take advantage of the extra tire width.
Question: With regards to the original helpful post, if I'm planning on fitting 18x7.5 +48 offset wheels on my Speed6, then will the 225/45R18 tires handle better than the 225/40R18 tires since the 40 aspect ratio tires are closer to their required minimum rim width?
Or does anyone know what the differences in handling would be?

My suspension is stock and I'm not planning on rolling my fenders, hence the choices above. I'm looking to buy some summer tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Bridgestone S-04s current choices) since I bought a winter set couple months ago and put them on my stock wheels. (Side note: very satisfied, especially this winter in Chicago)

Also, the wheels I would like to buy are Enkei's RP03. I searched on Tire Rack but they did not list them as acceptable and after a call they mentioned the secondary bore doesn't work. On their specs the bore diameter is 75 mm. Since the MS6's is 67.1 mm, can't I still fit them with bore shims of some sort? Is that dangerous or not recommended with aggressive driving?

Thanks for the help

Just pulled the trigger on my wheels. On 2014 the setup is 19x7.5 et50 225/45/19. I purchased 19x9.5 et30. I am lowered with less than a finger gap. My only question would be what tire size should I go with and will be safe. Even tho the streched look is sick; I cant go that route. I was thinking 245/40. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

261 - 280 of 304 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.