Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all these game consoles, video, and tv going HD and such, I really want to buy a HDTV. Thing is, the way I want to setup my room, the HDTV would act as a TV/Monitor, and it would actually stand next to my iMac. I plan on buying a PowerPC in the future, so I would also most likely use the HDTV as a monitor for it.

But there is a dilemma... These are the ways I want to approach my "problem."

1) Buy a HDTV LCD. I have my eye on a 32" Samsung HDTV. I can use it for anything - TV, Gaming (once the PS3 comes), PC monitor, etc.

2) Buy a LCD monitor. I am looking at a Dell 30" LCD monitor. With all these TV tuner cards, I can easily use it as a monitor/TV, too.

But the real problem is...

The Samsung is a HDTV, meaning it is meant to be used as a TV, with its secondary function as a monitor. It costs much less than a 30" LCD, and it is 2" bigger. The price difference between the Samsung and the Dell is a whopping $700 and there is one big con with the Dell LCD monitor: No HDMI inputs. Since there are no TV Tuner cards that I know of that are also HDTV tuners and have HDMI inputs, I cannot watch nor play video games at its highest quality. It is supposed to be a monitor and not a TV. The HDTV LCD will be in a position to be used as a functional monitor, but the maximum resolution is way too small for me to be used as a monitor when it comes down to working with hi-resolution imagery and websites. Also, some people have recommended AGAINST HDTV LCDs, which is really bad for me because I really don't need - nor do I have the space for - any HDTVs above 32". And since they don't make any Plasma HDTV that are smaller than 42" I believe, I am SOL. And no, a Flat-tube HDTV is not an option.

Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I was going to get one of those once myself then I started reading that you don't want to use it for every day tv watching. only for movies and special things otherwise you will go through bulbs really fast which cost in the hundreds to replace...or something...I still want one though even if I can't use it as a permanent television but just for sporting events. have a big BBQ at night get one of the UFC events set up the screen outside to it's full size and grill, enjoy the outdoors summer and watch the fights on 110 inches of TV lol...

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not pay less to get an 80-110" screen?

The Infocus Screenplay 5000 is cheap, high-def, bright enough for daytime, and gorgeous.
http://store.infocus.com/escalate/store/De...banner_sp5000re
[/b]
I thought about that. But I would opt for an even higher-end model. But the way my room is going to be setup (as soon as I get rid of my old oversized couch and get a smaller one), the couch would be adjacent to the screen because I would get a pull down screen and put it over where my window is to reduce as much outside light as possible for best picture quality. Plus, I really want to utilize the full power of HDMI. Plus, for the price of the Samsung HDTV, it would cost as much to get the projector, screen, and monitor for the new PC.

Is that your living room? Looks really nice.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
The SP5000 costs $900 (refurbished), and that comes with a screen. (I think they still have that promo.) That's pretty hard to beat. I actually traded another projector for the SP5000 and think it's great; I have no desire for a higher-end model. Just make sure you have an upscaling DVD player.

In regards to daytime viewing, livability, etc, I can sum that up with one statement: even my wife likes the projector.

It is our main TV, and yes, that's our living room pictured above (thanks for the compliment). It's fine in the daytime, even if it looks much better at night. We usually watch TV with lights on. The best way to reduce ambient light (and improve the look of a room) is simply to paint it something darker than white. Our room is just a light tan (still has a white ceiling), but it made a world of difference.

Bulbs last 2000 hours in this model and 4000 hours in other models. At 3 hours a day, that's 2-4 years per bulb- quite a long time. We certainly don't watch 3 hours of TV a day though. Figuring in another bulb, our total cost will be $1350 for 6-8 years of usage.

I think a projector makes a great everyday TV, but just make sure you pick a bright one. My last one was not bright enough, and critisism towards it as an everyday TV was definatly warranted.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The SP5000 costs $900 (refurbished), and that comes with a screen. (I think they still have that promo.) That's pretty hard to beat. I actually traded another projector for the SP5000 and think it's great; I have no desire for a higher-end model. Just make sure you have an upscaling DVD player.

In regards to daytime viewing, etc, I can sum that up with one statement: even my wife likes the projector.

It is our main TV, and yes, that's our living room pictured above (thanks for the compliment). It's fine in the daytime, even if it looks much better at night. Bulbs last 2000 hours in this model and 4000 hours in other models. At 3 hours a day, that's 2-4 years per bulb- quite a long time. We certainly don't watch 3 hours of TV a day though. Figuring in another bulb, our total cost will be $1350 for 6-8 years of usage.
[/b]
Well, I watch a lot of television shows. Although I am not sure about 3 hours... Maybe if I watch a game and a couple of tv shows a day. I don't know, I have thought about a projector for a long time, but I reaaaaaaaaaaally want HDMI. lol.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Well, I watch a lot of television shows. Although I am not sure about 3 hours... Maybe if I watch a game and a couple of tv shows a day. I don't know, I have thought about a projector for a long time, but I reaaaaaaaaaaally want HDMI. lol.
[/b]
...?

It has DVI with HDCP. HDMI is just DVI with audio, but since you won't be using the projector for audio, that part doesn't matter. You can get an HDMI->DVI adaptor for $10; it's nothing fancy.

Anyway, I don't want to take your thread too far off-topic... go ahead and discuss tiny LCD screens now. :p

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...?

It has DVI with HDCP. HDMI is just DVI with audio, but since you won't be using the projector for audio, that part doesn't matter. You can get an HDMI->DVI adaptor for $10; it's nothing fancy.

Anyway, I don't want to take your thread too far off-topic... go ahead and discuss tiny LCD screens now. :p
[/b]
Really? Actually, it is nowhere near off-topic. I asked for suggestions, and you gave me one. Eventhough I did not post it in my first post, a projector has been a serious option for me for a LONG time now. If I can get HDMI > DVI adaptor, I just will opt out for a projector instead.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Really? Actually, it is nowhere near off-topic. I asked for suggestions, and you gave me one. Eventhough I did not post it in my first post, a projector has been a serious option for me for a LONG time now. If I can get HDMI > DVI adaptor, I just will opt out for a projector instead.
[/b]
Yeah: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007MWE1...8&s=electronics

or: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NXCO...8&s=electronics

HDMI = DVI + audio + some other control stuff that nobody uses yet. But for a projector, you only really care about the DVI portion.

BTW- if you want to spend more, I think the projector to get is still the Epson PowerLite Cinema 550. I may not be up to date on "the model to have" anymore though.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I come home around 6 or 7 and if I don't hav eto go out and take photos or it's crappy I sit ad watch tv till about 10pm when I go to bed for work the next day lol usually just watch tv enough to watch CSI or Law and Order and The simpsons....The office too..

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Alrighty, I've had multiple setups at my house and I was looking for exactly what you're trying to get at. Here are the upsides and downsides to every option I've tried.

Projector: I had a high end projector with a 96" screen. Only upside to it was the picture was big, it wasn't super bright, or in the most confortable position or of the best quality.

Sony 50" Projection LCD: Better than the projector, but couldn't be used as a monitor effectively.

Vizion 50" Plasma (still own): The picture is very clear, clean and bright. I have the pc running at a huge resolution and the picture is VERY VERY crisp. Only downside is some minor burn-in which the TV has a function that clears it.

Vizion 37" LCD (still own): Same as above, except without burn-in....I think this would be the PERFECT solution for you. Head down to Costco and pick one up!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Isn't the HDMI or DVI input going to be used to carry encrypted info on it using HDCP to decode it? So if HBO or Showtime, or really any network begin to encrypt their shows/ events, you'll want these connections.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I think we need to know more about the viewing environment to advise further.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I think we need to know more about the viewing environment to advise further.
[/b]
good point...room brightness and viewing times used to (don't know w/ today's much brighter projectors) to wash out colors.

one other thing...some projectors use DLP's...does anyone see rainbows? I don't see them, but a friend of mine does when the scene is really bright. I think some projectors use lcd's though...can anyone talk about the pro's and con's of these different types of projectors?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
8 Participants
lethal6i
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing