Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all. I am in the market for a fully-loaded 2003 Mazda6 s. I have been able to test drive a Mazda6 i with the V6 however.

Anyone from the Chicagoland / Northwest Indiana area on the boards here who has some kinda experience (good or bad) with any local dealerships? I went to Kennedy Buick Mazda in Valpo and was less than thrilled with the salesman...the dealership was not at all busy and yet this guy didn't seem like he wanted to sell a car--maybe cuz he didn't have exactly what I was looking for...and I had to talk turkey up front and give a deposit for him to do a dealer search?!?!

Speaking of,...am I gonna be able to deal on this car at all--brand new model, lot of fanfare, limited supply, orders, down payments to hold, no incentives at all, etc. Any thoughts would be much appreciated (I have Invoice data from Edmunds and Cars.com, but I dunno if it will do me any good).

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: Chicagoland / Northwest Indiana area

I was at Kennedy. Who did you speak with?
Last time I was there they had a lapis blue V6, manual, sport. It didn't feel right for some reason and it had some buffing done to the paint and it doesn't look too good. I don't know if it was done by the dealer or by the build plant, but the buffing was on the drivers rear quarter just behind the rear door, along the side.

There were supposed to get a dark greay V6, manual, sport but I don't know if they did.
I didn't like the way that particular 6 felt so I passed. I'm picky with things like that. If I don't have a good feeling during the test drive I don't bother thinking "it'll get fixed." I've learned my lesson a few times. :)

I'm not sure who I worked with but there is a dealer in Olympia Fields (Mazda). They were cool and let me drive anything I wanted but they didn't have what I wanted either.
Shaver Mazda in Highland/Munster are decent. I don't much care for their sales manager (if it's the same guy as last year) but the other people seem nice. They had a good selection of automatics, mostly i4's. No V6, manuals, sport when I looked about 3 weeks ago.

Tome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'Chicagoland / Northwest Indiana area'

Originally posted by M-006

I was at Kennedy.  Who did you speak with?
Last time I was there they had a lapis blue V6, manual, sport.   It didn't feel right for some reason and it had some buffing done to the paint and it doesn't look too good.  I don't know if it was done by the dealer or by the build plant, but the buffing was on the drivers rear quarter just behind the rear door, along the side.

There were supposed to get a dark greay V6, manual, sport but I don't know if they did.
I didn't like the way that particular 6 felt so I passed.   I'm picky with things like that.  If I don't have a good feeling during the test drive I don't bother thinking "it'll get fixed."  I've learned my lesson a few times.  :)

I'm not sure who I worked with but there is a dealer in Olympia Fields (Mazda).  They were cool and let me drive anything I wanted but they didn't have what I wanted either.
Shaver Mazda in Highland/Munster are decent.  I don't much care for their sales manager (if it's the same guy as last year) but the other people seem nice.   They had a good selection of automatics, mostly i4's.   No V6, manuals, sport when I looked about 3 weeks ago.

Tome[/b]
Tome, thanks. Yeah, the guys name was Richard at Kennedy. Nice guy, lemme test drive the V6 i, no questions asked (didn't even ask for my license) and lemme take it by myself. But he just wasn't a very strong salesman...and not even in a good, layed-back kinda way either. Oh well. They didn't have what I wanted...incidently, Harold Mazda in Olympia Fields, IL does! Their Internet Sales Manager contacted me and asked me to check out their Web site with its up-to-date dealer inventory. Real nice so far. I am going over to Shaver tonight to speak with the Mazda Sales Manager, Tony (a Polish -ski last name I think). I dunno, going over ther to discuss two Glacier Silver Mazda6 s models that are suppossed to arrive there soon. I dunno--and they want a down payment. I am interested to hear what they have to say and what they can provide me in terms of detailed specs on these vehicles that are suppossedly on their way. But I am have not been very encouraged by what I have heard leading up to tonight.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I'm north of Chicago, I bought a 6s for $100 above invoice at Liberty Mazda (Jeep etc) in Libertyville. Best car buying experience I've ever had (no pressure...jumped right to the bottom line price).

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Originally posted by Robb1251

I'm north of Chicago, I bought a 6s for $100 above invoice at Liberty Mazda (Jeep etc) in Libertyville. Best car buying experience I've ever had (no pressure...jumped right to the bottom line price).

John[/b]
John, thanks. How long ago? Bought one from right off the lot? How did you do that? Get 'em down to invoice? Seems like it is gonna be tough with this one...I think I have haggled pretty well with past vehicle purchases, but this seems a little different--I mean, the hype/buzz, demand vs. minimal supply, down payments to reserve models, etc.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reading Topic: Chica

Tony is a younger guy, not the idiot to which I refer. Tony is Macedonian, like me, thus the Polish sounding name. All of us southeast Europeans have similar names. :)
Throw in a good work for me and tell him a fellow Macedonian named (toe-may) referred you.
He may nor may not remember me.

Yeah, Richard is waaaaay laid back and sort of "nervous" almost. He seemed friendly the second time I went there. I like salesmen that aren't pushy. I did like taking the car by myself though.
Lots of competition around Chicago so I don't think price will be a problem, just keep yourself informed.
The V6, manual, sport models were undersupplied and dealers will take advantage wherever they can.
These cars are now rolling in after being sold out for a while due to Mazda's lack of proper future's planning, but it's been correct so the deales will try an take advantage of the "shortage". But, even the V6 models will be plentiful soon.

Good luck with the search.

Tome

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Originally posted by M-006

Tony is a younger guy, not the idiot to which I refer.  Tony is Macedonian, like me, thus the Polish sounding name.  All of us southeast Europeans have similar names.  :)    
Throw in a good work for me and tell him a fellow Macedonian named (toe-may) referred you.
He may nor may not remember me.

Yeah, Richard is waaaaay laid back and sort of "nervous" almost.  He seemed friendly the second time I went there.   I like salesmen that aren't pushy.   I did like taking the car by myself though.
Lots of competition around Chicago so I don't think price will be a problem, just keep yourself informed.
The V6, manual, sport models were undersupplied and dealers will take advantage wherever they can.
These cars are now rolling in after being sold out for a while due to Mazda's lack of proper future's planning, but it's been correct so the deales will try an take advantage of the "shortage".  But, even the V6 models will be plentiful soon.

Good luck with the search.

Tome[/b]
Tome, my Macedonian friend! Bless you! Thanks. I will be sure to drop your name and let Tony know that I spoke with you. We'll see about tonight. I am trying to go in with a positive attitude, but I am pretty sure I am walkin' out of there without a deal tonight. Kinda got my mind made up--cuz I know they are not gonna give me my price on a vehicle that isn't even there yet--I mean I don't even know if there iwll be a sticker to haggle over. I dunno. But good news as far as inventories are concerned. Richard over at Kennedy mentioned that they were getting 14 new Mazda6 models in, but couldn't go into details (didn't know when or what specs)...kinda weird. And the Sales person I spoke with over the phone (George Barron) mentioned that Tony said Shaver is getting 15 in in a week or so. We'll see. Thanks again! I will keep you posted! BTW, what did you end up scoring again? And at Shaver? If you are in Chicago, where do you take it for local service? I will be moving back to the city soon and need to look into that element of my purchase as well...Take care Tome.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Reading Topic: Chicagoland / Northwest Indiana area

try biggers in elgin, IL...it'll just be alil of a drive to you...no pressure...laid back guys...always have the largest allotment of cars to other chicago land dealerships...really cool guys..work well with pricing too..ask for andy higgins...tell him ed with the white 6 sent ya. he'll take care of ya...847 628-6000

·
Registered
5 Posts

Regarding Liberty Auto, I visited the lot in mid Jan., before I went I called the dealership and asked if they give a discount to employees at the company I work at (it's a big employer in the area). They said two percent over invoice. I went and drove a 6s automatic (they didn't have a s manual). I liked it, ordered it as a 6s with sport and CD upgrade. The salesman said one percent since I was ordering it. They estimated delivery in mid Feb......which is what happened. Nice easy deal. I think they do a big volume at the place. The salesman's name was Kevin Robinson.

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts