Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Got a strange noise which sounds like Chewbacca.
This weird uuuuuuu sound only starts when I start moving and goes away quick enough.
It only does the sound if the car was stationary for a longer period; for example, in the morning, if parked for 8hrs at work...etc....but not once it gets going and stops in traffic ( e.g traffic lights )

It does happen in all seasons but I think that it is a bit louder during winter time.

Mazda 6 - 2.2D, 156BHP, 2015

Anyone experienced the same?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a very strange sound, will try to record it.

It passed MOT a month ago with no issues at all and with all these new safety measures I forgot to mention it to the guys at the garage.

I wouldn’t be able to replicate it in there anyway as sound goes away quickly after I start driving and doesn’t come back until Is stationary for a while.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chewbacca sound

managed to record it but of course that this time it was shorter than usual:)

I’m thinking that this noise could be from the telescoping steering?

·
Registered
2016 6
455 Posts
Chewbacca sound

managed to record it but of course that this time it was shorter than usual:)

I’m thinking that this noise could be from the telescoping steering?
Well is that noise being caused by turning the steering wheel? If not then I don’t see how it could be the ESC (electronic steering control). Could be your brakes frozen to the rotors possibly? Not sure what the temps are where you’re located at but if it goes away after a short period of time that could be it since the brakes would get unstuck relatively quickly. I know most of the cx-9s and 5’s have an issue where the rear brake pad shims don’t stay contacted against the actual bracket that holds the pads so when it’s cold in the morning and you apply the brakes it will cause a squeal but it goes away once you drive a little bit, could be a similar situation. Check to see how greased your brakes are.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
London, UK
It happens all seasons...well, we mostly have 1 season all year in here but I do think I can hear it louder in Winter; tried with no steering turn and sound was there so I will exclude that.
I’ve changed discs and pads few months ago but the sound was before that, all was greased properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does your model year have a power steering pump? If so how's your power steering fluid level? Fluid ever been changed? If it's old or low it could be the pump making noise until it warms up a bit.

·
Registered
2016 6
455 Posts
Unfortunately we don't see many of the diesel engines here in the US so if it's a noise coming from the engine I can't really give any input. Hopefully you figure this out quickly and it doesn't end up being a huge headache.

·
Registered
2016 6
455 Posts
Does your model year have a power steering pump? If so how's your power steering fluid level? Fluid ever been changed? If it's old or low it could be the pump making noise until it warms up a bit.
No Mazda 6 after 2013 has a Power steering pump. All 3rd gen models switched to Electronic Power Steering (EPS).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, it is EPS.
Still cannot figure it out and I have to wait now until lockdown is over in UK to see other people for opinions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still no luck with this but I swear that I can "control the noise" with the clutch depending how fast or how much I depress it; hopefully there is nothing wrong with the gearbox but as far a I know all problems on that side start with a little noise and develop over time.

·
Registered
2016 6
455 Posts
If it seems like you can control the noise with the clutch the throw out bearing is thinking in the right direction, there was a tsb for the earlier model 3rd gens with MTX’s because I guess the 3rd and 4th synchros can break or chip but I definitely think this deserves to have a licensed mechanic or 2 test drive it.

·
Registered
355 Posts
TO bearing is where I was thinking, too. Maybe something as simple as the clutch pedal pivot?

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
TO bearing is where I was thinking, too. Maybe something as simple as the clutch pedal pivot?
I have had so many of these squeak/groan and generally just carry on conversation over the years.
I would imagine a pivot would do it with the engine off.

A gearbox issue would likely make a variable sound that matched the engine RPM (input side) or vary with road speed (output side), or with specific gears. Regardless, the sound would change with engine or road speed, not pedal action.

The throw-out bearing still means you are doing the clutch, as it would be insanity (well maybe not quite) to pull the whole thing apart and not do it while there.

Good luck mate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will continue to pursue the investigation so I can sleep in peace; I'm that guy who creates different inexistent scenarios in their head! :LOL:
I have to convince a mechanic to come to my house to start the car and drive it for a few secs to hear it otherwise it goes away by the time I get to a garage; the recorded sound doesn't help.

·
Registered
2016 6
455 Posts
I will continue to pursue the investigation so I can sleep in peace; I'm that guy who creates different inexistent scenarios in their head! :LOL:
I have to convince a mechanic to come to my house to start the car and drive it for a few secs to hear it otherwise it goes away by the time I get to a garage; the recorded sound doesn't help.
I understand everyone has different circumstances but I would suggest just leaving the car overnight at your shop of choice, I would also make sure it’s a shop with techs older than 30 so they actually know what a throw out bearing is lolololol.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is another option; my guy at the garage is 60+ so he should definitely know! :)
From what I know the bad release / throw-out bearing issues can be heard when stationary but on mine the chewbacca sound only comes when I start moving.

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
3,585 Posts
That is another option; my guy at the garage is 60+ so he should definitely know! :)
From what I know the bad release / throw-out bearing issues can be heard when stationary but on mine the chewbacca sound only comes when I start moving.
Unless of course he has lost enough hearing and can't pick it up anyhow.
I wonder if you pushed the car would it make the noise?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts