Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I started driving the car to a movie and the check engine light came on. I brought the car home and hooked up my scanner. Scanner can't read anything. When I say anything it says link error. If no codes are present it says no codes. Is there something I'm doing wrong. I tried with the key off, acc, and in the on position. Each time I get link error when trying to read. Took the scanner over to the altima and it said no codes present. Did mazda change something with the OBD2 on this car? Any other ideas?

I'm about 15 miles from the nearest mazda dealership and it's rather difficult to get the car in with my schedule. Car has 2K miles on it and still runs fine. I'm guessing it's an O2 sensor or something as the car still runs fine. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
So last night I started driving the car to a movie and the check engine light came on. I brought the car home and hooked up my scanner. Scanner can't read anything. When I say anything it says link error. If no codes are present it says no codes. Is there something I'm doing wrong. I tried with the key off, acc, and in the on position. Each time I get link error when trying to read. Took the scanner over to the altima and it said no codes present. Did mazda change something with the OBD2 on this car? Any other ideas?

I'm about 15 miles from the nearest mazda dealership and it's rather difficult to get the car in with my schedule. Car has 2K miles on it and still runs fine. I'm guessing it's an O2 sensor or something as the car still runs fine. Any help is appreciated.
[/b]

The mazdaspeed 6 uses the CAN system, you will have to have a CAN capable scanner to read any codes.

·
Registered
275 Posts

[/b]
Which code scanner are you using?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Actron CP9135 OBDII Autoscanner. It's says for anything 96 and newer. What is the CAN system? Something new I take it.

·
Registered
595 Posts
and for those that go to autozone to get scanned, they dont have a clue either what scanner is needed. My evap canister went bad, and I got a check engine light also. They couldnt read it there - no problem at the dealer though.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks for the help. I will probably have to update my scanner or buy a new one. Does the auto enginuity one work on all cars?

·
Registered
477 Posts
yup, can is a new thing from mazda/ford. No body else uses it. The scanner must specifically say can compatible
[/b]
CAN is actually on most 2004 and newer cars. All the Nissan's now use it too. In 2008, its mandatory that all cars go to the CAN setup. You need a CAN bus scanner like the AutoEnginuity. Mine reads the MS6 just fine.

I too have a check engine light. Its giving me an EVAP code, so I ordered a new gas cap. It that's not it, its off to the dealer.

·
Registered
595 Posts
dealer replaced my canister, no check engine light now

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the code was for the evap purge solenoid. Apparently they are on national back order so they said they would call me when they recieve them in.

·
Registered
829 Posts
So the code was for the evap purge solenoid. Apparently they are on national back order so they said they would call me when they recieve them in.
[/b]
Yeah, I got that too. They replaced the valve, the light went away for a week, but then came back. After that, they replaced the solenoid and everything else, then did something else to it and it finally went away.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
Alan
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing