Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My check Engine light has been coming on and off for about a year now. I have taken it into Mazda to get it checked out, they cleared it and said it was nothing. So about 4 months later it came back. I took it a shop instead of a dealer and the code came up as a small fuel leak, they did there thing and told me it was nothing and that it was probably the gas cap not being tightened. So I went on my way. Now about two weeks ago I go to get an emmisions test done on my 6, and on the way there the light comes back, and because of the light being on the car failed the test. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their 6? And how can I prevent this? Is there a recall for it or anything?

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
My check Engine light has been coming on and off for about a year now. I have taken it into Mazda to get it checked out, they cleared it and said it was nothing. So about 4 months later it came back. I took it a shop instead of a dealer and the code came up as a small fuel leak, they did there thing and told me it was nothing and that it was probably the gas cap not being tightened. So I went on my way. Now about two weeks ago I go to get an emmisions test done on my 6, and on the way there the light comes back, and because of the light being on the car failed the test. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their 6? And how can I prevent this? Is there a recall for it or anything?
[/b]
Did you get your emissions done at the dealer? If you had and the CEL had come on, they could diagnose the issue then. But if you went to a local mechanic, then, I guess back to the dealer. I recently had my CEL come on and it was because of the stupid gas cap. But driving to NJ and back cleared it right up. You may need to take your car in whenever you do get a CEL and you know it isnt the gas cap. Does the car drive any differently? Does the car shudder? Many things can cause a CEL. Even an electrical issue can trip it from what I have heard.

Well the only thing I can tell you is to spend $150 at the GB with Falcon/RPMStore and get that 3 in 1 scanning tool and you can report the specific code when you bring it in to the dealer.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
[/b]

I had the same issue with my Mazda Speed 6 which i have had for 2 months. The dealer told me is ti s common problem with Mazda's in general. The first time it happed after i filled the car with gas. They said i had not turned the fuel cap enough around, they recommend rotating it atleast 3 times until you hear the cliking. They then said it will reset itself after 30 starts. 2 weeks later and it had still not reset. They hooked it the computer and run some tests which all passed. They cleared the light and sent me on my way. Month later after filling the tank 2 days later got the engine light again. And this tiem i made sure the fuel cap had been turned a nuber of times. Had booked into the dealer to get checked and the light reset itself on the day of dealer appoinment. Not sure what is going on but will need to keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You know how to fix that?

Just put a piece of black tape over the light......

J/K and if it's a common problem Mazda better be working on a fix for it, because a service person telling your it's a "common problem" is not good. I sure know I don't want to have to visit my stealership once every 4 months to reset a CEL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts