Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my 6S last night and the CEL came on as I was backing into my driveway. When I started her up today, the light was off. It was dark last night, so I didn't check the EGR hose conection....I'll have to do that at lunch today.

I wonder if the hose would be causing the problem. I would think that's a problem that wouldn't remedy itself. I hope it's not a software problem like some others have had.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to Topic 'Stupid CEL'

I checked the hose and it's attached firmly. It looks exactly like the one HERE so I think it's the replacement. I have an appointment to take it in on Monday. The service guy said it's usually emissions related and it won't cause any problems since the car is running fine. If the light starts flashing, I've got a problem.

Ive been reading all the posts and there seem to be a few V6's that have this problem, most are the hose, but some are "software" related. Besides the hose, what kinds of fixes have you guys been getting for this problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reading Topic: Check Engine Light

Well, the light went off on my way home from work. It must be a bad sensor or software bug. I'll ;et you know what the dealership says on Monday.

L

·
0 Posts

Got my new 6s at 2:30 pm, engine light pops on at 6:30 pm...

Dammit, I've been driving Toyotas for 14 years --NEVER had a problem with anything. I guess I should have known (Why is it that everything Ford makes, or comes near to, SUCKS??)

God, I wish I still had my Toyota....and my money back

·
Registered
77 Posts

Sorry to hear about the CEL on you 6s. If you read the posts on this board there have been some posts about a vac line that comes loose from the throttle area that can cause a CEL. This problem was in the first batches of the V6's. This has suposably been rectified in future production and Mazda has a kit to fix the problem and stop any reocurrance. Also, not to be a D#*!, but the Mazda 6 is not a Ford product. Just because the V6 was derived from a Ford engine and Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda's stock and owns 50% of the AAI plant, doesnt mean its a Ford product.....its a Mazda product. Good luck with the CEL problem, keep the faith, the 6 is a great car, just that sometimes these things happen in first year production vehicles. Happens in Honda's and Toyo's too....

L

·
0 Posts

thanks, darmc96:
any idea why the dealer wouldn't have been aware of the problem, and kit, if it's a known issue? Also, a controlling interest in Mazda's stock and owning 50% of the AAI plant, doesnt mean its a Ford product, per se, but it certatinly can influence the "bottom line" on quality - control cost/benefit decisions. I have read that the cars assembled in Japan have a flawless record, compared with American assembly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replying to Topic 'Check Engine Light'

I just spoke with a service rep at my local dealership. He told me the error code was related to the variable cam timing. He said that the technician believes there is an oricife that occasionally gets blocked...which would explain the intermittent nature of the CEL coming on. He said that they called Mazda's Technical help line and they told my dealer that there is new diagnostic software coming from Mazda for the dealerships to use. The new diagnostics haven't been made available to the dealerships yet because the car "is too new" according to the tech line.

so basically I have no real answer. The service guy told me to bring it in if the light comes on again. They will let me know when they hear from Mazda about a fix.

Not too encouraging. At least the car still drives ok. The engine is still smooth and there are no real problems.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Yes, but seeing as Toyota and Honda assemble there cars here just like Mazda is doing with American workers, I really don't see that there is a difference here other than the fact that Ford owns a controlling financial interest in Mazda and therefore, when Mazda was failing and Ford was buying into them more and more, they begun using and eventually purchased half of the AAI plant. Every car company out there has the same "bottom" line versus "quality" debate. I have owned 2 cars produced at the AAI plant and would put the quality up against any other car maker/US assembler, period.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by libr0
I have read that the cars assembled in Japan have a flawless record, compared with American assembly.  [/b]
Don't believe everything you read. There are some American assembled cars that have problems and there are some from Japan.

Browes around here for a while
NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation

M

·
0 Posts

Just thought I'd add my CEL experience to this forum. I picked up my 6s last Saturday from the dealer and the CEL came on the following Monday after about 450 miles or so on the car. I checked the EGR hose, gas cap, etc, and all those seemed to be fine. The dealer said that they had already installed the new EGR kit. Took the car in to the dealer yesterday and they installed the new software upgrade everyone's been talking about. Great, but now the car won't go into reverse!! They say the transmission is fine, but it looks like there's a bad interface somewhere in the computer. We'll find out what happens.

·
Registered
94 Posts

At 550 miles my cel light came on and the dealer said that it was a false reading but has to do with the emisions and not to worry about it. now I'm at 1500 and it has stayed off.

·
Registered
142 Posts

My CEL light came on at around 450 miles, a week after i got the car. I was about to take it to the dealer and my roommate said his car did the same thing when it was new, and that the o2 sensors pic up the cats burning in and it gives a false reading, so we pulled the neg battery cable and cleared the code, and it hasnt come back on yet, if it does, its going back to the dealer

oh and i checked the hose, I have the new one so thats not it

·
Registered
628 Posts

btw - you didn't 'clear' the code. You just made the light go out. The code is still stored in the ECU. You can only 'clear' the code if you have the right code-reader to actually delete it from the ECU's memory.

just fyi...

·
Registered
142 Posts

Well the light came back on saturday morning, so i called after work and made an appointment for monday after work, by the time i got there the light was off, fiqures. so they hooked it to the computer and it said that cylinder #4 misfired, and the light turned off because the car had been started and shut off 7 times without the same problem happeneing again. So they checked everything out and didnt see anything wrong, so they cleared the code and i was on my way.
Next day im comming hoe from work, light comes on, back to mazda again, Same thing, #4 misfired, so they swapped out the coil to #4 and that was alomost a week ago, no light since.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts