Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been driving my 6 around for about 3 weeks with just under 2,000 miles. Three days ago, I turn the ignition on and the check engine light would not come off! It was fine just 20 minutes ago!

I went to the dealership and found out that it's a glitch in the system. The evaporation system self-checks when the ignition is off, and when you get the juices flowing before this check is over, the check engine light comes on (at least that's what they said).

The guy said that Mazda was making a new chip to fix that glitch. So I'm not-so-eagerly waiting for a recall. Are there any other owners out there with the same sort of problem?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Reading Topic: Check engine light

Yeah. Several of us had it. It's always the emissions system. Mine came on once in very cold weather and I haven't seen it since.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Yes, I had this happen to me also with about 850 miles on my 6.. I took it to the dealer and they plugged something that looked like a USb cable into a USB port right underneath the driver kick/floor panel, right above the pedals.. This thing plugged in and was connected to a portable computer/tv screen.... He said that I was the first person with this problem with the 6 and didn't know what it was at all since it's a brand new car... He ran some tests with this screen and found nothing wrong. So he said he wanted to check it out in full detail..WHICH MENT I HAD TO LEAVE MY CAR THERE ALL DAY..when I came to pick it up that early evening, they still didn't find anything wrong or nothing that could have caused the engine light to go on.. they asked me if my performace was changed in any way and I told them no.. He said it's nothing but a glitch in the software/computer codes and every month they are going to recieve new codes, because the computer codes are constintly changing.. He just turned off the engine light and told me everything was fine.. BUT if I had any performance changes, then I had to go back.. He also told me to come back next month if I want (which I am going to) to update my computer software codes.. so all my codes are up to date and they will know what happens to my car the next time a glitch light occurs again.. Hope this helped.. by the way... when I went to pick up my car that early evening and they told me it was nothing, I found out that they had scratched the front right lip and the back left bumper of my sport kit fasicas.. I complained and told them it's a brand new damn car and they should fix it... They told me they will but not now in the winter because it'll be too cold for the paint... so they said in the spring/summer.... so I'm stuck with these scrapes for a while.. it's bad too because my car is the glacier silver and all you see it black plastic scrape lines underneath it.. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

·
Registered
514 Posts

Touch up the paint in the meantime (ask for free touch-up paint). Should get you through the winter.

-Alt

·
Registered
88 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Check engine light'

My cel came on yesterday with about 1600 miles on the car. I have an appointment Monday to have the car checked out so I'll have to wait to see what the problem is. I checked the gas cap and the vacuum line so hopefully it's just one of those "glitches". :sarc

·
Registered
286 Posts

*Knock on wood* I haven't had any real problems with my car except the alignment being off.

I did notice that there were some scratches on my bumpers, the dealership fixed it, but the scratch on the back reappeared. I'm not going to even worry about it because I don't have a garage to keep it in. Stuff like this is going to happen, fact of life. Now, i'll be HIGHLY pissed if someone in my neighborhood dings it. I'll have to slash some tires in retaliation (I wouldn't actually do that, but I will leave a nasty note).

I'll get the car detailed sometimes soon though..... needs it...

·
Registered
315 Posts

It's good to know the dealers ARE being helpful and are working with customers. That speaks volumes for Mazda. Customer service after the sale is a very important factor.
It's good to know that Mazda is acknowledging an issue and will have a resolution.
Things like this happen all the time. How they are handled is what service is all about.

Tome

·
Registered
517 Posts

The Check Engine Light (or CEL, or Multifunction Indicator Lamp, or MIL) signals a fault has been detected in the vehicle's emissions system. The only way to investigate why the CEL is illuminated is to connect an instrument such as a scan tool to the diagnostic port and download whatever Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) are present. A DTC in this case is an alphanumeric string in the format Pnnnn, where n is a number.

The dealer can certainly download the codes, but another option is to go to an auto parts store (Autozone for sure, maybe others) and have them download the codes for you at no cost. While the vehicle is under warranty, though, there's no reason not to take it to the dealer and let them thoroughly diagnose the problem.

There is no other way to even venture a guess as to why the CEL came on. Without the DTCs, speculation is futile. Okay, if after a CEL you discover your gas cap wasn't put on after your last fillup, that may well be the cause. But it certainly isn't the only one!

Quite often a CEL is accompanied by no discernible change in vehicle driveability, but for whatever reason the powertrain control module (PCM) isn't happy with something it sees. The CEL isn't like the oil pressure light in that you can continue driving with the CEL on, but don't expect to pass a state emissions test with a CEL (or a recently-reset CEL; see below).

Sometimes, it is indeed a "glitch" in the system that triggers the light. The way to test this is to reset the PCM (which can be done by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes; note that you'll then have to reset your radio stations and whatnot. Perhaps someone else can determine which fuses could be pulled to ONLY de-power the PCM) and see if the CEL subsequently comes back on. Note that some diagnostic tests run by the PCM take days or even weeks of driving to complete, so don't hold your breath after reconnecting the battery.

Pardon the dissertation... I'm sick at home today and am using the Web to hold on to my sanity... :hammerhea For more on the Check Engine Light and OBD-II, see http://www.obdii.com/obdii.html.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts