Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out at the races last nite lined up with a is300 since i have an autostick the only way to get rpms up for a good launch is to hold the brake and mash the gas..(take the tcs off if your going to do this raises the lauch 1000 rpms) on my 3rd run after letting go of the brake the check engine light kicked on???wtf....in a honda (ive owned 5 of them only one automatic) this never happened....i am guessing it has someything to do with the mass airflow sensor...i really dont know anything about maf or mas what ever they are...would this sensor play a roll in the engine light coming on...the light did turn off after sitting over nite and havent had any problems since...also the car ran fine after the light turned on.......one last question..anyone know how much HP the 6s automatic tranny can hold and if any one makes an after market stall converter or torque converter (i cant remember the actual name) to raise the launch point dor my auto 3000 barly gets the car out the hole.....

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
Reading Topic: check engine light

Im sure it could hold about another 50 HP just fine... I believe the part you are looking for is a torque converter cylanoid.. It holds the RPMs at idle and also tells the tranny when to shift gears back down at a specified RPMs.

As far as your check engine light goes... I dont know what could have caused it although the MAS sensor might play a part. Nowadays the check engine light will come on for almost anything :)

_Abs

·
Registered
76 Posts

What you need is an aftermarket torque converter with a higher "stall" speed. But if the auto tranny is already allowing 3000rpm stall, that's pretty high already. Any higher and you'll probably be taking a driveability hit. For comparison, Accord and Maxima V6 auto tranny's both stall at around 2200rpm or so.

What you need are some mods

Some pulleys and/or headers would probably do the trick and get you off the line much more forcefully ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thanks...but looks like round 2 for no reason at all last nite when was driving home the engine light turned on again...looks like im off to the dealer....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

hahaha yeah its not first on either they dont get out of the hole that well...then again it could be the driver...being fairly even in horse power once some one gets ahead its pretty much over.....i cant wait till the end of feb when i get the headers,exhaust,and cai....half a car will turn into much more a with a nitrous express kit coming beware of the 6 i am hoping for over 300hp at the crank and over 220 at the wheels with all the mods and nitrous...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Replying to Topic 'check engine light'

I don't want to burst your bubble and it's your car so you will do as you please.
But, you don't sound as if you know much about cars. That's NOT an insult just an observation.
In that case, I would recommend you NOT run NOS. NOS is one of those things that needs to be done correctly or you can seriously screw you engine.

Also, the auto tranny may not be able to handle the added torque of the NOS.

Regarding you check engine light (CEL); why are you mentioning the MAF/MAS?
Did you run the car with the air filter removed? Did you do ANY modifications at the drag strip?

One very quick thing you can check is the gas cap. Make sure it's on straight and not cross threaded. This happens a lot in newer cars where the CEL will light if the cap is not on correctly. Unscrew it and put it back on nicely and make sure you get at least 1-3 clicks on it. It may take a couple starts to clear the code.
If this doesn't work, then the dealer is your next step.
I know I don't have to remind you to not tell the dealer where it happened?

Tome

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

first off i have built 6 cars 1 of them being automatic....everyone has had nitrous..a 91 civic with a b16 and 80 shot of nitrous...and 95 civic with a b18c5 with 75 shot of nitrous...and automatic h23 prelude with an h22 head swap with a 80 shot of nitrous..my car i just sold a 96 integra with an ls 125 shot of nitrous (that one requred the bottom end being rebuilt)....and finally a 386 whp crx...fully built engine,turbo,hondata engine manegment,oh yeah and a nitrous express intercooler kit to lower the air intake temp even cooler before it gets to the motor (in case you didnt know what nitrous is used for on turbo cars)...if you want proof i am more that happy to show you time slips pics what ever you want.....and all were stock trannies with the exception of 2 with lsd and all except the prelude having an act clutch...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...2400605030&rd=1

try this web site out...its one of the cars i helped build...his names jeff gsr turbo over 250 whp...motor bone stock except for turbo...he still has the original honda clutch...he is sponsered by alba wheels,fusion motors,bfgoodrich and optima batteries....so there is a reference....

as for the check engine light it ended up being a leaking fuel pump...and the reason i asked about the mas/maf (first i have never worked on a car with one) is because isnt a MAS sensor a mas airflow sensor, and if i was stalled at 2800 rpm for over 30 seconds at the line would you be able to make an asumption that the sensor was reading all this air coming in and the car wasnt moving????being an obd2 car just about anything can kick on a check engine light... just like you said a gas cap....so why not asked about the mas/maf sensor

And as for the tranny if it cant handle lets say an additional 90hp at the craNck minus an average 20% loss to the wheels leaving it with about a 72hp gain at the wheels putting the 6 at about 240 to the wheels i am going to give my car back to mazda and tell them they have just built the worst tranny on earth.......a turbo integra ls with everything stock(except for fuel system) at 10psi put down 246whp on a stock tranny.....

bottom line is dont assume anything and if you you dont ever break something you never used it to its full potential.....and with this being a new car someone has to push the limits... and i am no where near the limits of this tranny or motor with an additional 90crank hp....for ex the svt contour with a turbo kit pushed over 240 wheel hp on a stock tranny....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts