Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is still under warranty(18k miles), changed oil myself 4000miles ago(mobile1) with receipts from autozone.

Today driving to work notice engine light on near last 1-4 miles of the trip, baby the car to work.

check oil about 2k mile ago and was about 1/4 from max.

check oil today and is about 1/2 from max

so the engine is burning oil... possible PCV Valve issue?

I did not get an oil light, the Check engine light come on only.

do the 6 throw CEL for maintnence purpose?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
do you have an aftermarket intake? normally, a car will not throw a cel for loss of oil. i would go to autozone and have them check the code for free. then take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, only the airbox mod(with the resonator box on still).

a friend of mine happen to have a scanner at work, so will try to see if I can pull the cel code.

do the 6 throw CEL for maintnence purpose?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scantool read P0455 and 2 times P2189, the 2189 maybe due to the air box mod? but why does it read twice?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
it reads twice because its a pending code and an actual code.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
well when your car first realizes something is wrong it will throw a pending code which it stores for a short ammount of time so the car can gather more data to make sure something is actualy wrong with the car. for example if you have no catalytic convertors on your car the car will detect an increase in emissions efficiency it will throw a pending code and it will be stored in the computer for a few more cycles and if the computer is still reading a decrease in emission efficiency it will then throw a cel. I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, thx very much.

seem like the P0455 maybe either a lose gas cap or the TB TSB

but i checked after the cel came on and didn't feel it is loose.

plus last i filled up in and since have driven 2wice one short 10mile trip and one 300 mile trip back to chicago and neither trip show a cel, not until today when I goto work 14mile trip that I notice the cel came on the last 1-4 miles(i frequently check my speed on the highway and didn't notice a cel earlier int he trip)

One of my friend have a OBD2 USB scanner and I have him clear the code, if it still throw cel again, then i will make appointment with my dealer.

as to the P2189, i guess i will undo my airbox mod

I will need to check my PCV valve, since I put in 6 quart of oil(5.5 in engine and 0.5 in filter) last oil change and now I"m only at half point between max and min. mean the engine is burning more oil than it should

1 - 8 of 8 Posts