Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody!

The most unexpected thing just happened to me and my M6 this morning... the CEL came on! At 345 miles on the car, the engine light came on! It wasn’t blinking, which was a relief, so instinctively, I checked the gas cap; it was on and secure. I turned the engine off and waited a few minutes and turned it back on, the light was still there. So I bit the bullet and called the dealer.

They have my baby now, no update yet. I was kind of upset with the substitute car they gave me; I was hoping for another Mazda6, like a Speed or an RX-8, but instead, I was handed the keys to a Mitsubishi Lancer. It would have been fine if it was an EVO, but I was sporting an eccono, bottom of the line Lancer. Oh well, it got me to work. I’m just mainly concerned about my M6!

Is this common (the CEL)? Did I do something wrong? I have been granny shifting and keeping the RPMS around 2500 during the break-in period. I’ve put in Premium Fuel in her. I was under the impression from the Manual that 91 or better was preferred. CEL’s are usually an emission problem, no? And the engine being only 345 miles old, I can’t figure out an emission issue. Oh well, I am suppose to hear later this afternoon on the condition of my M6.

Thanxs for letting me vent!

Kind Regards,
-Armand

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
87 Huh? Oops, misread that in the manual. Thanxs for the heads up!

Good news though... the dealer called and informed me of the problem; apparently, something to do about the throttle sensor getting stuck and the throttle body had to be replaced. Sounded simple enough. Not sure how something like that happens though? I will be picking her up after work. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel of a REAL car.

:drive:

·
Registered
517 Posts
87 Huh? Oops, misread that in the manual. Thanxs for the heads up!

Good news though... the dealer called and informed me of the problem; apparently, something to do about the throttle sensor getting stuck and the throttle body had to be replaced. Sounded simple enough. Not sure how something like that happens though? I will be picking her up after work. Can't wait to get back behind the wheel of a REAL car.

:drive:
[/b]
Ask the dealer what the actual trouble code(s) were. A powertrain/emissions code ought to look like Pnnnn, where n is a number. Someone here can lookup the meaning of the code for you.

gas cap?
[/b]
There are hundreds upon hundreds of potential trouble codes. A loose gas cap just happens to be the one everyone knows about and reflexively offers as the solution (in this case, 7 hours after the dealership's diagnosis was posted).

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had a CEL pop up as well within the first 1000 miles of owning my car. I believe I unintentionally (or was it on purpose... hmmm...) revved the car into the redline zone and it came on. I had the CEL on for about a week because I was lazy and figured I can stick it out for a couple of months until I had to go to the dealer for my first oil change (very irresponsible of me) which was actually just a month ago. The CEL shut off when I revved the car into the redline zone again a week later and it hasn't been on ever since (so far, about two months). It was probably something stupid like a misfire. Eh... I'm not mechanically-inclined. In the three months I had my 6, it's gone through some hell, like flash-flooding, off-roading, and the torture of a couple drunk girls with toothpaste, gum, and toilet paper (I wanted to cry then). It still looks brand new and performs flawlessly.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
...apparently, something to do about the throttle sensor getting stuck and the throttle body had to be replaced. Sounded simple enough. Not sure how something like that happens though?...
[/b]
this car has problems with factory TBs...it's not a bad thing to have it go out at the beginning...you should be fine from here on out.

·
Registered
781 Posts
and the torture of a couple drunk girls with toothpaste, gum, and toilet paper
[/b]
I can under stand the gum but whats the toothpaste a toilet paper for???

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I had the weekend to try her out, she seems fine. Hope this is the last of it, at least for the first 3000 miles! Thanxs for the input guys!

BTW: I'll make sure to avoid the drunk chixs w/ TP! :p

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You should break her in hard, forget this granny shifting! Its good for the car and you'll have more power in the long run. there is a thread about it somewhere. Also make sure to change your oil at 1000 miles, even though the dealer will look at you funny. Your car will thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts