Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Reading Topic: cheap upgrades for 6s

Air box mod for one, it's cheap and takes about 10-15 minutes to do, see the 6 Sound thread in this forum on how to do it.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

$0 and no.

·
Registered
895 Posts

Has anyone actually verified it increases power to the wheels, and if so, what amount?

·
Registered
100 Posts

An air box modification may add 1 - 2 hp at the wheels, if you're lucky.

Of course I haven't verified these numbers, but that's basically standard for all cars, even with the addition of an aftermarket cold air intake system. You aren't going to feel any difference in my experience.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Replying to Topic 'cheap upgrades for 6s'

Originally posted by mike6758

Of course I haven't verified these numbers, but that's basically standard for all cars, even with the addition of an aftermarket cold air intake system.  You aren't going to feel any difference in my experience.[/b]

I have had cars on the dyno make less power with the addition of an Air intake/ air box mods. For example I have seen as much as 4 hp and 10ftlbs of torque lost by simply adding a short ram style intake system to a G35 sedan. Why??? who knows.....but I would guess its because of the way air is forced into the TB or the at the rate that its forced in. On the flip side to this I have also seen 5-8 hp gains on cars by adding a complete cold air intake system.

Junior

·
Registered
20 Posts

HI,

I have a new mazda 6s 5spd manual, and when I added a K&N High flow filter I noticed a drop in power. All my previous vehicles responded well to this upgrade, but this V6 does not seem to resond well to intake modifications. I sold that filter and put the intake back to stock. This car seems to be doing a better job with the stock setup.

-Nick

·
Registered
6 Posts

Cheap HP is NOS....a kit is about $500 gives you 50HP thats 1hp per $10 then refills for the kit are $30.... Cheap, But realalistically, Once you push the button you want more.

Thats my two cents.

·
Registered
383 Posts

Don't forget about using colors like yellow, gaudy graphics, huge wings and giant exhaust tips. Those things really help one go fast! ;)

·
Registered
315 Posts

Originally posted by costabilo

HI,

I have a new mazda 6s 5spd manual, and when I added a K&N High flow filter I noticed a drop in power.  All my previous vehicles responded well to this upgrade, but this V6 does not seem to resond well to intake modifications.  I sold that filter and put the intake back to stock.  This car seems to be doing a better job with the stock setup.

-Nick[/b]
That's odd. I have a K&N filter for my 6s, and I think it helps out a lot. But I also have the airbox mod too, and that makes a nice difference. Really, the only way to know for sure is to dyno the the car, or take it to the track and do several runs stock and several with the K&N. The numbers will tell the story. It's really hard to tell just by how the car feels.

·
Registered
298 Posts

hey guys...what kind of air box modification are you guys talking about???

elmer

Originally posted by mike6758

Of course I haven't verified these numbers, but that's basically standard for all cars, even with the addition of an aftermarket cold air intake system.  You aren't going to feel any difference in my experience.[/b]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts