Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to be changing all the spark plugs and coils in my 2004 V6 and was wondering if copper NGK plugs and a cheap set of coils from rock auto would suffice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered plugs and a set of platinum NGK plugs. Also a plenum gasket to change.

I head there is different types of gaskets depending on the year?

·
Rally Racer
2,187 Posts
There are different gaskets yes. All Mk.1 (2003-2007) 3.0L V6 will be the same. The Mk.2 (2008-2012) 3.7L V6 will be the same.
Be very careful when disconnecting the coil plugs as they get exceedingly brittle.
Use the service to replace the PCV valve and update the rubber hose if it has not already been updated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are different gaskets yes. All Mk.1 (2003-2007) 3.0L V6 will be the same. The Mk.2 (2008-2012) 3.7L V6 will be the same.
Be very careful when disconnecting the coil plugs as they get exceedingly brittle.
Use the service to replace the PCV valve and update the rubber hose if it has not already been updated.
Fel-Pro MS961241 Plenum Gasket Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Q0VU2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_SKucEbEHAJ0Z6

I grabbed these. Hopefully it fits like OE.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I’m going to be changing all the spark plugs and coils in my 2004 V6 and was wondering if copper NGK plugs and a cheap set of coils from rock auto would suffice?
Contrary to the advertising copy, there is very little performance difference among brands and models of major brand spark plugs. The difference in price between the very top end plugs and the cheapest plugs is negligible compared to the labor costs for the replacement (especially if the car has a transversely mounted V6) but there are durability differences, which will affect how often you need to swap plugs. If you go cheap, your savings will buy you a latte at Starbucks and not much more. NGK is a major brand manufacturer of excellent plugs, and if you are careful to get the right plugs (heat range and gap) for your engine, the copper NGK plugs will be just fine.

We run a 2004 wagon that has a V6 engine; I assume that your 2004 has the I-4 engine. We have used only very top end parts since we purchased our Mazda6 14 years ago. The one time that we swapped plugs (around 100k miles), we fitted our Mazda6 with Bosch Iridium plugs, >More Information for BOSCH 9657 if we have to swap plugs again, we will make the same choice. One warning: some models of Bosch plugs are NG; the Bosch Iridium plugs, however, are excellent and durable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Contrary to the advertising copy, there is very little performance difference among brands and models of major brand spark plugs. The difference in price between the very top end plugs and the cheapest plugs is negligible compared to the labor costs for the replacement (especially if the car has a transversely mounted V6) but there are durability differences, which will affect how often you need to swap plugs. If you go cheap, your savings will buy you a latte at Starbucks and not much more. NGK is a major brand manufacturer of excellent plugs, and if you are careful to get the right plugs (heat range and gap) for your engine, the copper NGK plugs will be just fine.

We run a 2004 wagon that has a V6 engine; I assume that your 2004 has the I-4 engine. We have used only very top end parts since we purchased our Mazda6 14 years ago. The one time that we swapped plugs (around 100k miles), we fitted our Mazda6 with Bosch Iridium plugs, >More Information for BOSCH 9657 if we have to swap plugs again, we will make the same choice. One warning: some models of Bosch plugs are NG; the Bosch Iridium plugs, however, are excellent and durable.
I ended up getting Denso platinum plugs. Hopefully they are as good as NGK, Motorcraft and Bosch.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
NGK is a major brand manufacturer of excellent plugs, and if you are careful to get the right plugs (heat range and gap) for your engine, the copper NGK plugs will be just fine.
Dont post misinformation like this. You cannot run copper in this ignition system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts